Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM

311 posts, read 292,744 times

Advertisements

When I tell a woman "let's hang out", it's my way of asking her on a casual date.
Ya know, a non-pressure setting to get to know each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

But I would ask what the plan was or make a plan, because I'm way too old and busy for hanging out. Guy my age who can't think of anything to do other than hang out? Idiot.
Exactly.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
If a woman is looking for a relationship and a guy asks her to hang out, would she really say "I don't hang out." ??

If woman is looking for a solid deep committed relationship she shouldn't "hang out" with a guy, hang out is code speak for let me **** you and use your body but give me the freedom to dump your ass when something better comes along speak that guys won't really admit to, but really, it is if you break it down.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I don't know what "hanging out is."

We can meet at <location> on <date> at <time>. Yes or no?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My first thought would be that it's a shy way of asking her out.
I hate "hanging out" because I get confused. That is exactly my problem right now. I "hung out" with someone which means you are never sure if it is a date or not!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If woman is looking for a solid deep committed relationship she shouldn't "hang out" with a guy, hang out is code speak for let me **** you and use your body but give me the freedom to dump your ass when something better comes along speak that guys won't really admit to, but really, it is if you break it down.
^^^^ Exactly.

I've never paid any attention to guys who've approached me that way.

I've never been the type to just "hang out" with a guy without a specific purpose. It's either we're dating or we're not. I've always dated with the goal that things would develop into a serious relationship, and I've always expected the same from whoever I was dating. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Okay... how do you tell them that you want more than "hanging out"? If you say "I don't hang out", will they get that you want something more serious? Or will that just make them think you don't like them?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Hanging out is what teenagers or college students do. Basically you just spend time together with no particular plan.

If someone said that to me, I would probably not take it literally. But I would ask what the plan was or make a plan, because I'm way too old and busy for hanging out. Guy my age who can't think of anything to do other than hang out? Idiot.

This. ^^^ So much this.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I hate "hanging out" because I get confused. That is exactly my problem right now. I "hung out" with someone which means you are never sure if it is a date or not!
IDK, I've never had that happen, where a man wanted to "hang out" like he does with his buddies. Especially since it typically involved date-like behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Okay... how do you tell them that you want more than "hanging out"? If you say "I don't hang out", will they get that you want something more serious? Or will that just make them think you don't like them?
You flat-out ask for clarification: "Do you mean 'hang out' as in a date?"

Old 11-22-2015, 11:19 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I dont blame her for saying she doesn't hang out. Grown adults should not ask others to hang out if they intend it to be a date.

IMO, hanging out is something that teenagers do, occupy space together. My friend's daughter started college this year and was excited when she was asked on an actual date, instead of just to hang out with the guy, and told us she felt more grown up now. It was cute!

Hang out is too ambiguous and anyone who wants to date is best to avoid the phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships