Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM

73 posts, read 70,714 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has been married for 6 years and has 2 children with her husband. Lately, she can't stop talking about her feeling that her husband might have already or is thinking about cheating. She tells me about his nervous, sometimes awkward behavior around this particular woman they see around their neighborhood. She has noticed that he stares at her and fidgets around (e.g. touches his face, nose, ears constantly when he's near her, etc.). There was a time when a neighbor told her that they saw him trying to make conversation with this woman once.

His behavior has been making her very uncomfortable. As a woman and as her friend, I can't help but believe that there might be something going on here! They are both pretty young (late 30's) and it is my understanding that he has had long term serious relationships with only a few women (inexperienced maybe?) before he married my friend. I am not sure if his behavior should be causing my friend to worry this much or if some insecurity/jealousy is a factor here...

My question is, are there any clear signs or behavior that someone who is in a relationship wants to or is thinking about cheating with someone they might be attracted to? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Short of reading someone mind, I don't believe there are clear signs that someone is "thinking" about cheating.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Maybe this woman has come on to him and now he's uncomfortable around her.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Well, from what you say, he's giving the signs of sexual attraction, yes. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that this woman is going to agree to have an affair with a married man. So is he about to cheat with her specifically? That doesn't just depend upon him.

However, if his eye is wandering in general, that could point to a bigger problem. The wife needs to address THAT, not just this one woman specifically. If the guy is "wandering," this one woman saying "no" won't keep him from moving along to the next woman.

As far as clear signs...people are all different. This guy from what you describe is showing signs of interest in someone else, yes. Who knows whether he'd actually proposition her?

Have they tried couples counseling?

Old 12-28-2015, 12:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Maybe you should ask her about her own sex life. A sexless marriage or a dissatisfied spouse could be a definite sign that an unhappy spouse could cheat. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A married man that age could definitely be unhappy if its cold between the sheets.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 PM

221 posts, read 187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Maybe you should ask her about her own sex life. A sexless marriage or a dissatisfied spouse could be a definite sign that an unhappy spouse could cheat. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A married man that age could definitely be unhappy if its cold between the sheets.
She can ask but the answer won't necessarily reflect the truth of the situation. Plenty of people with good, active sex lives stray from their partners/spouses. Cheating is not always about the sex. A person can cheat to feel attractive and sexy again or to "punish" their spouse/partner for whatever reason that makes them feel justified, or because they are feeling lonely and unappreciated, or because they want to get out of a relationship and this is just the ticket, or because the sky is blue and it's Tuesday and cheating is as natural as breathing.

Cheaters cheat. Sex may be the goal but is rarely the entire reason.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, from what you say, he's giving the signs of sexual attraction, yes.
So, if a man is touching his face, nose and ears, it's a sign that a man is sexually attracted to a woman?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So, if a man is touching his face, nose and ears, it's a sign that a man is sexually attracted to a woman?
Not that I know of, LOL, but I don't know everything there is to know about body language.

I do know that many men will try to "look bigger" when posturing if they're sexually interested. Examples are spreading one's legs when sitting down, stretching arms behind head with elbows sticking out, sitting up straighter with chest somewhat out, etc.

And men and women alike will generally turn the lower part of the body toward the party in which they are interested. So, even if I had my head turned to look at a friend with whom I was talking, if I had my knees pointed at you that could indicate interest (in combination with other factors, obviously, I mean legs have to go somewhere, LOL).

Old 12-28-2015, 02:01 PM

565 posts, read 432,599 times
Honestly, what you wrote about is neither here nor there. The guy could be attracted to this other woman and thus acting goofy around her, but it doesn't mean he is or is planning on cheating on your friend. There are certain signs to look for is a person is cheating on their SO, but you haven't listed any of those. She should be vigilant and patient, because if her intuition is telling her something, there is likely a reason for it. I would look out for actual signs of cheating.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not that I know of, LOL, but I don't know everything there is to know about body language.

I do know that many men will try to "look bigger" when posturing if they're sexually interested. Examples are spreading one's legs when sitting down, stretching arms behind head with elbows sticking out, sitting up straighter with chest somewhat out, etc.

And men and women alike will generally turn the lower part of the body toward the party in which they are interested. So, even if I had my head turned to look at a friend with whom I was talking, if I had my knees pointed at you that could indicate interest (in combination with other factors, obviously, I mean legs have to go somewhere, LOL).
Ok, your examples made me laugh out loud, Lol. Especially, the legs spread open facing the woman (here it is, baby) and arms behind his head stretching (come and get it) Hehe

I'm going to try that next time I see a woman I'm attracted to sitting close to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships