Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who did good with her academics (graduated with two majors from Princeton University) and now has a high end job in a big company. The topic of relationships came up and she told me how all men she dated were so “intimidated” by her success and she went on and on about how she studied in such a great university and how great she is doing with her job blah blah blah. I understood that men were not necessarily “intimidated” as many women loosely throw out there but I can imagine these guys were just annoyed. My wife also studied two majors and is successful at what she does but she didn’t bragged or tried to look all tough. Nothing wrong with women being confident about what they do and being proud about their achievements but bragging about it doesn’t necessarily equal confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I have a friend who did good with her academics (graduated with two majors from Princeton University) and now has a high end job in a big company. The topic of relationships came up and she told me how all men she dated were so “intimidated” by her success and she went on and on about how she studied in such a great university and how great she is doing with her job blah blah blah. I understood that men were not necessarily “intimidated” as many women loosely throw out there but I can imagine these guys were just annoyed. My wife also studied two majors and is successful at what she does but she didn’t bragged or tried to look all tough. Nothing wrong with women being confident about what they do and being proud about their achievements but bragging about it doesn’t necessarily equal confidence.
I don't like it when men behave that way, either.

Comes back to the question of whether we are talking basic confidence or puffed up arrogance, narcissism, or egotism.

Nobody likes a jerk. Don't be a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Started to return to this, then shook my head.

I find confidence in women as attractive as I find creativity, compassion, gentility, firmness, strength, wit, intestinal fortitude, a desire to adapt to and overcome adversity, an active sexual nature, a sly yet open smile, loyalty -- pretty much any desirable qualities denoting a great partner in life, come what may.

I think "excessive confidence" at least vaguely spells out the parameters of the question/discussion.

In the great p!$$!n@ contest of whether men or women are better, I wish we could all get along but we can't, so I don't care about the majority, just the ones who play well with others and have something to bring to the table. It's a lesson about Humanity I wish I'd wrapped my head around at a much younger age. Life would have gone quite differently.
Right on. Hey, lots of folks in these conversations wind up mentioning "the norm"...I don't know who this Norm guy is but he sounds boring as heck.

I often wonder just how much of a thing normalcy even is anymore, you know? Here we are, just all getting by, trying to figure it out, near as I can tell. You know what I like to bring to the table? An enormous collection of Cards Against Humanity and really fancy cheese and crackers.

I have a lot of confidence in my excellent taste in snacks. It has yet to fail me.

"I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together."
-Red Green

Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I enjoy intelligent people, but not those that must boast them self , I'm simply not impressed with "titles" for which many work , but rely on it too much alone for approval, rather than demonstrating what they know.
Intelligent women or men are interesting to exchange knowledge with , there is substance there.
The wider the range of intelligence and experience the better.
Those that have only one story to tell, no matter how detailed, get really boring .
I listen to those with problems all the time, and we are friends, but I am just their sounding board, not much more.
Show me a person with a broad range of interests ,and interested in learning and sharing and comparing notes , and I"m happy.
Not looking for a "yes" person.
Looking for an honest person, that knows them self.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM

12 posts, read 10,278 times
I don't find confidence in women particularly attractive. I like them shy, demure, coy, and I find insecurity very endearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships