Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 50s, still in great shape, no wrinkles due to my genes, financially secure, and very active. I am newly single and have tried most of the dating sites out there. I was married for 15 years so my perception of dating was stuck in the time period when I was dating 15 years ago. I am shocked at how much different dating is now. I had no problem 15 years ago finding men around my age who wanted to go out with me. Now the only guys my age who contact me are in their 60s or 70s or are in their 50s and are looking for a sugar momma. Financially secure, fit active men who haven't let the ravages of time destroy their body aren't interested in me. They want younger women. It's absolutely crazy.

I tried e-harmony to find someone but only had one guy contact me. He was 15 years older than me. I contacted several men on e-harmony but I didnt get a response back or a canned response of I'm not interested or im looking for something else.

I had a little more success on match.com and pof.com. Most of the men my age responded back to me and as I got to know them better, they were looking for sex or financial security. The men who were looking for a just dating and were financially secure looked 10 years older than they were and didn't take care of themselves. So a man who is fit and financially secure who are aroundy age which is what I want don't want anything to do with me.

I have realized that I sm out of luck due to my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM

579 posts, read 432,697 times
There's some similar discussion in the "Do many older women consider men irrelevant" thread (retirement). It's a mystery why men suddenly think that they are going to be appealing to women so much younger than them.

I'm a little younger than you, and I've noticed the same age issue. And then there are all those people (both sexes, but more men than women) who are designated 'strictly non-monogamous', which was less of an obvious/popular thing before OLD.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
That's not how dating has changed. That's how the presence of OLD has changed that sector of dating. Meeting people in real life is completely different, and more like you remembered. Try it.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:29 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
To the OP - if you're looking for a serious LTR, yes, that may be an issue. However, if you're looking for a FWB relationship/FB/one-nighter, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:29 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I don't think you are out of luck, just that there are not of people out there who meet your requirements.

It will take some time. Although it seems like shopping on Amazon, it's not.

When I was dating in my early 40s while a lot of men contacted me, only a very small percentage I would consider dating. I didn't need 20 of them, I needed one.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2015, 01:30 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
No, keep trying.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't think your age disqualifies you from finding someone. A friend of mine is 49 and a widow, and she seems to do fine. I do think you're fishing in a much smaller pond than you were before. Older men may have been burned by divorce or seen their friends go through them, or they've gotten to the point that they are content being bachelors and aren't looking for anything serious. There seem to be a lot of men who would be fine with exclusive companionship, because they don't really enjoy dating and the effort of frequently meeting new people. Are you hoping to get married again or just find someone who wants to be exclusive with you? We have several people on this board who are roughly your age and in long-term committed relationships, but not married.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:31 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
To the OP - if you're looking for a serious LTR, yes, that may be an issue. However, if you're looking for a FWB relationship/FB/one-nighter, I don't think you'll have a problem.
This is a very good point. Some people you just go out and have fun with. I mean be honest and up front, but everything doesn't have to result in something serious.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhaze15 View Post
I'm in my 50s, still in great shape, no wrinkles due to my genes, financially secure, and very active. I am newly single and have tried most of the dating sites out there. I was married for 15 years so my perception of dating was stuck in the time period when I was dating 15 years ago. I am shocked at how much different dating is now. I had no problem 15 years ago finding men around my age who wanted to go out with me. Now the only guys my age who contact me are in their 60s or 70s or are in their 50s and are looking for a sugar momma. Financially secure, fit active men who haven't let the ravages of time destroy their body aren't interested in me. They want younger women. It's absolutely crazy.

I tried e-harmony to find someone but only had one guy contact me. He was 15 years older than me. I contacted several men on e-harmony but I didnt get a response back or a canned response of I'm not interested or im looking for something else.

I had a little more success on match.com and pof.com. Most of the men my age responded back to me and as I got to know them better, they were looking for sex or financial security. The men who were looking for a just dating and were financially secure looked 10 years older than they were and didn't take care of themselves. So a man who is fit and financially secure who are aroundy age which is what I want don't want anything to do with me.

I have realized that I sm out of luck due to my age.
If you search the forum you'll uncover 836,500 other posts discussing the intricacies of online dating.

1.) Location is a major factor. What may be a difficult "dating age" in one region could be a great age to date in another.

2.) You should be using OLD in addition to meeting people in real life, not in place of. If dating and meeting someone new is important to you, get involved in activities where you will make new friends and acquaintances.

3.) Like Mikala said, OLD takes time. Hang in there. Don't expect to find the love of your life right away. Instead, just go in with no expectations and try to have fun.

4.)I'm not 100 percent convinced this isn't a sock puppet trying to bait people into disparaging older women, but I hope it isn't. Dating is a challenge at any age, really.

5.) If my Golden Girls marathons have taught me anything, dating will improve in a couple of years. Hell, Sophia got laid on the regular and she was in her 80s!

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
The kind of guy you are looking for is not on OLD sites. He is out living life. You will only meet him by going out and doing a bunch of stuff yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships