Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

The OP's husband probably took out an enormous loan to get the business going and needs his wife to pitch in to get the business established. I imagine he's stressed out and afraid to miss a day of potential income.

Her "free" labor is probably necessary at this point. That's unfortunate for both of them. Hiring help costs money.

The only thing that will save her relationship is better communication on both sides. Maybe there is an older couple in their lives who can coach them on how to negotiate their way through rough patches in marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I wonder how many sighs this guy hears during the day? Or how many times she stops working to check FB or texts? She must be a joy to work with.

If I were him I'd hire a hot babe to work with me in that small truck. Yeah, she'd be really upset about that I'm sure.
That is FUNNY, funnymann. I wonder why City-Data doesn't have a laughing icon? They need to update their icon choices.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The era of the "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle, i.e. Ward goes off to work and June stays home to take care of Wally and the Beav, is over.

Now it takes both husband and wife working hard to make a living.

As I used to tell my kids when they were in school, "Enjoy your childhood. The real world sucks."
June to Ward in the morning: "you were awful hard on the beaver last night!"

Old 11-12-2015, 06:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
But the OP is NOT whining about having to and needing to work. The OP is suggesting she does not want to work FOR HIM any more in THIS job. That is an entirely different thing. Not once in the OP does she anywhere suggest she has a problem with working.
Neither did she say (or even imply) that she wanted to work for anyone else in any other job. She's whining about not having enough time with friends so clearly she is wanting to use some of that time for hanging with friends not working for someone else.

She doesn't want to do her share in the work of this business (and support is more than "yay, you go get 'em, honey") but I'll bet she has no problem sharing the profits. Maybe they could sign some kind of agreement where he does all the work and the business is his separate non-marital property?

Bottom-line: she's too young and immature to be married. She's still a kid (maybe a teenager) that wants to play with friends. Nothing wrong with that, except when you try to force it to be something else.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Maybe if this business enjoys more success, he'll be able to hire someone. Maybe one day he'll own a fleet of these trucks. But for now he needs her help to get over the hump.

As for June Cleaver, man she was hot, but it must've been uncomfortable doing housework in high heels.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
I wonder how many sighs this guy hears during the day? Or how many times she stops working to check FB or texts? She must be a joy to work with.
Nothing wrong with imagining such things if that is what you want to do - but I personally prefer to just go on the information I have - without making stuff up myself. And there is no mention of any of this in the OP.

Quote:
If I were him I'd hire a hot babe to work with me in that small truck. Yeah, she'd be really upset about that I'm sure.
Sounds like a pretty malicious approach to life. I can merely be thankfully I do not share it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
That's the impression I got from the OP. It sounded like teen-age whining to me.
In a world where many many many people get to spend entire weekends off work with their loved one - I genuinely can not see how to describe this girl wanting "One day off" to spend with her husband outside of work as being "whining". Perhaps you are just hearing what you want to hear really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
The OP's husband probably took out an enormous loan to get the business going and needs his wife to pitch in to get the business established. I imagine he's stressed out and afraid to miss a day of potential income.
"Imaging" being the key word in your post there. We simply have no idea what the financial situation of the business currently is. We DO know from the OP however that she DID help him get the business established and she HAS pitched in a lot. There is no onus on her to do any of that - yet she did - the question now simply becomes how can she be best facilitated to now step back - and get on with her own life. Yet this is a conversation that - judging by the OPs story - the man in question is not willing to engage in. And that is NOT a good thing. And so I think we agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
The only thing that will save her relationship is better communication on both sides.
...... this is probably the one thing most true on the entire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Neither did she say (or even imply) that she wanted to work for anyone else in any other job.
Exactly my point - so jumping to ANY conclusions here is clearly unwarranted. That is the point I am making - so nice of you to make it too.

Quote:
She's whining about not having enough time with friends so clearly she is wanting to use some of that time for hanging with friends not working for someone else.
Hardly whining at all. You are projecting now. She mentioned them once - in a short sentence - and nothing more. You too are hearing what you want to here - and ascribing tone to suit what you want to hear. Actually work-life balance is something MANY people struggle with - and seek help with - and the OP has no less right to express that than anyone else without being labelled as whining.

Quote:
She doesn't want to do her share in the work of this business (and support is more than "yay, you go get 'em, honey") but I'll bet she has no problem sharing the profits.
What "share" is this. Just because his chosen career involves owning his own business - does not mean she has any onus _at all_ to work in that business. It is a job like any other job. And most of us have nothing to do with our partners job or career. Why should this be different when you own your own business? The only "share" she should have in it - is one of her own choosing.

She has already been supportive and done a share by helping so hard in getting him established in that business. There are innumerable ways to support your partner in life without directly working for them or with them too. Yet you act like him starting a business automatically places obligations on her in some way. It does not.

Quote:
Maybe they could sign some kind of agreement where he does all the work and the business is his separate non-marital property?
That would be up to them but I would see no benefit of it. For example in couples where one partner works and one stays at home - do they do this? Why is it suddenly magically different from any other job merely because he himself owns the business? It - like any job - is his chosen career path and one of the possible streams of money into the household. Nothing wrong with that, except when you try to force it to be something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Maybe if this business enjoys more success, he'll be able to hire someone. Maybe one day he'll own a fleet of these trucks. But for now he needs her help to get over the hump.
We do not know any of that at this time. The OP said nothing about the financial situation of the business currently. We simply have no idea of whether he is currently in a position to hire or not. All we know is "It has been successful" - "he needs help" - and when she tries to discuss hiring someone he angrily shuts down conversation.

Those are the only facts we have there. Anything else is merely from your own imagination until the OP tells us more.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:18 AM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
OMG, the OP has to work, and not see friends all the time... the HORROR!!!!

OP: Grow up and contribute to society. What were you thinking getting married so young, btw?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
You should quit and go on welfare, live off others who work. Half the country lives that way.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
OMG, the OP has to work, and not see friends all the time... the HORROR!!!!
I do not see the OP anywhere complaining that she is not seeing them "all the time" - but that she is not seeing them much AT ALL. And that is a genuine concern. Work-Life balance is monumentally important for our health and well being and if the former becomes all encompassing over the latter - that can be damaging at many many levels.

Quote:
OP: Grow up and contribute to society.
She supported her husband heavily as he set up a business and got it off the ground to a point it was "Very successful". If that is not a contribution to society then I am not sure what your standards of expectation actually are!

Quote:
What were you thinking getting married so young, btw?
Hardly our business is it - let alone our place to judge?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM

252 posts, read 187,999 times
Does OP want to get a different job or just chill at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships