Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 PM

780 posts, read 678,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf1 View Post
If we leave, i wouldn't just sacrifice a couple of years, I would sacrifice my whole career in the company.
If your happiness and pride of career is more important than your wife's happiness and safety, then stay.

One day, your wife will not make it home to you over what, your fabulous career and amazing team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Are there safer areas within the same country?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf1 View Post
I'm a conmercial airline pilot. To get a job in Europe I'd have to complete some exams which takes time and costs money. And even then it could still be quite difficult. There is the opportunity to work on a 4weeks on/4 weeks off basis, which means I could live in Europe six months and the other six months I'd have to work in Asia. My wife said she'd come with me those six months a year (she has her own business), but I still dunno. Giving up my job here would mea I could 't just come back to it any time I want. IF I decided to come back, they might give me a job again, but I'd basically start from zero with a lower salary. My wife makes good money so money isn't the problem, but I'm worried about my career,and I love my team here.
What if you moved to Europe, loved it & decided you didn't want to return home? If she makes good money, could you save up & take the exams Or could you retrain in something else? She appears to be making all the sacrifices in this relationship & she gets to be robbed for that privilege. Sometimes money isn't everything!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
You're a commercial airline pilot? I know several people who are pilots for the airlines, they dont even live in the same state they fly out of. They live where ever they want to live, and fly to work. Why can't you do that?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 6,601 times
That sounds easier than it is. I'm flying an A320, which means I usually work 4 days nf then I have two days off etc. I cannot just live in another country because I have to work most of the time.If I move to another country, I cannot keep my job.

You guys have made good points, I feel a bit guilty of not instantly wanting to move because my wife does. I don't know, other women live in our country too and they're fine because they just know the risk of life here and choose to br careful (take a can or a car etc). I know that sounds terribe. I cannot even imagine though that something could happen to my wife, I cannot imagine life without her. I'm just also worried because of this scenario: I decide to wuit my job, we move to Europe and I get a job that I don't like as much. What if we break up (not saying we will, of course I wanna be with her forever)? I will be in Europe, far away from my family and probably regret that I left my job.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:59 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Stop worrying what might happen. It might NOT happen. Do what you have control over. Stop with the what if...what if...what if.

So since you are a commercial pilot, theres no jobs any where in the world for you except where you are right now? Sounds like an excuse to me. Last I looked, commercial pilots fly all over the world.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 6,601 times
There ARR jobs, but most of them are in Asia or Arab countries. Europe is more difficult, and as I said, you cannot just apply and that's it, you need to get your license approved for Europe, for that you have to take exams and spend money and even then it's still hard to get a job there.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
So you anticipate doing the same exact job forever, never improving your skill set or adjusting to inevitable changes in the industry?

You seem very short-sighted, despite your protestations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships