Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times

Advertisements

Some people just have really awful ways of expressing themselves and find it hard not to belittle others. I just conclude that this is a reflection on who they are and shrug it off. A genuinely happy person has no need to belittle others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:50 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So treating someone like shyt and being an azzhat is acceptable behavior because after all it's just an internet forum.

Some strange logic there....

No doubt.....

What is it with the people here who I thought were sane saying some of the rudest crap lately???? LOL... confused...
I don't take offense to much, and can certainly dish out my share of snark. I know I can be salty, and I've been accused of being condescending and "mean" many times over the years (though it has more to do with my diction than anything else). However, what I do do, and have always done, is address and/or challenge the position, idea, worldview, or behavior being argued or put forth in a discussion or debate. Resorting to ad hominems and relying on assumptions, generalizations and unchecked cognitive biases, is absolutely deserving of critical examination and criticism. But when it comes to personal issues and not ideas, beliefs, and worldviews (the "my way is the right way" thinking), but matters that strangers are not privy to, that's going too far.

And total at "it's "just the internet." No, these are people, and taking it too far by being as*hattery, is not cool. Pretty much all of my friends, apart from former school peers, are people I met online, either through chat rooms, forums, FB groups, etc. Some of the kindest, coolest, most compassionate, and fun individuals. Some, many, I've been friends with for 8-12 years. They've been "with" me through a lot of life events, and I them, so it isn't "just the internet" for everyone.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:50 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Bravo, OP!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Eh, I don't think I'm that tough on people on this forum. I usually bash myself into the ground more than random posters.

I CAN be pretty harsh. I've done it in real life and I'm not afraid to be an ass when I really need to be. But, those times are few and far between.
I'm pretty much the same way: if I'm going to call someone out on their bull**** it's going to be someone I'm decently acquainted with, who knows it's coming from a good place.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Well I'd like to thank you for your responses but just to clarify I'm not just talking about people being rude on the internet in general but I'm specifically talking about people who are rude and disrespectful to someone just because someone isn't their type. And this behavior definitely goes on offline just like online.

For example, men that talk **** about overweight women all of the time. I've seen it out there in the streets and I'm pretty sure many of you have too.

And of course you have some dudes who talk trash about older women and single mothers.

I mean what's is with all the hostility? It makes them look childish and self-absorbed. If your not interested in someone then walk away. No need to tear down people you're not into anyway.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

I mean what's is with all the hostility? It makes them look childish and self-absorbed. If your not interested in someone then walk away. No need to tear down people you're not into anyway.
It is part of human nature, and it's not going to change.

People really need to learn not to take what random people say, whether online or in RL, seriously. You cannot change what other people will do, but you can, most certainly, change your reaction to it.

That someone says that they don't like "X sorts of people"? What's so important about that person or their views that anyone would give it a second thought?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well I'd like to thank you for your responses but just to clarify I'm not just talking about people being rude on the internet in general but I'm specifically talking about people who are rude and disrespectful to someone just because someone isn't their type. And this behavior definitely goes on offline just like online.

For example, men that talk **** about overweight women all of the time. I've seen it out there in the streets and I'm pretty sure many of you have too.

And of course you have some dudes who talk trash about older women and single mothers.

In the interest of fairness, There are plenty of women who are rude too, I noticed your list was a little light on the female side....

Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
In the interest of fairness, There are plenty of women who are rude too, I noticed your list was a little light on the female side....
That's exactly what I was thinking

Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
True, true. I was thinking about that myself. I have known some women who have disrespected men who don't present themselves in a fashion style that they want both here and in real life.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm nicer in person than I am here. Not because I am behind a computer screen, I just like brevity... so my stuff is short and sweet.
I am nicer in person than I come across on here because the internet cannot adequately convey body language and non-verbal cues. The written word only expresses part of the full story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships