Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:03 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I did a search and the previous thread on dating sites is 5 years old so thought it would be alright to start a new one.

Right now I'm on POF & Okcupid. They are both free which is great but also creates a lot of traffic and most women on the site get probably 30+ messages a day so it's a lot of competition etc.

I'm on match.com but have not done anything because you have to pay. That leads me to my question. If you pay for match.com I know you can send a message. But does the person you're sending the message to also need to be a paid subscriber? If not I was thinking of trying out the pay plan but it almost seems pointless if they have to be a paying subscriber as well. Does that make sense?

Also, any other legit reputable dating sites you all recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:32 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
I wouldn't recommend any. My friends and I have met better people offline. Most of the people on dating sites are there for sex only, players, looking for someone to support them emotionally and financially (including men), and/or have exaggerated profiles. We find it amazing the number of people who are stuck with the same mentality of their 20s, on anti-depressants, and are in serious financial trouble. My friend tried the pay sites only to discover the same people were on the free ones. And yes, they have to be a paid member to respond.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:36 AM

361 posts, read 333,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I wouldn't recommend any. My friends and I have met better people offline. Most of the people on dating sites are there for sex only, players, looking for someone to support them emotionally and financially (including men), and/or have exaggerated profiles. We find it amazing the number of people who are stuck with the same mentality of their 20s, on anti-depressants, and are in serious financial trouble. My friend tried the pay sites only to discover the same people were on the free ones. And yes, they have to be a paid member to respond.
I agree. Online dating makes people lazy and it will never compare to having a real experience and talking to real people. I still like Tinder though because it can be really fun but it is hard to take it too seriously.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:49 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
That's strange. There have been new threads started just recently about "dating sites". I have been watching them.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
That's strange. There have been new threads started just recently about "dating sites". I have been watching them.
When I typed "Dating sites" into the title only 1 came up and it was from 2010.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I had great success with dating sites and felt that it was an awesome way to meet people and get out of the house. I met my wife on POF, and would have probably never had that opportunity otherwise.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I agree. Online dating makes people lazy and it will never compare to having a real experience and talking to real people. I still like Tinder though because it can be really fun but it is hard to take it too seriously.
I think it varies for different people. I'm in my 30's. I don't go to bars or clubs. I work full time. And all my friends are married and believe it or not really do not have any single friends.

So the pool of people I see is very very small. It's not that I'm trying to use it as the only source for dating but just trying to expand my circle for maybe the one time I find somebody who has a lot in common with me.

It's funny you say the first comment but then mention you like tinder.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I had great success with dating sites and felt that it was an awesome way to meet people and get out of the house. I met my wife on POF, and would have probably never had that opportunity otherwise.

That's the angle I'm looking at. "never had the opportunity otherwise". I've never had any luck on dating sites to be honest. All my relationships came from mutual friend. But I'm now older and I don't have any more single friends that just happen to have a female friend looking for a relationship like my previous relationships.

I'm not a big time online dater. But having myself out there you never know what you might find. I could even run into an old friend I know that is now single who I have not seen since high school. Then next thing you know we are going out. Or somebody who just moved to the area that is looking for friends and we hit it off well. I'm trying to look at it like that.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
I had real good luck with eharmony in the past. Lots of people who are more "relationship minded" rather than "hookup minded" although that is not to say you still can't hookup.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
When I typed "Dating sites" into the title only 1 came up and it was from 2010.
There are threads about online dating almost weekly. There are tons of threads.

Yes, the recipient needs to be a paid member to read messages. I didn't care for match at all. I've used PoF and OKC and went on dozens of dates when I was in the scene, but my best experiences were with OKC. I was able to weed people out very efficiently, and had very high matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships