Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,606,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I used to hike in NEPA when I lived there. Most of the above didn't really bother me but my God the ticks! I took my dog one time, she came home covered. I had to (literally) comb over the kids and myself every time we went...I only ever had one but one was enough, blarghhhhhh. (My sin is crawling just remembering this.)

Maybe this isn't making the OP feel any better, LOL.
I used to live in NEPA too!! Did you ever hike Lehigh Gorge?

I don't know if they have deer ticks in CA like we did.

Peppermint soap helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 11:33 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,467 times
Your boyfriend should be advising you about what you'll need to wear and bring depending upon the hiking trails experience level. Hopefully, your first hike will be a walk in the park (pun intended).

I love to hike but unfortunately, the times when it's been suggested by a man as a dating activity, it always turned out to be a way for him to show off how rugged he is, without consideration of my comfort level or ability. I've been on hiking "dates" that were long, steep, slippery, and dangerous. At least twice, I found myself in situations that I didn't think I would get out of without a helicopter rescue. And once I sprained my ankle and we didn't make it back to the trail head until after nightfall. On another hiking date, we went off the trail and got lost in the forest in the dark... okay that time it was my fault, and he was REALLY mad. We never saw each other again. LOL. Unless it is a short easy and beautiful hike, it is absolutely not romantic!

Last edited by Butterflyfish; 01-10-2016 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 AM

19,371 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Your boyfriend should be advising you about what you'll need to wear and bring depending upon the hiking trails experience level. Hopefully, your first hike will be a walk in the park (pun intended).

I love to hike but unfortunately, the times when it's been suggested by a man as a dating activity, it always turned out to be a way for him to show off how rugged he is, without consideration of my comfort level or ability. I've been on hiking "dates" that were long, steep, slippery, and dangerous. At least twice, I found myself in situations that I didn't think I would get out of without a helicopter rescue. And once I sprained my ankle and we didn't make it back to the trail head until after nightfall. On another hiking date, we went off the trail and got lost in the forest in the dark... okay that time it was my fault, and he was REALLY mad. We never saw each other again. LOL. Unless it is a short easy and beautiful hike, it is absolutely not romantic!
See, that's what I was talking about. I'm not about to try out an experience like that with someone I barely know. Have to give you credit, though.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 AM

I knew the men well enough. In each case I mentioned, we were either friends before we dated, or ran in the same social circles, so I wasn't worried about being alone in the woods with them. But you bring up a good point about that. Spraining an ankle, getting lost, or falling off a cliff are not the only things a girl has to worry about!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 AM

19,371 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I knew the men well enough. In each case I mentioned, we were either friends before we dated, or ran in the same social circles, so I wasn't worried about being alone in the woods with them. But you bring up a good point about that. Spraining an ankle, getting lost, or falling off a cliff are not the only things a girl has to worry about!
Oh, no, I just meant that those kinds of situations are prone to you having to deal with more challenges than just dinner and a movie or whatever. Like that's something you do to see if you are compatible enough to live together or be married. lol

Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 AM

Oh okay, I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, I agree with you completely.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Im new to it thats all
Idk if i will like it yet it sounds exciting but i hate snakes

Take a blanket.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
I simply cannot comprehend a life without hiking. I live for it. The more remote and strenuous, the better. I wouldn't call it romantic though. It is immensely enjoyable and rewarding, however. I'll never, ever understand the 'damn nature, you scary!' types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships