Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
My impression of your profile is its too brief & doesn't really give someone a sense of who you are. E.g. 'I'm single' elicits the response 'well, I hope you're single, given you're on a dating site'. It doesn't really need to be said. Can you talk about your job a bit more? What made you get into it, do you enjoy it etc. you write you're a foodie - do you cook, do you try different restaurants or foods etc? How often do you go camping? Would you mind if the other person likes glamping ( glamorous camping)? Add some humour.

Whenever I see a brief profile on OLD, I assume the person can't be bothered & they are not after a relationship, more casual sex & that would stop me from responding. Obviously the above is my POV & other people might see it differently. Nice profile pic.
No I really don't think it's the content. I've had it longer and more detailed as you describe. The same results. So I keep it simple and to the point and if someone is interested they can probe further into those topics. It gives room for conversation.

I think more of the issue is as mentioned here with the vast number of men message women on these sites as well the shoppers mentality it promotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
My impression of your profile is its too brief & doesn't really give someone a sense of who you are. E.g. 'I'm single' elicits the response 'well, I hope you're single, given you're on a dating site'. It doesn't really need to be said. Can you talk about your job a bit more? What made you get into it, do you enjoy it etc. you write you're a foodie - do you cook, do you try different restaurants or foods etc? How often do you go camping? Would you mind if the other person likes glamping ( glamorous camping)? Add some humour.

Whenever I see a brief profile on OLD, I assume the person can't be bothered & they are not after a relationship, more casual sex & that would stop me from responding. Obviously the above is my POV & other people might see it differently. Nice profile pic.

Also regarding the status of being single, I think it's best to clarify that.

Believe it or not there are plenty of people online that are not single. I've met two personally that are married and one that is in a relationship. All of course designated 'single' in their profile.

I've also heard from the women I've dated from these sites they get messaged by married men as well.

So stating i'm single I don't think is a bad idea considering. I'm just about over online dating so it's all about to come down. Sticking with real life situations is far better.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Also regarding the status of being single, I think it's best to clarify that.

Believe it or not there are plenty of people online that are not single. I've met two personally that are married and one that is in a relationship.

I've also heard from the women I've dated from these sites they get messaged by married men as well.

So stating i'm single I don't think is a bad idea considering.
Oh I know there are married men that claim to be single. I've had the displeasure of experiencing such a person first hand. Thankfully I got the truth out of him prior to meeting.

I'm not saying have a really long profile, but just flesh it out a bit more. Anyway, I do appreciate that OLD is really difficult for men so I can only give advice based on the type of men I would respond to.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I'm surprised how few women say they're approached IRL - have things changed this much??? The last time I was single was 13 years ago, granted. But at that time, and back from there all my adult life I was approached in public by guys all the time. Also a bunch of times at work...by friends-of-friends...etc.

I've been approached at restaurants, the store, the park with my son when I was a single mom (I guess because I didn't have a wedding ring on so they realized I was single), gosh...the library...I don't even know, LOL...anywhere and everywhere. Guy offering to pump me gas or whatever...Whatever opener seemed applicable (people used to know how to do this ). Not every day or anything, I am no beauty queen certainly, but it was a fairly regular thing. This was up to age 34 in case age has anything to do with it...at 34 I got married to my current DH.

Is this just a sign of the times? I mean it was a while ago but it wasn't 40 years ago or something, LOL.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I think men on these online dating sites greatly outnumber women. This is why we see such a disparity generally between men and women receiving messages..

Online I get virtually no response. Here is the profile..

MLee81 Guitar, Performing, Bonfires, Camping, Hiking, Canoeing

Not terrible but I'm sure there will be recommendations which is fine.

In real life, the chances of me landing a date are much better. I met a girl last Friday night at the bar and have a date this Saturday. Very attractive lady. If I messaged her online i'd doubt i'd even get a response.

Sadly I'm on four OLD dating (two paid) and the intent of meeting people is a very poor prognosis. I've come to the conclusion to save some money and stop paying for these sites.
You're so cute! And I love the relaxed, open smile w/guitar pic.

For your head shot I might get a little more creative...take that one w/a different background, maybe...have your face tilted a little, 3/4 view, perhaps...?

I don't know what else advice to give as I don't think I'm any good with OLD profiles, just wanted to chime in!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm surprised how few women say they're approached IRL - have things changed this much??? The last time I was single was 13 years ago, granted. But at that time, and back from there all my adult life I was approached in public by guys all the time. Also a bunch of times at work...by friends-of-friends...etc.

I've been approached at restaurants, the store, the park with my son when I was a single mom (I guess because I didn't have a wedding ring on so they realized I was single), gosh...the library...I don't even know, LOL...anywhere and everywhere. Guy offering to pump me gas or whatever...Whatever opener seemed applicable (people used to know how to do this ). Not every day or anything, I am no beauty queen certainly, but it was a fairly regular thing. This was up to age 34 in case age has anything to do with it...at 34 I got married to my current DH.

Is this just a sign of the times? I mean it was a while ago but it wasn't 40 years ago or something, LOL.
I think this also depends on location. In certain areas men are very in your face & are constantly pursuing, and I find the opposite in other locations.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
You're so cute! And I love the relaxed, open smile w/guitar pic.

For your head shot I might get a little more creative...take that one w/a different background, maybe...have your face tilted a little, 3/4 view, perhaps...?

I don't know what else advice to give as I don't think I'm any good with OLD profiles, just wanted to chime in!
lol thanks. It's been a pretty tough time getting people to have even a simple conversation though. Most in the area just check the profile and move on without response to the email I sent. I generally just initiate an interest with an open follow up question and invite to have a conversation and/or do something that's a mutual interest.

For whatever reason the response is very low. For those that do respond, many times the response is a short straightforward answer to the question with no probing for interest in further discussion. I'm thinking why even respond at all then? It's like pulling teeth to just have a simple conversation with grown adults.

Definitely just going to the bar works leagues beyond better.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 5,287 times
I get a couple a day.. Rarely in person.. I suffer from resting ***** face.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:

I totally agree to that statement. I used to walk down the street and get whistled at. Cars honking. Guys walking against lightpols because they stared at me. Walk in a bar and never sat longer alone than 3 minutes. Collecting tons of phone numbers in clubs.

Now I go to a sports event, walk down the bleachers, sit next to a guy, he looks away and moves so far over that I am wondering if I stink. Walk into a grocery store and ask a cute clerk about a product and he looks at me disgusted, answers, and walks off as fast as he can.

Is it my age? Or did my looks change so much? More competition? Or just a different vibe all around?

The only ones who still seem to care are cops - They always let me get away with a warning only.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:

I guess it depends on what you consider an approach. I've never hung out at bars, clubs, parties, etc. so I've never been approached in a setting like that. Have random men tried to talk to me while I'm going about my daily activities? Yes, but not anyone that I would've been interested in and I didn't engage them, so I don't even count it. Only on online dating sites have I actually had conversations with men where it got to the point of them asking me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships