Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

So i've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years and things have been fab up until recently. Suddenly whenever we're getting intimate I start to feel nervous and uncomfortable. This has only happened in the last couple of months or so. He's fine still and will initiate things but if ever it comes to me doing something for him I can't, and I struggle to make the first move - even when it comes to just kissing. I'm so comfortable with him in every other aspect of the relationship, just not intimacy and I don't understand why. I love him and we have a great relationship, he's like my best friend as well as my boyfriend, but I don't know what's going on with this. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on why this has suddenly happened and what I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smme95 View Post
So i've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years and things have been fab up until recently. Suddenly whenever we're getting intimate I start to feel nervous and uncomfortable. This has only happened in the last couple of months or so. He's fine still and will initiate things but if ever it comes to me doing something for him I can't, and I struggle to make the first move - even when it comes to just kissing. I'm so comfortable with him in every other aspect of the relationship, just not intimacy and I don't understand why. I love him and we have a great relationship, he's like my best friend as well as my boyfriend, but I don't know what's going on with this. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on why this has suddenly happened and what I can do?
Are you telling us everything?

Is there another man ANYwhere in the picture, even in the back of your mind?

Any major changes in your life?

How old are you? Do you go to the doctor regularly?

Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,495 times
There's no other guys, I've never cheated.
We had some issues last year as we came to university and were obviously meeting a lot of new people and that was hard. Neither of us cheated but we fell out a lot. Since that we'd discussed everything and were back to normal, if not in a better place since July last year.
We're both 20.
I can't think of any major changes really.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
You don't have to have slept with someone else for it to affect your relationship.

Just thinking about someone else can mess you up, even temporarily.

Meeting new people can make you think of ***possibilities,*** subconsciously. And who knows what "falling out" actually means for you two. Not every LTR is meant to be.

Either way, you should go to the OB/GYN and get your hormones checked. 20 is a crazy time, and college is stressful. But pay attention to your body. It could be telling you that you're not ready to commit to this guy.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM

524 posts, read 521,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smme95 View Post
This is normal. It happens to most of us. That initial rush of intense feelings is a natural biological process that is intended to bring humans together to procreate. Relationships are unintended consequences of this evolutionary process. 2 out of every 3 relationships fail miserably because the odds are stacked against relationships.

The way you handle the loss of intimacy is by not blaming yourself or him.

Love means responsibility and a lifetime commitment to someone you really care about. 3 years is long enough time to know if you really care about him. Nothing else matters.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
You may have underlining issues from childhood that are surfacing.

Seek therapist to work through them.

Something with your boyfriend may have triggered something

Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM

27 posts, read 19,319 times
20 is so young to be in a permanent relationship!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM

674 posts, read 611,195 times
College can be a source of a lot of stress, and sometimes stuff like that can manifest itself when you're at your most vulnerable. Don't blame the guy, and certainly don't buy into the idea that a minor quirk with your body or hormones is a sign that you should turn your lifeupside down by dumping your lover.

If you are together for the long haul, then you'll go through all sorts of hormonal issues. Never let something pointless like termporary feelings take over your long-term decision making process for you. No matter which guy you stay with forever, you'll run into the same ups and downs. Don't overreact to bumps in the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships