Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM

74 posts, read 618,744 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting and insightful statistic.

Washington DC has the lowest divorce rate in the nation while Nevada has the highest.

Reasons Why:
DC may have the lowest rate because:
--- it is a relatively small district
--- cushy governemnt jobs with 40 HOUR work weeks means more family time and less stress
--- people tend to marry at a later age in dc (statistically more educated people get married later in life and DC has high population of educated people
--- just a lot more single people in DC

Nevada has the highest divorce rate:
--- Prostitution is legal in certain parts
--- Home of "sin city"
--- No real stable and diverse economy
--- doesn't have a significant number of colleges thus a lower percentage of college educated residents.

CONCLUSIONS:
Educated couples that don't work long hours and engage in "sinful" activites are more likely not to divorce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,778,979 times
It could also mean that fewer couples in D.C. are legally married thus failed relationships would not require a divorce, or that couples just split and don't even bother getting a divorce.

Since marriage and divorce are major industries in Nevada, one would expect the rates of both to be among the highest in the nation.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,671,579 times
Few couples in DC ever bother to get married so they do not need to get divorced. It has one of the highest birthrates to single mothers in the country. More people get divorced in Nevada because it is easy even for non residents to do it there.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,421,463 times
KevK is correct, your assumptions are flawed. I believe DC is the murder capitol of the world, with the largest poor minority population per capita. I suspect most the educated folks commute and live outside the District.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,671,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
KevK is correct, your assumptions are flawed. I believe DC is the murder capitol of the world, with the largest poor minority population per capita. I suspect most the educated folks commute and live outside the District.
They do. They live in Maryland and Virginia.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,235,836 times
Have you ever been to DC? Have you ever been to SouthEast?

Nuff said.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,714,903 times
And just WHY are you comparing a district of about ...oh I dunno...50 square miles at most, to a whole friggin state? Is this a troll? A joke? Can I punch you?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,117,353 times
re divorce -- maybe?
anyway i just finished reading, "how to devour your mate for fun and profit" by
judy j. tarantula,
i am not sure gambling and prostitution works in the cause & affect.
but hey what do i know, just an ol survivor typin on CD.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM

672 posts, read 2,121,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
And just WHY are you comparing a district of about ...oh I dunno...50 square miles at most, to a whole friggin state? Is this a troll? A joke? Can I punch you?

It does seem quite silly to compare a federal city to an entire state. But, the biggest question I have, is, does ANYBODY out there really care anyway?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,235,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
It does seem quite silly to compare a federal city to an entire state. But, the biggest question I have, is, does ANYBODY out there really care anyway?
Geez Dennis! You know that cinderobyn cares about everyone and everything.

To me, DC is made up of a lot of different types of people, most who seem not to be of the married type.

I lived outside of DC for my first 15 years, and my uncles live in DC.

many people commute there from Maryland and Virginia, and there are many who just... well, I will say, don't work. Dont marry, dont anything.

Then there are those who are the professionals, that never marry.

Of course, as I have to always state, this is my opinion, this is not to say that I am against DC, this is not to say this is fact, only my opinion.

Now, there are some areas in DC that I love to go to. Some that I am afraid to get near, and have been lost in. But this is the case for any place.

What was this thread about? Divorce.

Divorce is everywhere. If I ever remarry, I want it to be for the long haul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships