Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,706 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My four year relationship (engaged for a few months) ended last month and ever since I've been feeling a bit down. I start wondering if I ever meet someone amazing again, or if I'll just have to stay alone or make compromises. I'm turning 28 in a few weeks and I feel incredibly old to be single again, may sound stupid but well. I'm not desperate for a relationship, right now I do not want to date anyone, but I guess if I don't want to be alone forever I should start trying in a few months or so.By the way, I'm female, fit and attractive, I'd say.
I'd like to hear two things from you guys:

1) Any of you have found the love of their life with 28 or older? I know there are people who did, but I would just like to hear some stories, maybe it makes me feel a bit more positive.

2) Men, how old are you and what age group are you dating? I'd prefer to find a guy 30-35, just because I think that group is more likely to want to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 07:19 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28singleagain View Post
1) Any of you have found the love of their life with 28 or older? I know there are people who did, but I would just like to hear some stories, maybe it makes me feel a bit more positive.
On December 3, 2013, my partner of 8 years passed away unexpectedly. On September 20, 2014, at the ancient age of 41, I had my first date with the man that I am currently living with and plan to spend the rest of my life with.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,706 times
So sorry about your loss, but how great that you have fallen in love again. I guess I'm just worrying a lot because right now, I cannot even imagine to ever love anyone else. Plus I want kids, and I know my biological clock will start ticking soon.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:34 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
So sorry about your loss, but how great that you have fallen in love again. I guess I'm just worrying a lot because right now, I cannot even imagine to ever love anyone else. Plus I want kids, and I know my biological clock will start ticking soon.
There's no time frame for getting over these things. It's only been a month- give yourself a break.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:52 AM

121 posts, read 102,197 times
Probably doesn't help you but I'm a 31F I was in a LTR at 29 bit that ended. Late 20's is a great dating age IMO. I'm not going to lie, once I hit 29 the biological clock did start ticking for me. I know you aren't supposed to plan things but to me things like marriage and starting family should be transitional (it's just smarter to me). I feel like say I don't meet the "one" until I'm 32. Then we get married at 34. I would like 2 years to get used to marriage, then by the time I'm 36 have kids but then you already are having a "high risk" pregnancy. It does get depressing as you get older. Not so much with finding a partner, but the child bearing thing.

In any case, I think 30-40 is a great age range if you are trying to find someone serious. I actually prefer 35-45 because those men who want kids anyway, may already be ready to have a family.

In my area, men in their early 30's generally still aren't ready for that.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
28 is a spring chicken. My Mom got Married at 32 had four kids, my grandma got married at 33 and had five kids. The brain does not really fully develop to when you are over 30 so twenty something marriages often dont last anyhow. Enjoy being single.

BTW good man often dont even look for a wife till they are in their 30s. The want to finish college, finish graduate school, get a few promotions, pay off student loans maybe buy a place and get settled in career and then around 32 start looking for a wife.

Why take on a project. You are perfect age to date around and get a ready made MAN to marry not a boy

Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFlowersX View Post
Probably doesn't help you but I'm a 31F I was in a LTR at 29 bit that ended. Late 20's is a great dating age IMO. I'm not going to lie, once I hit 29 the biological clock did start ticking for me. I know you aren't supposed to plan things but to me things like marriage and starting family should be transitional (it's just smarter to me). I feel like say I don't meet the "one" until I'm 32. Then we get married at 34. I would like 2 years to get used to marriage, then by the time I'm 36 have kids but then you already are having a "high risk" pregnancy. It does get depressing as you get older. Not so much with finding a partner, but the child bearing thing.

In any case, I think 30-40 is a great age range if you are trying to find someone serious. I actually prefer 35-45 because those men who want kids anyway, may already be ready to have a family.

In my area, men in their early 30's generally still aren't ready for that.

BTW I got married a few days shy of my 35 birthday to a girl who just turned 33.

I have three kids, no fertility pills etc. The last kid we had I was about to turn 44 and my wife was 42, doctor said if we want my wife is good for 2-3 more if she wants. She is 50 and still fertile, has her period and could still get pregant.

It is a big fat myth about women and age for the most part. Look, I looked at my family tree. The folks in the 1800's were popping out 10-12 kids. No birth control and you had kids till you could no longer could have kids. My wife, my Mom, my Grandma and my GreatGrandma all had kids in their 40s. Heck the grandma and GreatGrandma did it in a hosue with no heat, running water or electric with no doctor present.

Dont worry.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 AM

121 posts, read 102,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
BTW I got married a few days shy of my 35 birthday to a girl who just turned 33.

I have three kids, no fertility pills etc. The last kid we had I was about to turn 44 and my wife was 42, doctor said if we want my wife is good for 2-3 more if she wants. She is 50 and still fertile, has her period and could still get pregant.

It is a big fat myth about women and age for the most part. Look, I looked at my family tree. The folks in the 1800's were popping out 10-12 kids. No birth control and you had kids till you could no longer could have kids. My wife, my Mom, my Grandma and my GreatGrandma all had kids in their 40s. Heck the grandma and GreatGrandma did it in a hosue with no heat, running water or electric with no doctor present.

Dont worry.
While that may be, still considered high risk pregnancy.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:17 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Things can change in an instant, trust me. You'll think you can never date again, and then bam!, you'll meet someone new. Even a month ago, I thought Id never date again. Now I know I will.

I'm also 42 and have no interest in kids, so that gives me a lot of freedom. I don't have to settle for someone just because I want a family.

Still, there's no rush for you. I think late 20s are hard. I know they were for me. I didn't even get out of bed on my 25th birthday. Once you hit 30, though, you look around and think "what was I so afraid of??"

The best advice I can give you is to stay open to possibilities. Work every day on being the best you that you can be. I know that sounds like Oprah BS, but it's the truth. Men--at least the right ones--are attracted to positive, strong women who have a lot going for them.

You'll be fine. Trust me

Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
You are still so young, give yourself a break and time to get over this. I know many people who ended up single in their 40's and 50's, and they did just fine.You don't want to appear desperate when looking for a relationship. I have a friend like that and it's such a turn off. She is absolutely gorgeous, and has a great job makes good money, but she doesn't have her own life when she has a guy, and it turns them off. So just work on yourself, see your friends, get some hobbies, even though you don't believe it now, you will meet someone else eventually. I know lots of people who didn't get married until their 30's, so don't worry about it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships