Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times

Advertisements

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Long story short, a close friend of mine broke up by text message (which I think was wrong). She text her boyfriend something like, "I'm sorry, but I don't think this can work out."

Do you think her ex is reacting in anger by avoiding her completely - even in a social setting - which hurt her feelings- or is it normal to cut off someone completely after they dump you? What could be going on in his mind? I know he cared about her because when they were together, he himself told me that he wants to marry her.

Opinions, please
I'm going to swim against the tide and point out that there may be a good reason to break up with someone with a text b/c it happened to me. How long did they date, BTW?

This is what happened to me: I got up very early one morning and found the following text--"I feel like I'm losing you. Am I?" As it turned out, his feeling was correct and I had planned to break up with him in person on the following weekend, or maybe on the phone that night since we were in a LD relationship. But when I got the text, I knew he was at work and couldn't talk, and leading him on for the entire day didn't seem appropriate, and not answering seemed just plain mean. Saying talk to you later seemed mean too. So I told him that he had lost me--in text. Then we talked later that evening. I hated doing it that way, but he did ask. We still talk sometimes, though I have no interest in being with him again, so I assume he doesn't hold it against me and in fact he would date me again if I were so inclined.

As for the man wanting to marry her--did she know that? I have gotten out of relationships b/c it felt like the man didn't care at all, and found out later that he did but he did a poor job of showing it, or maybe he just wasn't compatible with me in the way he showed it. Either way it wasn't going to work. You didn't say what the habit is either--it could be something that is basic to who she is and his wanting her to change showed a basic incompatibility. It's not really fair to ask someone to change just to suit him, though people do it all the time--usually they wait till they're married.

Anyway, I do agree that the woman sounds immature, but I did want to point out that sometimes (rarely) it may be appropriate to break up that way.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Long story short, a close friend of mine broke up by text message (which I think was wrong). She text her boyfriend something like, "I'm sorry, but I don't think this can work out."

He did not respond at all to the text message. In fact, a month has passed and he still has not answered, nor has he tried to contact her in any way, shape, or form.

Recently, she has bumped into him in a social setting. He was talking to one of his male friends and completely ignored my friend. She felt hurt by his avoiding her and is wondering if he cared about her at all.

I told her that she is wrong by treating such a good man like garbage (by texting a breakup right before the holidays), and now she's upset with me.

Do you think her ex is reacting in anger by avoiding her completely - even in a social setting - which hurt her feelings- or is it normal to cut off someone completely after they dump you? What could be going on in his mind? I know he cared about her because when they were together, he himself told me that he wants to marry her.

Opinions, please
First off its his business, second he can do what he wants she threw in the towel without an explanation and texting like a little kid when they were in a grown up relationship.

I'd avoid her too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships