Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times

Advertisements

In relationship stuff I think it's often an effort on a woman's part to establish that she's on roughly equal footing with a man. I understand why women say this, because lots of people don't believe women are on roughly equal footing with men.

I think some women inadvertently oversell this point, along the lines of what Chowhound said. At some point I'm going to wonder who she's trying to convince.

And then some women say it, often, to make a point. It can serve as a shield of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:07 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
2+ cats.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymackdaddy View Post
What does it mean when a woman claims to be strong and independent? Strong in what way? Independent in relation to what? Even men acknowledge that no man is an island, so I don't get what women think when they claim to be independent. No one is independent.

Also why do such women feel the need to broadcast to the world how strong and independent they think they are? Are they trying to convince themselves of it? Do they think the world cares? Are they trying to prove something? Does anyone notice whatever it is they're proving?

The reason I bring this up is because I see it so often on dating sites. "I'm strong, and independent, and men are intimidated and threatened by me". Intimidated and threatened by what exactly? What's so scary about these women? When they say that men are intimidated, I think what's really going on is that men are irritated. And when they say threatened, I think that means repulsed.

The ironic thing is that in real life I don't think I've met a woman who actually acts like that, except maybe once or twice. What is it about dating sites that makes people feel like they have to act like they're something special or something to be in awe of?
Nothing

Filled out by scam Did not you see god fearing??? next to it?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
And this is precisely why I lean on my friend. It's nice to have someone around who is willing to wear the pants for me so I can take a break from doing it.

At the same time, when you've been doing it most of your life, it's a really hard habit to break and I do have to be careful not to just automatically take charge.

I get your point. As a guy I have always been the pants wearer myself since I had to rely on myself even when I had someone. It's always good to share the 'pants wearing' but sometimes you get som used to it that you automatically switch to this mode, I get that.

But women who use the strong and independent all the time have some confidence issues. With a good man, you will never have to say that because he will treat you as his equal. Always made me wonder why some women have to always say it unless they are hooking up with men who don't treat them equal.

It is also a red flag for me. I have had my share of 'strong and independent' women who turned out to not really be and had daddy issues.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 AM

146 posts, read 91,938 times
No one is "threatened" by "strong independent women." It's literally the mental gymnastics they use to rationalize why most men can't stand being around them, but in writing.

There are women who are smart, successful, and off on their own that don't need to tell every person how strong and independent they are.

Then there are the women who would rather be men in character and attitude. These are the ones projecting how strong and independent they are. And when men don't call back after a long date of being grilled about his future ambitions, coarse language, and tales of how bad ass she is at the office, they just rationalize that he was threatened. Nah, you're personality is grating and annoying.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
What does it mean when a woman claims to be strong and independent?
It means she is low-maintenance.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:18 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Quote:
What does it mean when a woman claims to be strong and independent? Strong in what way? Independent in relation to what? Even men acknowledge that no man is an island, so I don't get what women think when they claim to be independent. No one is independent.

Also why do such women feel the need to broadcast to the world how strong and independent they think they are? Are they trying to convince themselves of it? Do they think the world cares? Are they trying to prove something? Does anyone notice whatever it is they're proving?

The reason I bring this up is because I see it so often on dating sites. "I'm strong, and independent, and men are intimidated and threatened by me". Intimidated and threatened by what exactly? What's so scary about these women? When they say that men are intimidated, I think what's really going on is that men are irritated. And when they say threatened, I think that means repulsed.

The ironic thing is that in real life I don't think I've met a woman who actually acts like that, except maybe once or twice. What is it about dating sites that makes people feel like they have to act like they're something special or something to be in awe of?
I would consider myself strong and indepent woman. I don't going around advertising it and just assume people can pick up on that. I do not see it as a bad thing. Hey I am totally proud that as a women or person in general I can take care of myself and do not really need to be dependent on anyone in a significant sense. That does not mean I do not like doing things with other people, but in reality if I want to do something or obtain something it is going to happen with or without someone else by my side. I think for some women like myself it may serve as a reminder that I am not really looking for someone to take care of me ... I want to be with someone that can enjoy life with me.

Also for me I would think it also reminds that I do not want to be attached at the hip to anyone ex. We do not need to do EVERYTHING together. I find in general people are not often that great at really describing what they want because sometimes we really do not know and it can change day by day. Also regarding the strong part ... it may also be a way to send out the do think I am going to let you push me around vibe or the I am not putting up with all the BS vibe. If you look at it this way it might just be a good things to know this in advance. If you are looking for someone to shut up and know their place... well then you probably would not want to go out with someone who describes themselves as strong and independent.

Basic example. Someone like me makes plans with you to go to an event, trip or concernt. You say you can't make it. That is okay... but I am still going anyways. If you are the type of person that would be upset if your partner went on vaction, to a night club, concert or event without you then this situation would not work that well.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It means she is low-maintenance.
Very true in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That does not mean I do not like doing things with other people, but in reality if I want to do something or obtain something it is going to happen with or without someone else by my side. I think for some women like myself it may serve as a reminder that I am not really looking for someone to take care of me ... I want to be with someone that can enjoy life with me.
Exactly. I wasted too much time not doing things because I didn't have someone to go with and didn't want to go alone. Now if I want to do something, I do it even if it means going it alone. Yeah, there are some things that would be much more fun to do with another and I don't want all my stories to be "remember when we...oh, wait I did that alone." Sadly, I am at that tipping point where I do feel too many of my adventures are being done solo. I want companionship - that's natural human behavior - but I'm capable of taking care of myself.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times
If you read strong and independent, it means prepare for battle.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detguest View Post
No one is "threatened" by "strong independent women." It's literally the mental gymnastics they use to rationalize why most men can't stand being around them, but in writing.

There are women who are smart, successful, and off on their own that don't need to tell every person how strong and independent they are.

Then there are the women who would rather be men in character and attitude. These are the ones projecting how strong and independent they are. And when men don't call back after a long date of being grilled about his future ambitions, coarse language, and tales of how bad ass she is at the office, they just rationalize that he was threatened. Nah, you're personality is grating and annoying.
Pretty much.

Then you have those who proclaim to be all strong and independent until CERTAIN dating situations are in front of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships