Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,476 times

Advertisements

In the last 2 years I've noticed this among the couples I know and it's....interesting.

I've been to my share of weddings sine 2013 and in say 4 couples all who lived together for a good bit before marriage got pregnant almost immediately after the wedding.

Is this because once couples say "I do" the condom usage goes away and they rely on birth control only?

In all 4 of those cases they all said "oops" and "it's a LOT sooner than we planned on but we're happy"

I'm saying to myself couple A lived together for a year and I know they were having sex so they were being meticulous about preventing pregnancy and when they got married they just winged it? They said they intented to wait on children due to still living in an apartment and one being still in grad school. All these couples are finally starting their real careers so money isn't where they want.

So it's...interesting how fast they all got pregnant. I mean one I work with got married in October this year. Come December, she walks in with a sonogram and says oops....we're still in shock but we're okay, so not the plan not even 2 months after the wedding but I guess it's meant.

I know many do plan for a honeymoon baby or a baby soon but this is within 3-4 months after the actual wedding.

Is anyone else noticing this? Intentional or not? I've always known couples to wait at least a year to have a year of actual marriage before trying to get pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:10 PM

986 posts, read 1,867,856 times
I've seen this a bit too in my friend group. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that since these people already lived together, they need something to make married life "feel" different than just living together like always, so they go off the pill/stop using condoms? Could be.

I know personally if I lived with a boyfriend and then we got married, I'd want to do something that signified a new chapter for us, whether it be buying a house together, or finally getting to relax and not be on birth control anymore. Not sure if you're a woman or man OP, but birth control sucks and I can't wait to be married and stop using it.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:11 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
I have not noticed....

I think people who get pregnant and say "oops" or in shock are pretty idiotic... as if they didn't know that how babies are created.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
The people that I know that got pregnant shortly after getting married who already lived together all planned to have children right away. They were older and didn't want to wait. I lived with my husband before we got married and we waited about 5 years after we got married to start having children.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
The people that I know that got pregnant shortly after getting married who already lived together all planned to have children right away. They were older and didn't want to wait. I lived with my husband before we got married and we waited about 5 years after we got married to start having children.
Exactly the case with my spouse and I. We lived together before marrying, got married, and planned on starting a family asap, because we were 37 and 42. I got pregnant within three months of discontinuing contraception.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,707 times
I think it's because couples that tend to live together are going to be a little older than traditionally married couples and once they get married they need to get on the horse unless they want to have kids in the house when they are older.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,503,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have not noticed....

I think people who get pregnant and say "oops" or in shock are pretty idiotic... as if they didn't know that how babies are created.
Heh.

That accidental pregnancy thing...like a penis accidentally slips into a vagina. I see you working!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:16 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I've seen this a bit too in my friend group. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that since these people already lived together, they need something to make married life "feel" different than just living together like always, so they go off the pill/stop using condoms? Could be.

I know personally if I lived with a boyfriend and then we got married, I'd want to do something that signified a new chapter for us, whether it be buying a house together, or finally getting to relax and not be on birth control anymore. Not sure if you're a woman or man OP, but birth control sucks and I can't wait to be married and stop using it.
Try an IUD. I had horrible side effects from birth control pills, and shots. I have had an IUD for 6-8 years and no issues what so ever.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have not noticed....

Birth control fails. I was on the pill and used a condom when I acquired my daughter. I have been pregnant on depo also. The only one that has worked as far as I know, is the IUD I have now.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,476 times
I did say I know many couples do plan this but none of these couples are 'older' by any means.

ALL are between 23-27. Which is why it's so interesting. I know a lot of married right out of college and still don't have children 8 years later because they're still traveling and one even said we want a good decade before we have children.

Older live together couples are the norm because for the woman the clock is ticking and all the years just living together with no babies pushed the clock closer to the finish line.

For these couples I know not ONE is 30 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post

I'm a woman and totally confused her. Marriage doesn't = no birth control. I'm staying on it until I finally get the balls to find a gyn who'll give me an IUD because I haven't had children and don't plan on them or I find the right guy who's on the same page and doesn't mind a vasctomy.

The whole point of marriage is a 'new chapter' and having a baby isn't just to have an experience. That's life.

Get a dog for the new chapter. Married does feel different than just living together. You can't just pack your crap and move out. Now you're legally tied together and it's not just a pack up, crash on a friend's couch then be back out on the prowl for sex with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships