Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Yes. It would be crazy. But that doesn't stop a lot of people.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do middle-aged men (or close to middle-aged) get so lonely and delusional that they're willing to believe or even consider that a teenager might be interested in a relationship with them? It's kind of sad. But there's nothing wrong with the OP deciding to take an exotic vacation to Moscow for a few days.
Moscow would be a massive culture shock to most 'Muricans. It's a huge place almost as big as the New York metro area. Outside of the higher end hotels, English doesn't work very well. It's a different alphabet. Some signs will have Latin characters as well but most don't once you get outside the core of the city. I've been there a few times. I could handle the airport, getting an English-speaking taxi at the airport to the hotel, the hotel, and the metro by myself. Anything beyond that, I needed an English-speaking Russian with me. I can't imagine flying in and trying to find some 19-year-old in an outer part of the city.

If you want sad, Google "hikikomori". There are now about a million shut-in men in Japan. The average age is about 30 and they still live with their parents and rarely leave the apartment.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
However the Hikikomori are strong recluses that willingly choose isolation. This fellow is actively seeking companionship.

But yes... Hikikomori and whatever mental illnesses that drive a person to be a recluse is a sad existence that really is a cry for help.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
I would ask her if she wanted to meet up. No surprise visits as she might be out of town for that particular week you decide to visit. I really don't think you're going to lose a kidney! You can always decide whether she's genuine & whether a relationship is worth pursuing once you've met. Asking her beforehand might also enable her to express her viewpoint about the whole thing. Maybe she just wants friendship.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I'm about to give up on American women. So superficial. I had an amazing relationship with a lady from the Ukraine a while back. Sooo much more interesting than what we have to offer here in the states.

I should have married her.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Lionel View Post
I think she's legit, and in theory I can see myself wanting to be with her. But then there's the other thing which is the big age gap. I'm 38, and she's 19. I know that's a lot. 19 years is a big age gap. But when I think about it, what does that really mean?
Man, it could be exciting to meet a hot 19-year-old Russian girl.

Maybe she is looking for a real daddy figure to be with her. I would find out.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'm about to give up on American women. So superficial. I had an amazing relationship with a lady from the Ukraine a while back. Sooo much more interesting than what we have to offer here in the states.

I should have married her.
Right back atcha, dude.

I began "dating" again last year. American men are...different. Superficial? Heck, yeah, and that's just for starters. But I'll leave it at that. I've started to seriously think that if I want to eventually find someone special to enjoy life with, I'm going to have to begin looking outside of the US. I'm completely serious.

It's amusing that American men seem to think they're these invaluable prizes coveted by women around the world.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76
Yes. It would be crazy. But that doesn't stop a lot of people.
I dunno... Why would it be crazy??

If it meant alot to him and he thought something good MIGHT come from it.... Why not??

Old 11-15-2015, 02:52 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Moscow would be a massive culture shock to most 'Muricans. It's a huge place almost as big as the New York metro area. Outside of the higher end hotels, English doesn't work very well. It's a different alphabet. Some signs will have Latin characters as well but most don't once you get outside the core of the city. I've been there a few times. I could handle the airport, getting an English-speaking taxi at the airport to the hotel, the hotel, and the metro by myself. Anything beyond that, I needed an English-speaking Russian with me. I can't imagine flying in and trying to find some 19-year-old in an outer part of the city.

If you want sad, Google "hikikomori". There are now about a million shut-in men in Japan. The average age is about 30 and they still live with their parents and rarely leave the apartment.
OP is Brit. True, he'd have difficulty finding her, unless she came to his hotel, or hotel staff (or she) told him which metro train to take and where to get off, or he took a cab (could be very expensive, if she lives in a far-flung part of the city; traffic is a nightmare).

He could always sign up for some tours, to pass the time.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:55 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
I would ask her if she wanted to meet up. No surprise visits as she might be out of town for that particular week you decide to visit. I really don't think you're going to lose a kidney! You can always decide whether she's genuine & whether a relationship is worth pursuing once you've met. Asking her beforehand might also enable her to express her viewpoint about the whole thing. Maybe she just wants friendship.
She wouldn't be out of town if she's in university, and he goes during the academic year, avoiding holiday breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships