Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn apart View Post
Your right but I don't need them some of them tried to reach out but I Iet them know I have my dog and thats all I need.
Then your all set. You can always offer advice on how to alienate and remove relationships from your life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 06:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisalmon View Post
I've been having a disagreement with my brother about american women. He seems to think that by and large they don't make good wives, and I disagree completely. I don't know where he gets this idea from.

This has been an ongoing debate for ages now, but what annoys me is the way he criticizes my girlfriend. He's met her many times and I really don't see any reason for him to think badly of her, yet he still criticizes her. Usually it's when it's just me and him, but recently he's started being slightly snarky with her. I'm concerned that this will get worse and he's going to start being openly hostile. He's very opinionated and is prone to putting his foot in it and making me look stupid. I would like him to keep his thoughts to himself or try to see her for how she is instead of making unfounded assumptions. If he can't do this it's eventually going to become a big problem.

By the way when he says that he has a problem with american women, he means the entire continent, north and south, as in "the americas". How can I tell him to back off? He's a few years older than me and I've always looked up to him which is why I find it hard to assert myself with him.
Where do you live? Probably in the US right? Perhaps he needs to return to wherever you came from.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:49 PM

912 posts, read 915,257 times
Quote:
Only thing I can tell you is my brother did the same thing and the only thing I did was tell him I heard some bad stuff about his fiance. He tells me to stay out of his life then two years later he calls me because he got put out of his house and has nowhere to go, so I tell him to go to the shelter because we aren't brothers anymore.
Sounds like you are a bad brother. Just as well that he learns this now than later.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:51 PM

912 posts, read 915,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I would venture that you do. You're all alone with your attitude.
(I couldn't rep you again yet.)

Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Only thing I can tell you is my brother did the same thing and the only thing I did was tell him I heard some bad stuff about his fiance. He tells me to stay out of his life then two years later he calls me because he got put out of his house and has nowhere to go, so I tell him to go to the shelter because we aren't brothers anymore.
To have such an extreme reaction towards someone you claim to love is quite unusual. Most people would forgive their siblings and try to help, not kick them whilst they are down! You sound very bitter towards life in general. I hope things improve for you so you can let go of some of your resentment.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:59 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisalmon View Post
I've been having a disagreement with my brother about american women. He seems to think that by and large they don't make good wives, and I disagree completely. I don't know where he gets this idea from.

This has been an ongoing debate for ages now, but what annoys me is the way he criticizes my girlfriend. He's met her many times and I really don't see any reason for him to think badly of her, yet he still criticizes her. Usually it's when it's just me and him, but recently he's started being slightly snarky with her. I'm concerned that this will get worse and he's going to start being openly hostile. He's very opinionated and is prone to putting his foot in it and making me look stupid. I would like him to keep his thoughts to himself or try to see her for how she is instead of making unfounded assumptions. If he can't do this it's eventually going to become a big problem.

By the way when he says that he has a problem with american women, he means the entire continent, north and south, as in "the americas". How can I tell him to back off? He's a few years older than me and I've always looked up to him which is why I find it hard to assert myself with him.
You HAVE to stand up to him and tell him straight

I understand he's your older brother and all but it's got to be done

Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM

103 posts, read 69,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
To have such an extreme reaction towards someone you claim to love is quite unusual. Most people would forgive their siblings and try to help, not kick them whilst they are down! You sound very bitter towards life in general. I hope things improve for you so you can let go of some of your resentment.
He made a choice and it was the wrong I didn't do this he did. Trust me there is no resentment after cutting people like him out of my life its been pretty smooth.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I don't know what kind of foreigner your brother is, but if I were your girlfriend I would run for the hills. It sounds like a no win situation for any girl you marry.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Well my brother chose his women and she left, I don't care about him and he's homeless. I'll let you figure it out who has it worse.
Well, clearly you have it worse. You have a cold heart, and that is far, far worse than being homeless. Your brother has the chance and opportunity to pull his life together, but you will have a much harder time long term with a cold heart.

Quote:
Your right but I don't need them some of them tried to reach out but I Iet them know I have my dog and thats all I need.
Yep, that dog. Good ol' dog...until it dies in a few years. Unfortunately, dogs have a relatively short life span - 10-15 years generally. And those dogs are SO GOOD at helping with things that need to be done too. I've been training mine to help me mow the lawn.

Quote:
I have a roof over my head and my dog im good to go.
That dog will be there for you when you are 80 and....oh...wait.....no, it won't.

I feel sorry for you.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 PM

103 posts, read 69,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Well, clearly you have it worse. You have a cold heart, and that is far, far worse than being homeless. Your brother has the chance and opportunity to pull his life together, but you will have a much harder time long term with a cold heart.

Yep, that dog. Good ol' dog...until it dies in a few years. Unfortunately, dogs have a relatively short life span - 10-15 years generally. And those dogs are SO GOOD at helping with things that need to be done too. I've been training mine to help me mow the lawn.

That dog will be there for you when you are 80 and....oh...wait.....no, it won't.

I feel sorry for you.
I don't know so much about him pulling his life together but I couldn't tell you because I don't talk to him he's on his own. My dog is only four months old so he's going to be with me for a while and when he dies I'll get another one. You can't do that with men and relationships so I fell sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships