Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:28 AM

332 posts, read 294,651 times

Advertisements

At the same time? You're testing out the waters, seeing what's out there, right? This guy just basically told me that if I wanted to see other guys, then he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I like him, but it's nothing serious - have only met him once before I went home for winter break. He's acting as if I'm his girlfriend, but I thought we were both just casually dating. It could lead to something more, but not until I get back to town and go on a real date with him. Am I getting the wrong impression of what casual dating really is?

And not to be mean, but aren't medical residents suppose to be super busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
IMO, casual dating can mean whatever you want it to mean, as long as both you and the other person are very clear about how you are defining this.

You should make what you want clear to the other person and if you are not on the same page, let each other go. Your last statement does indeed sound a bit mean and it comes across as disinterest.i.e you don't sound too keen to see him. Let him go if he's not for you.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:24 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
The guy sounds controlling.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:25 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
OP: It doesn't sound like you two have different definitions of casual dating, it sounds like only one of you thinks you're dating casually.

So, to answer your question....no, I think you have the right idea of what casual dating is (at least by my definition), but it seems like he's working under the assumption that you're exclusive. It happens all the time. Just evaluate what you really want and then talk to him about it. If you're on different pages, you may have to break it off.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
The guy sounds controlling.
I wouldn't go THAT far. I've had this experience with at least half the women I've ever dated: they came into date 1 assuming exclusivity. That mindset, while kind of naive, isn't quite "controlling". At least not yet.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:33 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
At the same time? You're testing out the waters, seeing what's out there, right? This guy just basically told me that if I wanted to see other guys, then he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I like him, but it's nothing serious - have only met him once before I went home for winter break. He's acting as if I'm his girlfriend, but I thought we were both just casually dating. It could lead to something more, but not until I get back to town and go on a real date with him. Am I getting the wrong impression of what casual dating really is?

-->Am I getting the wrong impression of what casual dating really is?

Why does that even matter? Did you guys make an agreement to "casually date"? (Which would be weird to make such an agreement.) And even if you did, did you define what that would mean? Obviously it means different things to different people. Personally I don't "test out the waters" with more than one person at a time, and have no desire to see anyone that wants to do that. If I am not the one that they want to date, then they are not the one for me. If it doesn't work, I move on to the next one.

As for your situation...you've not been on a "real date"? Exactly what have you done then? If you are not truly even dating, then, it sounds like he is already emotionally invested and you are not.

As far as his being busy, I don't think that matters here.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:34 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
This guy just basically told me that if I wanted to see other guys, then he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I like him, but it's nothing serious - have only met him once before I went home for winter break. He's acting as if I'm his girlfriend, but I thought we were both just casually dating.
For me, this is a major problem. He is already making ultimatums based on assumptions that he has conjured up in his mind without actually talking to you. If making ultimatums are the only way he knows how to have a relationship, I would be very wary. Don't expect this type of behavior (tantrum really) to stop any time soon.

All of this even before the first "real" date? Heck no... that's pretty darn controlling.

You are correct.... unless both parties agree to a committed relationship there is no assumption of exclusivity. It is your life as a single individual and you have every right to live and date however you want.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM

524 posts, read 521,879 times
Quote:

You have the correct impression of what casual dating is. He is trying to control you. It's your decision if you want to be in a relationship with a controlling, anal, type A personality like him.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 AM

332 posts, read 294,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
-->Am I getting the wrong impression of what casual dating really is?

Why does that even matter? Did you guys make an agreement to "casually date"? (Which would be weird to make such an agreement.) And even if you did, did you define what that would mean? Obviously it means different things to different people. Personally I don't "test out the waters" with more than one person at a time, and have no desire to see anyone that wants to do that. If I am not the one that they want to date, then they are not the one for me. If it doesn't work, I move on to the next one.

As for your situation...you've not been on a "real date"? Exactly what have you done then? If you are not truly even dating, then, it sounds like he is already emotionally invested and you are not.

As far as his being busy, I don't think that matters here.
No, we've never discussed about where we stood. I assummed it was casual because well... I've only met the guy once lol. We met for a drink and talked for a few hours before I went home for winter break and that was it. We do have great chemistry and talk on the phone/through texts, but I thought it was a fling at the most as I really don't know him that well. While he has a pleasant personality, I'm mostly hanging on because of the physical attraction right now.

I brought up about him being busy because I honestly don't know where he's finding all this time to talk to me lol. Probably on the job, but I didn't think it was possible considering his job. You're right though, it's irrelevant to what I'm really asking.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:16 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It's hard to say without really knowing what has gone on and what was said. No man I've ever known has wanted his girlfriend to be seeing other guys. Not unless she is meaningless to him except for occasional release and he rates her as "too dumb to charge for it" which, believe me, is not a compliment from any angle you look at it.

If you want to be seeing him and seeing other men at the same time, tell him so. Let him decide whether that suits him. If it doesn't like it, he'll leave, which shouldn't matter too much to you if you've got other people that you are dating.

I wouldn't judge him as controlling over just this issue. If he shows control issues about other things, then he is controlling. I'd say that if he doesn't care who else you are sleeping with that he doesn't care very much about you and finds you to be interchangeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships