Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 AM

613 posts, read 360,813 times

Advertisements

I found out a great indicator of a girl's ability to think deeper about life and have her life in command. Number of selfies she takes and posts on social media. I did a little study across female friends and even ex'es. And it's so linear. I mean I am not discovering America here but the more selfies a girl takes the less she is into reading and more into real housewives of wherever the f***. Has anybody found an exception to that? Do you mind your GF being like that all? Question for guys mostly I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 10:12 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Define a lot of selfies.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Define a lot of selfies.
He said it's linear, so there is no definition needed. Not saying that to agree or disagree, but to clarify what he's saying more summarily:

"The more active she is on social media, the less active she is (in more "intellectual" pursuits)"

Regarding my thoughts on the matter:

I'd say there's correlation, but I wouldn't call it linear. Remember, your female friends and ex's are a VERY small sample size.

People will pursue what gives them the most personal satisfaction, however it's derived. If someone is attractive, they will often receive a lot of positive feedback about their looks and derive satisfaction from that. If someone is intelligent, they may have a better career, earn more money, or undertake intellectual pursuits and derive satisfaction from that.

Pursuing both is, quite frankly, a lot of work, so you'll find that people may "lean" one way or another.

To speculate, if someone is attractive and derives their satisfaction (and in many cases, a living) from being so, they may not feel as motivated to take on intellectual pursuits.

It's been my experience that, if someone is intelligent and UNattractive (let's say face, rather than body), they may judge those mentioned in the former paragraph because the choice to pursue that option isn't available to them (outside of extremes like surgery or something).

Or, put more succinctly: Hot, stupid people don't have much motivation to become smart. Smart, ugly people are judgmental of hot, stupid people. And those that are both smart AND hot (or ugly AND stupid) don't fall in line with OP's theory.

Edit: None of the above is restricted to women. It would apply to both genders. But if we assume that attractiveness is valued in women more than in men, then you'll find more women at the extreme end of the activity scale when it comes to social pursuits.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
I don't take or post selfies. Can't wait for my Nobel Prize.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:39 AM

260 posts, read 239,629 times
I find that it is true. It's almost like they want to be part of a reality show really really bad. It's not like she wan't smart but she was so focused on her selfie game that she lacked the critical thinking skills to see that it was putting unnecessary strain on us.

I dated a woman who was like that while I was in college. We were very attracted to each other, she was funny and she was absolutely stunning. But growing up, she went to a private school and her dad kept her on a tight leash. Before college, she wasn't even the type to wear makeup. Once she got to college, she started using high-end makeup like MAC and Sephora stuff and she got an instagram, I'm not going to say the name of it but the name was an allusion to her big butt. And she exudes sexuality but I can say from being in a relationship with her, that her sex drive was very low. She just liked the attention. And wherever we went or we were about to go on a date, she had to take a selfie with me, post it to instagram, and caption it letting everyone know what we were doing.

After a while I felt like the relationship was a showpiece. Some guys at the school would recognize her from instagram, and yell out/chant her instagram name at her, which got me on the defensive (what boyfriend wouldn't be?). One time I stared daggers at a guy who did it and yelled at another one and she got upset and claimed that I was embarrassing her and disrespecting her. It eventually undid us. Looking back, I almost feel bad for her. She just wanted to be popular, but it became more important than the relationship.

Like the Lil Wayne song says, these Instagram models are nothing but trouble. I would steer clear.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
He said it's linear, so there is no definition needed. Not saying that to agree or disagree, but to clarify what he's saying more summarily:

"The more active she is on social media, the less active she is (in more "intellectual" pursuits)"

Regarding my thoughts on the matter:

I'd say there's correlation, but I wouldn't call it linear. Remember, your female friends and ex's are a VERY small sample size.

People will pursue what gives them the most personal satisfaction, however it's derived. If someone is attractive, they will often receive a lot of positive feedback about their looks and derive satisfaction from that. If someone is intelligent, they may have a better career, earn more money, or undertake intellectual pursuits and derive satisfaction from that.

Pursuing both is, quite frankly, a lot of work, so you'll find that people may "lean" one way or another.

To speculate, if someone is attractive and derives their satisfaction (and in many cases, a living) from being so, they may not feel as motivated to take on intellectual pursuits.

It's been my experience that, if someone is intelligent and UNattractive (let's say face, rather than body), they may judge those mentioned in the former paragraph because the choice to pursue that option isn't available to them (outside of extremes like surgery or something).

Or, put more succinctly: Hot, stupid people don't have much motivation to become smart. Smart, ugly people are judgmental of hot, stupid people. And those that are both smart AND hot (or ugly AND stupid) don't fall in line with OP's theory.

Edit: None of the above is restricted to women. It would apply to both genders. But if we assume that attractiveness is valued in women more than in men, then you'll find more women at the extreme end of the activity scale when it comes to social pursuits.
Hot, smart people have it good, I reckon?

I take selfies rarely at this point, but when I did, I wasn't not involved in educational and intellectual pursuits. Picture-taking took up little of my time, significantly less time than other meaningful activities... like playing GW2 or Neverwinter, or debating on message boards and online groups.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Hot, smart people have it good, I reckon?
I wouldn't know But I can imagine worse problems to have! And I'd certainly imagine that they're busier than most, to say the least.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
I found out a great indicator of a girl's ability to think deeper about life and have her life in command. Number of selfies she takes and posts on social media. I did a little study across female friends and even ex'es. And it's so linear. I mean I am not discovering America here but the more selfies a girl takes the less she is into reading and more into real housewives of wherever the f***. Has anybody found an exception to that? Do you mind your GF being like that all? Question for guys mostly I guess.
There is no correlation between number of selfies taken/posted, and intelligence among my female friends. How exactly do you define intelligence? Number books read? Type of books? Education level?

The 3-4 women I personally know who takes/posts lots of selfies are:

Girl #1 - World renown artist/dancer (ballet and European folk) who travels the world teaching workshops to thousands of people per year. Age: approximately 42.

Girl #2
- Extremely overweight married mother of two who is completing her studies of biology at a local university. Age: approximately 34

Girl #3 - Half Persian / half American SMOKING HOT manager of a local Fortune 100 Investment/Brokerage firm. MBA and CFP designations. Age: late 20s, early 30s.

Girl #4 - Very attractive yoga/fitness instructor with strong following online who also happens to be totally into comics, comicon, cosplay, role playing and similar type stuff. Degree in Comparative Literature from USC (Fight On Trojans!!!) who makes a living as a writer for tv. Age: mid-late 20s.

My guess OP is that it has more to do with the quality of the people you know than with the whole selfie vs. being well read thing.

Or, are you just trying to buy into the ridiculousness of assuming that all women who are very attractive who posts pictures of themselves on social media are of lesser intelligence? That is a stereotype that I find offensive and not at all true with most women I know. Usually that is what I hear from lesser attractive women who have some degree of jealousy (even though they will always always always deny it) of the attractive/popular woman.

Edit: It can also be a generational thing. Younger people today seem to post a LOT of themselves online. It kinda seems par for the course of living in such an technology driven instant communication society.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 12-09-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 12:15 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
I can't even deal with people like that...It's a sickness. ( I am assuming we are talking about vain women who post "sexy" photos for validation...) If a woman wants to subject herself to that "element",, she is free to do so. But I will say this: if I were a man, I would never date or respect a woman like that. And you KNOW why!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
You know how some unfimilarized tribes would think having their picture taken was actually stealing your soul from you?

....maybe they where right all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships