Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 PM

906 posts, read 711,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh, I get it. You come from a place where women are second-class citizens. In this country, we are not. If you can't wrap your head around that, oh well.
Hmm ok, something to consider. Personally, I don't consider women beneath me. I even have a whole thoery that suggests women are 100 times more valuable in the human species based on reproductive ability alone.

But I don't think men and women are equal. I don't think we are the same. Getting political, I think we should be considered equal under the law (we are not, men are lesser there) but I do recognize differences between us. My last position on the topic was "different but complimentary".

Having said that, holding my culture against me is uncalled for. Im guessing youre of white european ancestry. Now, Im not the type to trade cultural barbs with anyone but given the recents actions of members of your culture..slavery and colonization..I really don't think you have any ground from which to postulate morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
It works for many people. Why do you feel the need to spew your vitriol on a thread that has nothing to do with this? Geez. Just leave it be.
Fair enough, perhaps not the right place.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Hmm ok, something to consider. Personally, I don't consider women beneath me. I even have a whole thoery that suggests women are 100 times more valuable in the human species based on reproductive ability alone.

But I don't think men and women are equal. I don't think we are the same. Getting political, I think we should be considered equal under the law (we are not, men are lesser there) but I do recognize differences between us. My last position on the topic was "different but complimentary".

Having said that, holding my culture against me is uncalled for. Im guessing youre of white european ancestry. Now, Im not the type to trade cultural barbs with anyone but given the recents actions of members of your culture..slavery and colonization..I really don't think you have any ground from which to postulate morality.
Yes, men and women are different, but both are people. Women are not commodities. If you marry someday, your wife will not be your possession.

I'm not "holding your culture against you". To the contrary, I am cutting you some slack due to cultural differences. Some of your statements are highly offensive. I have not enslaved or colonized anyone, thank you very much.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, men and women are different, but both are people. Women are not commodities. If you marry someday, your wife will not be your possession.

I'm not "holding your culture against you". To the contrary, I am cutting you some slack due to cultural differences. Some of your statements are highly offensive. I have not enslaved or colonized anyone, thank you very much.
Neither have I. Nor have I owned anyone. In fact, talking about culture and the attitude of ownership over a person, I find it amusing that you are cutting me slack due to my culture when it is precisely that culture that has spent the last 50 odd years not only underlining that point to your own culture, but also while having members of my culture die and be killed by members of yours while doing so.

I dont want your slack.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Neither have I. Nor have I owned anyone. In fact, talking about culture and the attitude of ownership over a person, I find it amusing that you are cutting me slack due to my culture when it is precisely that culture that has spent the last 50 odd years not only underlining that point to your own culture, but also while having members of my culture die and be killed by members of yours while doing so.

I dont want your slack.
As you wish. My opinion of you has now plummeted back down to where it was before I knew you are from another culture.

Also, your reasoning is convoluted and irrational.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 AM

477 posts, read 314,484 times
Quote:
As you wish. My opinion of you has now plummeted back down to where it was before I knew you are from another culture.

Also, your reasoning is convoluted and irrational.
I disagree! This was actually a pretty good exchange of differing points of view. You made great points on the sexism and gender issues and he made really good points on the racism and cultural inequality issues. I can't stand gender inequality but whether you personally oppressed anyone or not, you are still from the culture that did. And you probably still reap the benefits of European privilege.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
I disagree! This was actually a pretty good exchange of differing points of view. You made great points on the sexism and gender issues and he made really good points on the racism and cultural inequality issues. I can't stand gender inequality but whether you personally oppressed anyone or not, you are still from the culture that did. And you probably still reap the benefits of European privilege.
I have not personally oppressed anyone. I have no control over what my ancestors may or may not have done.

Gum has personally made some very sexist and bigoted statements. Gum has complete control of his own statements.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:55 AM

477 posts, read 314,484 times
Quote:
I have not personally oppressed anyone. I have no control over what my ancestors may or may not have done.

Gum has personally made some very sexist and bigoted statements. Gum has complete control of his own statements.
I realize that you haven't personally oppressed anyone and that's great! But, you still currently reap the benefits of European privilege as a result of the oppression of your ancestors. Just like with male privilege.

I totally agree with you on the second point. Gum has complete control of his own statements, and sexism is intolerable! Any kind of bigotry is!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:56 AM

1,273 posts, read 990,701 times
Quote:
What is "my ilk"?
https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...-browser&q=ilk

Old 11-14-2015, 09:05 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Oh I see!!!

It took me ages to realise what PUA was aswell LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships