Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Since becoming an adult do you feel the education you received concerning the opposite sex was accur
Male: Yes. I feel I was properly educated concerning the opposite sex. 5 16.13%
Female: Yes. I feel I was properly educated concerning the opposite sex. 4 12.90%
Male: No. I feel I was not properly educated concerning the opposite sex. 17 54.84%
Female: No. I feel I was not properly educated concerning the opposite sex. 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times

Advertisements

Which ever sex you seek dates with -- do you feel you were raised and educated with the proper details concerning the opposite sex? Have you found the things you were told by caretakers to be mostly true or untrue now that you're an adult? TY.

**Please take the poll . It got cut off: "Since becoming an adult do you feel the education you received concerning the opposite sex was accurate?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I was raised with absolutely no foundation on how to approach the opposite sex in modern times.

My parents are both first generation Asian immigrants and on top of that both unassuming, shy, and passive. And my father is worse. He has no game, a very childlike sense of humor, and is serious to a fault. How he got my mother is beyond me. He is a good man though.

I was never pushed to approach the opposite sex, and certainly never made aware of all the obstacles I'd have to overcome just to get a kiss, much less a relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I grew up a passive, shy, unconfident young man, and this is more or less how I was raised to be. I've been able to turn that around a lot though.

I think this is particularly tough for a man in America in modern dating. If you don't stand out physically, you have to stand out with your personality. Men should be trained to have confidence, be bold, and laugh at rejection from the start.

My sister grew up under the same roof and has been dating since high school.

Not trying to incite another gender way ... just saying my experience.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
In a classroom setting, education on the opposite sex was primarily a nuts and bolts education. Here are the parts, this is sort of how they work in an abstract way.

How to interact, relate, nurture, get to know, etc... no. Of course, a lot of those things are wrapped into our own self image, and our social upbringing in general.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Raised mostly by my dad and with my younger brother. I know guys waaaaayyyy better than I understand my own sex. It's worked out quite well for me though...thanks dad...I dont know what I would do without your teachings about football, horror movies, poker and the importance of knowing how to grill!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,471 times
So I'm Number Six. Interesting.

No. I have had to go about this in the most difficult way imaginable. Even at 43, most of this stuff I simply do not get. Mainly with the whole 'chemistry' thing. What the **** does that even mean anyway?!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Yes. Only bad thing is my parents have such an awesome relationship that it sort of set high standards for what I want in a marriage. I want what they have and it'll be real disappointing if I never get that. My dad taught me well what to look for in a girl. My parents also taught me how to love someone.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I was raised with absolutely no foundation on how to approach the opposite sex in modern times.

My parents are both first generation Asian immigrants and on top of that both unassuming, shy, and passive. And my father is worse. He has no game, a very childlike sense of humor, and is serious to a fault. How he got my mother is beyond me. He is a good man though.

I was never pushed to approach the opposite sex, and certainly never made aware of all the obstacles I'd have to overcome just to get a kiss, much less a relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I grew up a passive, shy, unconfident young man, and this is more or less how I was raised to be. I've been able to turn that around a lot though.

I think this is particularly tough for a man in America in modern dating. If you don't stand out physically, you have to stand out with your personality. Men should be trained to have confidence, be bold, and laugh at rejection from the start.

My sister grew up under the same roof and has been dating since high school.

Not trying to incite another gender way ... just saying my experience.
That's why I posted this question, b/c like you no one told me anything about how to 'get approached' by male. Only thing I was told was males to avoid due to their mindsets and behaviors where women and sex are concerned. people have this belief that women just have to show up and everything falls into place -- but that has never been the case for me. B/C this is constantly being perpetuated, it leads to the belief that women should have zero problems with men. You have even done that here by saying "it's tougher problem for men in America," again failing to realize the obstacles some women have in this area. Sigh. Your parents being shy and passive probably greatly hindered you from learning how to approach women. But women who do not know how to play the game like other women are also hindered. The days where a woman could play coy and just sit around waiting for Prince Charming to notice her have long since passed....Men and women are both expected to know automatically how these things work and that's not the case for all of us.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Raised mostly by my dad and with my younger brother. I know guys waaaaayyyy better than I understand my own sex. It's worked out quite well for me though...thanks dad...I dont know what I would do without your teachings about football, horror movies, poker and the importance of knowing how to grill!
I'm with you on this! Although, I was raised by both my mom and dad, and having 3 brothers, no sisters..

I guess being around my brothers and having lots of guy friends - taught me tons...

Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
I grew up in an all-male environment and didn't have any contact with women. So I never learned how to interact with them. It's all been trial and error for me - mostly error.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I'm with you on this! Although, I was raised by both my mom and dad, and having 3 brothers, no sisters..

I guess being around my brothers and having lots of guy friends - taught me tons...
Exactly! Because of the way I was raised I dont sit like a dainty flower expecting a man to come up and wine and dine me. I will (and have) approached a man. I will initiate conversation about sports, movies (not chick flicks) and anything else. I was also raised that men and women split everything evenly, hence I have been taught that women and men are always on the same level. My parents always had separate bank accounts and were always on the same playing field.

Helps get rid of all the BS a lot of people deal with when dating today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships