Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post

Personally I tell every woman I've had a relationship with that I keep up with my health and apperance and I expect them to keep up too.
You can't "expect" things from people, and make demands about them keeping up their health and appearance. People either do or they don't. If they don't and you do, it may be a mismatched relationship that isn't going to go anywhere. If someone ever told me "I keep up my health and appearance and I expect you to also" I'd laugh at them and never see them again.

I DO WHAT I WANT!

Last edited by kimbo28; 11-13-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmike View Post
EDIT : [mod cut]

When I met my girlfriend I thought she was the prettiest girl I ever met. She's still cute but she's let herself go appearance wise. It started after she moved in with me, and I feel like she's become complacent. I want her get back to how she looked before, start wearing nice clothes like she used to, and generally make more of an effort. I still dress as sharply as I did when I met her, I work out, eat proper food, and take care of my appearance, and I see no reason why she can't look after herself. When we walk down the street together it's embarrassing. I used to feel like I was the lucky one, now we just look like such a mismatch, with me dressed nicely and looking good while she's waddling along next to me looking out of shape and it's depressing. I know she can do much better. I've tried to motivate her, offered to help her choose better food to eat, pick out clothes, whatever, but she's mostly very unresponsive. She's really letting herself go and I can't picture myself with her for much longer if she doesn't pull her socks up and make an effort, for me and for herself. The lack of self respect is as much of a turn off as anything else.

You sound like a child playing house, yet have no ideal what a true adult is! It's far from a wardrobe change! ...

Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 PM

818 posts, read 917,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
You can't "expect" things from people, and make demands about them keeping up their health and appearance. People either do or they don't. If they don't and you do, it may be a mismatched relationship that isn't going to go anywhere. If someone ever told me "I keep up my health and appearance and I expect you to also" I'd laugh at them and never see them again.

I DO WHAT I WANT!
I would politely like to disagree .... I can so " expect" something like this from someone in a relationship.
If they don't like it they can choose to move on. I expect a lot of things when I meet someone new.
I expect them to have a high level of self control, moral value, etc. but that's just me.

To each his own.....

Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,811 times
I've seen wives and husbands get lackadaisical about putting themselves together after they are comfortable. It all comes down to outlooks on each individual. I'd suggest finding a fashion she detests and going with it to make a point if you aren't comfortable just coming out and saying it. Cowboy boots and cutoff jean shorts over to her family's house should do the trick.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
Lord almighty. Not sure what you are blabbering about, but none of it makes any sense. Men aren't superficial for caring about physical looks - we are biologically predisposed to choose women for their looks, because this is the way men were designed by nature.

Marriage makes women fatter? bwahahaha. No, they make themselves fatter, by eating crap and not exercising. Marriage is just a concept, it has no will of its own, to victimize poor oppressed women. The curse, right. All I'm seeing is grasping at straws, and shifting blame on something else. My god, lets grow up, shall we?
Dating and marriage tend to encourage a gain, there is a study out there somewhere. Dates revolving around food, feeling content, all that stuff. But both genders not one, and it's like 10 lbs or something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2015, 04:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmike View Post
How can I encourage my gf to take better care of herself?
What for? End the relationship and go find someone else who meets your physical requirements.

[seems simple enough]

Old 11-14-2015, 06:04 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Trust me, it happens a lot. My ex gained 130lbs and went from 200-330lbs during our relationship. Huge issues and he didn't want to fix it. It ended up ruining our relationship

Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 PM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
why would you stay with her if your obviously not happy? you cant force someone to change....some people just get way to comfortable in relationships and let themselves go.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships