Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You've never acted like a lunatic "out of courtesy"? Thank you for making the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't see anything funny about telling someone I have AIDS just because my date is boring.
I didn't say it was funny. I implied the thought would entertain me. The entertainment value for me comes from the absurdity of telling someone such a personal thing during a lull in an already bad date.

If you don't appreciate the absurdity of that then we are not a good match and should see other people. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Like, "Have you ever eaten dog?" or "I have AIDs."

Was that in Africa or Asia?

If not, the date would end for me right there.

No, I have never said anything super stupid for entertainment purpose . Doesn't sound like a good idea IMO.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Was that in Africa or Asia?

If not, the date would end for me right there.

No, I have never said anything super stupid for entertainment purpose . Doesn't sound like a good idea IMO.
I find your comment very offensive! Are you suggesting that AIDS and eating dogs are only to be found in Africa or Asia because not only is that presumptuous, but also very wrong!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
I've never been on a date where I'm bored. Mind you, I go in with the mindset that even if I don't like the person, I'm still going to have fun and make it a pleasurable experience for them. I think making up stories is just insulting and if it's that bad, then it would be better to make your excuses and leave. I try to treat others how I would like to be treated!
Fair points. Thanks for putting thought into your reply rather than immediately crucifying me

Of the examples I gave the only one that would be flat out making it up is the AIDs one. Which is my least favorite of the three I hypotheticals. That one just jumped out in my mind and I kind of had to include it in a thread like this.

If someone asked me something really weird out of the blue like, "Have you ever ate dog?" it might ignite a little interest for me just because it at least makes a date less mundane.

Certainly better than 10 back to back questions about my job or education.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Fair points. Thanks for putting thought into your reply rather than immediately crucifying me

Of the examples I gave the only one that would be flat out making it up is the AIDs one. Which is my least favorite of the three I hypotheticals. That one just jumped out in my mind and I kind of had to include it in a thread like this.

If someone asked me something really weird out of the blue like, "Have you ever ate dog?" it might ignite a little interest for me just because it at least makes a date less mundane.

Certainly better than 10 back to back questions about my job or education.
You're welcome. I have had quite a few interesting experiences that I'm always willing to share e.g. The time I tried frog and snail. Then there's the time I went crocodile and shark diving etc. a good sense of humour is important to me, so if anyone's turning up on a date with me, this is a prerequisite.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I find your comment very offensive! Are you suggesting that AIDS and eating dogs are only to be found in Africa or Asia because not only is that presumptuous, but also very wrong!

I was just kidding. No need to get offended. Why exactly are you offended? You state you have a good sense of humor. Hmmm.

Anyhow:

With only 5 per cent of the world’s population, Eastern and Southern Africa is home to half the world’s population living with HIV. The Southern Africa sub-region, in particular, experiences the most severe HIV epidemics in the world.

UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa - HIV and AIDS - Overview

It is legal to eat dogs in China, also South Korea. Cat meat can be found on the menu in China, South Korea, Vietnam and even parts of South America. Millions are eaten in these countries. It's a long-standing culinary tradition.

Man bites dog? It's legal to eat dogs and cats in 44 states

Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I was just kidding. No need to get offended. Why exactly are you offended? You state you have a good sense of humor. Hmmm.

Anyhow:

With only 5 per cent of the world’s population, Eastern and Southern Africa is home to half the world’s population living with HIV. The Southern Africa sub-region, in particular, experiences the most severe HIV epidemics in the world.

UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa - HIV and AIDS - Overview

It is legal to eat dogs in China, also South Korea. Cat meat can be found on the menu in China, South Korea, Vietnam and even parts of South America. Millions are eaten in these countries. It's a long-standing culinary tradition.

Man bites dog? It's legal to eat dogs and cats in 44 states
I do have a great sense of humour, but I find nothing humorous when someone directly takes a jab at me! HIV is prevalent throughout the world, so get off your high horse and put some thought into your remarks!

Old 01-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I do have a great sense of humour, but I find nothing humorous when someone directly takes a jab at me! HIV is prevalent throughout the world, so get off your high horse and put some thought into your remarks!

What? I didn't take a jab at you, I don't even know you, nor where you come from and what diseases you have or what you eat?? Why would I JAB at YOU??

I have asked French people if they ever ate frogs and they weren't offended. I got asked if my family killed any Jews (I am German) and I didn't get offended. I think you need to get the stick out of your butt if you are so tight there.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Yes! One guy was just really boring and kind of a hick...he'd mentioned he couldn't stand tattoos and asked if I had any. I don't but I just had to mess with him....so I said yes...of course he asked where. I could tell that his interest actually picked up, likely because he assumed having tattoos was associated with other "creative" (shall we say) behaviors. So then I had to be really coy and say I couldn't tell him where and he'd have to guess because I sure couldn't show him! Haha - it was hilarious!

Old 01-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
What? I didn't take a jab at you, I don't even know you, nor where you come from and what diseases you have or what you eat?? Why would I JAB at YOU??

I have asked French people if they ever ate frogs and they weren't offended. I got asked if my family killed any Jews (I am German) and I didn't get offended. I think you need to get the stick out of your butt if you are so tight there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes! One guy was just really boring and kind of a hick...he'd mentioned he couldn't stand tattoos and asked if I had any. I don't but I just had to mess with him....so I said yes...of course he asked where. I could tell that his interest actually picked up, likely because he assumed having tattoos was associated with other "creative" (shall we say) behaviors. So then I had to be really coy and say I couldn't tell him where and he'd have to guess because I sure couldn't show him! Haha - it was hilarious!
That's a good one! I think games like that can be fun for both even if the joke is on the other person. When you're having a good time it improves the atmosphere. Better than playing it overly safe and trudge through an explanation of what a regular work day looks like for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships