Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I could've swore hearing that addicts aren't supposed to enter into new romantic relationship (or rekindle old ones) when they're going through the program. As it is, they're not emotionally ready to take on the task.

OP, your friend is more likely to get burned. So stop "hoping" for your friend and get real. Such a FusterCluck. Are you even close to this friend where you can express concerns?
I'm not even going there. They're grown adults. It's best to let them to deal with it themselves. Like the old adage goes "Love is Blind."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Ginger and Lester, eh?

LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 12:08 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
This doesn't sound all that healthy from an outside point of view, first off, if you divorce, you need time to get your brain rebooted time to heal a bit and not jump into a relationship right away, second, the guy needs to demonstrate a year or two of sobriety and responsible behavior, I'm not a 12 stepper myself, but this is what I hear from them.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:44 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I could've swore hearing that addicts aren't supposed to enter into new romantic relationship (or rekindle old ones) when they're going through the program. As it is, they're not emotionally ready to take on the task.

OP, your friend is more likely to get burned. So stop "hoping" for your friend and get real. Such a FusterCluck. Are you even close to this friend where you can express concerns?
That's correct. I briefly dated a guy in recovery, and he told me for the first 12 months it was recommended he not get romantically involved with anyone. (We dated when he had been in recovery for about 3 years I think?)

Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
My feeling is that even if addiction issues weren't there, this could be problematic.

Generally, if people have broken up, it was for a reason or reasons. Despite rose-colored glasses about the past, those issues will generally still be there (or will resurface).

Also, how can one trust a person who left a committed relationship (marriage) for a grass-is-greener situation? I always feel that's the biggest issue with cheating and leaving. The person you "won" is a cheater. Why couldn't s/he cheat on you next?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:07 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
We use to have a word for chicks like her in collage who would bounce back and forth after professing her love for every new man she allowed to get to know her

"Loopy _ itch"

Old 11-29-2015, 02:09 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
We use to have a word for chicks like her in collage who would bounce back and forth after professing her love for every new man she allowed to get to know her

"Loopy _ itch"
Agreed, my first post was a bit nicer, but yeah, I agree here....

Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,251 times
Lol you and your friend are F'd up....both of you need to start fresh and hit up the local NA meeting for fresh meat. It's not a good idea to ever sample a friend's ex, especially one that used and stole thousands from them. How desperate for human touch can people be?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My feeling is that even if addiction issues weren't there, this could be problematic.

Generally, if people have broken up, it was for a reason or reasons. Despite rose-colored glasses about the past, those issues will generally still be there (or will resurface).

Also, how can one trust a person who left a committed relationship (marriage) for a grass-is-greener situation? I always feel that's the biggest issue with cheating and leaving. The person you "won" is a cheater. Why couldn't s/he cheat on you next?
Great post JerZ. Right, he seemed happy about getting back together with her and making things right. I'd just hate to see the progress he made so far go up in flames then he starts using again because things didn't work out. Or when times gets tough, she ends up leaving him for another man.

I do think one reason he wants to get back together with her so he can have a place to live. Currently, he lives with his mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

"Loopy _ itch"
Bwhahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Lol you and your friend are F'd up....both of you need to start fresh and hit up the local NA meeting for fresh meat. It's not a good idea to ever sample a friend's ex, especially one that used and stole thousands from them. How desperate for human touch can people be?
LoL. I have no desire ever getting sexually involved with him ever again. And I don't think it would be a good idea for his recovery in making a good life for himself.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
^ This. Honestly I found the thread title misleading. What a twisted tale... Sounds like the OP's just tryin to throw shade @ these two - for whatever reason.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^ This. Honestly I found the thread title misleading. What a twisted tale... Sounds like the OP's just tryin to throw shade @ these two - for whatever reason.
What is that supposed to mean? If they want to be together, then more power to them. I'll be their friend from a distance with no judgement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships