Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:50 PM

505 posts, read 368,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
We chatted back via text and forth for like a good 30-40 minutes, again really great conversation agreeing we should meet up.
Does nobody actually talk on the phone anymore these days? Njoy going over ur data limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
Quote:
I think before I start phone calls I want to gauge just a little more where I stand with him. He already seems to be keeping a distance so I don't want to push it. After the second date (if we have one) I think I will feel more comfortable calling him.
This is hilarious to me. Do you realize there was a time not that long ago, like less than 20 years ago, when we didn't have text at all so we had no choice, we actually had to call people. Or write them a letter (that's like an email only you write with a pen on paper and send it through what we call the "post office").

I remember when texting was first introduced and people had the totally opposite view of what you're saying, that they wanted to make sure they were comfortable speaking on the phone before using text because the phone conversation was worth more than the text. And I don't care what you may think about your first text exchange but it's not possible to connect with someone over text. It's impersonal and fraught with misunderstanding because you can't hear or see any body language and therefore things get misconstrued quite often. At least when you speak on the phone you can gauge someone's tone of voice to determine their mood or level of interest. And before you say anything, I'm not some old fogie telling you this. I was born in the mid 70s and grew up in the 80s and 90s.

I think you should call him to figure out whether he is interested or not. Because you'll be able to tell if he's bored or not happy to hear from you by the tone of his voice in a way that would never come across in text.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:34 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
I dated a guy like that, it was exhausting. I thought it was rude.
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to answer a text within a 24 hour period.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
You say this guy is "model" handsome. Ask yourself: if he weren't, would you be putting up with ANY of this carp?

He is unusually handsome. He is used to being chased by guys who don't care how humiliatingly he treats them - not bothering to speak to them for days and so on. If that's what you're down for, a maybe date perhaps once in a blue moon following days or weeks of agonizing over exactly how often you should even text, much less call and when you do, how to send the most casual meme possible so as not to make him bolt to the next helpless admirer or three, then go for it.

But if the input of a straight woman means anything at all here, personally I'd mentally tell this guy to eff off and I'd go on to my other date(s) without a second thought.

This guy will get older, his looks will fade, his time to no longer be a superstar will come, ouch, but by then you'll be years gone and just looking back at this early time period and smiling to yourself, perhaps even reminiscing and laughing with your life partner or husband.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You say this guy is "model" handsome. Ask yourself: if he weren't, would you be putting up with ANY of this carp?

He is unusually handsome. He is used to being chased by guys who don't care how humiliatingly he treats them - not bothering to speak to them for days and so on. If that's what you're down for, a maybe date perhaps once in a blue moon following days or weeks of agonizing over exactly how often you should even text, much less call and when you do, how to send the most casual meme possible so as not to make him bolt to the next helpless admirer or three, then go for it.

But if the input of a straight woman means anything at all here, personally I'd mentally tell this guy to eff off and I'd go on to my other date(s) without a second thought.

This guy will get older, his looks will fade, his time to no longer be a superstar will come, ouch, but by then you'll be years gone and just looking back at this early time period and smiling to yourself, perhaps even reminiscing and laughing with your life partner or husband.
I completely agree with everyone! Tomorrow I will give him a CALL (I think that's a great suggestion) and if nothing comes of it, I am completely done and moving on! Again it's not that I'm desperate for this guy but moreso confused as this is all pretty new to me, dating a guy that is....

Old 01-09-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
He may not be a departure from the norm. You may have conveyed the "oversexualized gay guys" thing to him in a text. That's why he's not returning your texts as quickly as he would if he knew you were down for random sex.

You should be familiar with this type of behavior; men do this to women who don't put out on first dates. He put you on the back burner. His long delays in responding to your texts should give you a better grasp of where you stand with him. Move on.
Actually I left out one big detail that I completely forgot. He told me he has been crazy busy and stressed out recently because it looks he is going to lose his job in the coming weeks so his priorities have shifted in figuring out the next steps. He told me this the first time I texted him that if he wasn't interested in me he could tell me I wouldn't be offended and he also mentioned during our date he was having a tough time with it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, maybe not, but it is a detail I forgot to mention. I am actually surprised I forgot that, I'm good at remembering that stuff.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Even when people are really busy and stressed out they will find time to talk to people who are important to them. In fact they especially will, because it gives them a few moments of relaxation. Ive never been one to think someone being extremely busy gives them a pass not to contact someone they care for, even once a day.

I know about being extremely busy. I make time during the busy day to talk to my SO. He makes it tough, because he doesnt text, so I actually have to TALK to him. And I find time to do it. All you need is 5 sec. to text someone.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Even when people are really busy and stressed out they will find time to talk to people who are important to them. In fact they especially will, because it gives them a few moments of relaxation. Ive never been one to think someone being extremely busy gives them a pass not to contact someone they care for, even once a day.

I know about being extremely busy. I make time during the busy day to talk to my SO. He makes it tough, because he doesnt text, so I actually have to TALK to him. And I find time to do it. All you need is 5 sec. to text someone.
Agreed. I'm going to call later today and that will be the last action I take on this. I'm starting to go back on my online dating chats to chat with other guys . Definitely not waiting around.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Is he a man of a certain age? Maybe he doesn't like to text.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM

524 posts, read 521,769 times
Quote:
Agreed. I'm going to call later today and that will be the last action I take on this. I'm starting to go back on my online dating chats to chat with other guys . Definitely not waiting around.
I urge you not to call him. It is a common tactic for manipulators to share sob stories such as traumatic childhoods, bad exes or bad luck stories on the 1st date. Their goal is to get you to exchange similar personal stories and personal information with them.

You feel encouraged that he's confiding in you about his job, but in reality he told the same sob story to the other guys he met online that week.

He told you he will be out of a job soon to create a sense of obligation in you. You probably offered to pick up the tab on your 1st date.

The long delays in responding to your texts is not only rude but it indicates he is busy with another fish on his hook. If that fish gets away, you'll be next in line.

If a man is interested in you, he will do everything in his power to be with you and stay in consistent contact with you.

Stop chasing him. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships