Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Yes, he said he went back to the store and "that" particular ring was gone. He looked at other places and found another one with a similar setting, but by then I think the color did get lost on him. BTW, it's a lab creAted stone, which is fine, since contrary to what some might think, I'm reAlly not a material girl. I was torn on what to do and was sincerely asking for opinions. Thank you all for commenting. Seems wearing it with gratitude is the right thing to do.
Well, he tried. It sounds like he really tried, so yes, you should be grateful for the effort he made, and leave it at that. There was nothing to be done, because the original ring was done. He showed you he cared by trying for something that was as close as he could get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
My husband and I were out shopping earlier this year and I noticed this really pretty peridot ring and said hey if you're looking for something to get me for Christmas, I really like this ring. So at Chistmas I open this small box from him, and it's a very pretty ring, but it's a dark green emerald stone. I wear lots of lime green and love that color, not so much the dark green. I'm just afraid I'll hurt his feelings because I know he worked hard to find a gift he thought I'd like. Should I say anything or just wear the new ring?
Quote:
Maybe should have mentioned it's a lab created emerald, not the genuine article, if that makes a difference. And yes, I think it has to do with not knowing the difference in shades of green.
Nope, it doesn't. At least not to me anyway. I use to wear ties a long time ago and could have dressed a army of lawyers with my collection. My wife and children loved to purchase them for me. My wife was very good at picking out beautiful ties. My children were a little more creative. Now we all have are tastes but I tell you what every time I went to put on a tie I always received more enjoyment putting on the children purchased ties than the ones I personally purchased. They became my favorites. Watching their faces as I left the house sporting the tie they purchased for me, far better than sporting that tie from
Saks. When my tie wearing days were over I had no problem getting rid of those power ties. I still have the ones my children purchased for me.

Quote:
Yes, he said he went back to the store and "that" particular ring was gone. He looked at other places and found another one with a similar setting, but by then I think the color did get lost on him. BTW, it's a lab creAted stone, which is fine, since contrary to what some might think, I'm reAlly not a material girl. I was torn on what to do and was sincerely asking for opinions. Thank you all for commenting. Seems wearing it with gratitude is the right thing to do.
OK,

Maybe at some point down the road that piece will be the most important to you.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
At least he got you something!

Old 01-09-2016, 01:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I like emeralds too but it's hard to find quality ones. The ones that I saw at Tiffany was $40k, my husband wouldn't buy real jewelry without tagging me along.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:18 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
He got you something he thought you would like. It was a gift from the heart. If you want the other ring buy it yourself and wear both. Tell him how much you love it. A gift is a gift.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Yep, why I hate Christmas. Its all about MEEEEEEEE.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Don't listen to the haters. Jewelry is a very personal thing. Its hard to wear it if you don't love it. And then its a waste of money, you feel guilty, etc.

It took me YEARS to get my husband to stop buying me jewelry! I hated it. He never got my taste. Once he got me a very expensive pendent and earrings. Way over what he should have spent on my gift. I know he was trying to be nice...but it was triangles. I have a totally irrational, but severe phobia of triangles. Anyone who has known me at all knows this. I would never, ever wear one! Honestly, I have only liked one jewelry item he has picked out for me.

I started telling him to stop buying them for me. And he kept it up. So then I thought I would be very specific. So I wanted a locket. I told him exactly what I wanted. Something simple, oval, with a place for two photos. He got me a super ornate one, with a place for one picture in a heart shape. I was pissed.

Yep, it is about me! A gift like that should take into consideration of what the woman wants, likes and could use. Not what the guy thinks is pretty. Sorry...but no.

So this year was the first xmas he did not get me jewelry. I thanked him profusely.

I think it would be ok to ask him if he would mind if you would trade it in for a ring you will wear more often...of course thank him and let him know you were happy he tried.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Oh I know it wasn't a hint but just men not listening or picking up on things in general I meant....... ( we all do it ) and it reminded me of that other thread ( for whatever reason )

Or on the other hand he may have well gone for that ring and it wasn't there and had to find something else
Then it was not smart of him to "try to pass it off" as she'd obviously notice it was not what she'd pointed out to him. So no, he's just an idiot in general.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Be thankful he did not get you a vacuum cleaner

If I were him, that would be next year's gift.

Yes OP, you are ungrateful.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
At least he got you something!
Ugh, yes....any crumb is better than nothing. Again, thank him...but too much reinforcement for an incorrect behavior will only get you more of the same behavior later. "Shaping" (for all you Skinnerians out there) is necessary in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships