Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,235,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you think it is a red flag then it is, personally I would think nothing of it but I don't give out my email or my cell number to anyone I have just met or been chatting online for a brief period of time with.

Thank you. I can understand that.

I love your quote: "I love caves, but I hate mushrooms" -- a quote that has me interpreting it on various levels - FUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,432,723 times
It does sound strange to me. I'm not sure why he'd make such a big deal about using an e-mail account. When I was using OKC and conversing I would either call or use e-mail after the first conversation or two. I also hate texting, as does my G/F thankfully. I use it as little as possible. If I were you, I wouldn't waste much more time thinking about this guy, not worth it.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM

11,368 posts, read 24,335,825 times
Oh well, he obviously doesn't want to get to know you better. That's enough.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:42 AM

663 posts, read 1,718,204 times
I've never encountered someone who wanted to continue chatting by email but I'd probably decline. I just prefer getting to know someone in person. If you're wanting to move to an incredibly wordy format like email, my assumption is that you're doing it to write a lot. Getting chatty to determine potential compatibility is one thing. Exchanging paragraphs of information via email is something else entirely. I like text specifically because of its brevity. I'd also be leery that the person who wants to communicate by email is glued to their computer. To me that's far worse than being glued to a smart phone.

But you do what you're comfortable with. There are people out there who would prefer to communicate by email. You'll find them if you keep looking. But be aware that they're a minority.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,035,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Is This A Red Flag? I think so.

I was doing the back and forth talking thing with a guy on OkCupid and after so many back & forths on there I told him he needs to send me an email if he wants to continue our talks. I got a smart @ss comment back from him that said, "Okie Dokie". I knew when I saw that that he was offended by my request to move our discussions to email and I knew he would not contact me again. He had already indicated that he would like to meet me sometime! But was unwilling to reveal his email address. I consider that a red flag. And so I say to myself, 'good riddance'. What do you all think?

WOOWEEE, Slow down the wagon, would you?
Moving from OkCupid to email JUST LIKE THAT? You kids be crazy!!

Seriously... why is this even a post? If you want to talk by email and he won't give you his email address, this is clearly a problem...

Old 11-12-2015, 11:50 AM

20,687 posts, read 19,819,260 times
What is wrong with "okie dokie"? Why does that sound offended? My bf texts me OKIE DOKIE all the time.

I never went from messaging on OLD to emailing. What's the point? Why don't you just give out your phone number.

He was probably tired of the back and forth and finally wanted to meet you.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:50 AM

769 posts, read 824,596 times
Back when I was doing the online dating thing, I had a specific email account for that, with no personally identifyable stuff in it...

Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 AM

20,687 posts, read 19,819,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If it's similar to how you phrased it in your OP, it was a little snippy.

I agree, you sounded hostile and snippy.

You must be new to OLD and I can tell you if you overanalyze every guy like you do this one, it will take you a long time to get a date.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,140,649 times
I don't blame the guy for acting as he did. I'd probably do the same. We're already basically e-mailing on the dating site. Then you want to move the discussion to e-mail? What for? It's annoying and pointless. The best way to get to know someone is through quick back and forth text messages and by calling one another. I'm not going to waste time communicating via e-mail after we've already started getting to know each other through the dating site.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:08 PM

102,062 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Even if he wants to protect his email address from getting flamed if one of the women he meets turns out to be unbalanced (it happens), all he'd have to do is set up an alternate email address. How hard is that? Oh well. I guess he wasn't all that interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships