Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Are you sure this is your "friend"?

Anyway...your "friend" appears to have played a little game and lost. She hoped to prove to herself how desirable she is by kicking some poor dude to the curb, then having him blow up her phone begging or at the very least, rush up to her on first sight at a party in relief to be in her presence again.

Sadly, your friend has learned that she's not such a big deal after all. Nor is she, once gone, much of a loss. That had to hurt.
While reading this I kept picturing anonymous()scenes from movies. I'm sure it happens IRL, but I've only ever seen it play out on the big screen.

Quote:
Your friend may want to keep this humiliation in mind the next time she tries to play games with human beings.
I learned this at an early age after being on the receiving end of a game. I vowed that I would not purposefully cause someone that pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
Right or wrong I would feel uncomfortable in the same space as the one who dumped me fairly recently. I'd still be raw and want to avoid negative feelings of any kind.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:47 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Unbelievable!!!!

She's a piece of work your friend is , she's dumps a bloke in the most disrespectful way ( text ) and then is upset he's avoiding her LOL!!!

I'm just gutted that he wasn't with a new stunning girlfriend ( at that social event ) to rub her nose in it!!! .

Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Long story short, a close friend of mine broke up by text message (which I think was wrong). She text her boyfriend something like, "I'm sorry, but I don't think this can work out."

He did not respond at all to the text message. In fact, a month has passed and he still has not answered, nor has he tried to contact her in any way, shape, or form.

Recently, she has bumped into him in a social setting. He was talking to one of his male friends and completely ignored my friend. She felt hurt by his avoiding her and is wondering if he cared about her at all.

I told her that she is wrong by treating such a good man like garbage (by texting a breakup right before the holidays), and now she's upset with me.

Do you think her ex is reacting in anger by avoiding her completely - even in a social setting - which hurt her feelings- or is it normal to cut off someone completely after they dump you? What could be going on in his mind? I know he cared about her because when they were together, he himself told me that he wants to marry her.

Opinions, please
So, her little plan backfired LOL. Not only did she get what she asked for, but also what she deserved. IMO he's over it and doesn't want to relive it. Can't say that I blame him. There's nothing he needs to discuss with her. Somebody shows you who they really are (as she did by sending that text), believe them. I can speak from experience that when I'm done, I'm all the way done. If he's anything like me, your friend is in his rear view by now.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post

I learned this at an early age after being on the receiving end of a game. I vowed that I would not purposefully cause someone that pain.
Aww, that is sweet (your mature reaction, not what happened to you - I am so sorry - I think everyone goes through this at least once, somebody somewhere along the line decides to play a headgame).

And good on you for turning what could have made you bitter into a good life's lesson instead. That isn't easy to do, so kudos. In the end you were the winner.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:10 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Me too.

You can see how effective it is. Lol!
Right, and I wouldn't have thought it would be...I mean I have walked away without looking back and I would never have thought the person would feel "hurt" that I didn't come crawling back (?) - I just thought: Well, he doesn't want to be with me any more than I want to be with him, so I'm hurting but I'll get over it. I never in a million years would have thought "Well, he's playing a game and shooting himself in the foot and he's going to go complain to other people about how he's sooooo hurt that I did exactly what he wanted." But now, you know...who knows.

ETA: No wait, I just thought of someone I knew WAS playing around w/my head, but I wasn't sure why...it was almost as if he wanted me to do the breaking up, so I did because hell...I wasn't about to stand around in that environment. There were too many other great guys out there. He came back after a few months trying for a date and telling me that I missed him, LOL. Um...no I don't, dude! We broke up, you said "good" (literally, yes, that's what he said, LOL) after having said to me "You just don't have the guts to do the breaking up" (yep, said that too, I sh*t you not) so I figured we were on the same page........?

By the way, the guy was 40. Yes. Really. Not 14.

He kept calling until I directly told him to stop and then kept calling intermittently anyway, including at work, even after I got married (to someone else, obviously)...finally stopped when he called one day after a year or so and I said "Oh, I'm fine, this is my last day of work before maternity leave." Then he was really gone...

People can be seriously strange sometimes!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
Probably best to mind your own business. Your friend is pretty stupid/selfish to wonder why her ex dogs her. Texting to break up is the cowardly way to go. The guy sounds solid for granting her wish. From what I read here, many would blow her phone up with the "why?" "What can I do?" Messages of desperation. She got what she wanted, what more does she want?

Sounds like her plan didn't work....she sounds like she wanted the guy to react like many here would. Lol, unfortunately he wasn't interested and probably had moved on weeks/months before she "broke" up with him.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Well anyway, thanks for the answers.

It's been two days since my friend has spoken to me - I guess we're not friends anymore.

She was upset because I told her that if she was the one who dumped him, then why didn't she go up to him when she saw him, and start apologizing or at the very least say hi, instead of expecting him to come over to her. That if she still has feelings for him, it should be her who initiates contact again.

Honestly, I don't think she's very smart or well-versed when it comes to handling confrontations and problems.

Basically, she had a habit that he didn't like, and he asked her kindly to stop, so that he can feel comfortable moving the relationship forward. Although she initially agreed, she later saw it as if he's telling her what to do, so she broke up with him in hopes that he would backtrack and not ask her to stop the habit.

I still think she's wrong in going about it in such an immature way - by text.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Long story short, a close friend of mine broke up by text message (which I think was wrong). She text her boyfriend something like, "I'm sorry, but I don't think this can work out."

He did not respond at all to the text message. In fact, a month has passed and he still has not answered, nor has he tried to contact her in any way, shape, or form.

Recently, she has bumped into him in a social setting. He was talking to one of his male friends and completely ignored my friend. She felt hurt by his avoiding her and is wondering if he cared about her at all.

I told her that she is wrong by treating such a good man like garbage (by texting a breakup right before the holidays), and now she's upset with me.

Do you think her ex is reacting in anger by avoiding her completely - even in a social setting - which hurt her feelings- or is it normal to cut off someone completely after they dump you? What could be going on in his mind? I know he cared about her because when they were together, he himself told me that he wants to marry her.

Opinions, please

OP, good, you don't need friends like her. She sounds like a narcissistic, manipulative, attention store.

This time it was him, next time, it could be you.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:08 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Well anyway, thanks for the answers.

It's been two days since my friend has spoken to me - I guess we're not friends anymore.

She was upset because I told her that if she was the one who dumped him, then why didn't she go up to him when she saw him, and start apologizing or at the very least say hi, instead of expecting him to come over to her. That if she still has feelings for him, it should be her who initiates contact again.

Honestly, I don't think she's very smart or well-versed when it comes to handling confrontations and problems.

Basically, she had a habit that he didn't like, and he asked her kindly to stop, so that he can feel comfortable moving the relationship forward. Although she initially agreed, she later saw it as if he's telling her what to do, so she broke up with him in hopes that he would backtrack and not ask her to stop the habit.

I still think she's wrong in going about it in such an immature way - by text.
Probably better off so. She sounds immature.

Basically stopped talking to you cause you didn't tell her what she wanted to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships