Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times

Advertisements

Is he the GM or is a shift manager or department manager? Unless he's the GM he cant fire you. And unless he's the people department manager he shouldn't be doing the schedules/making your hours. Any fast food place will hire you due to your experience, so maybe try to find something else if it's not working out. And due to your living/income conditions you would more than likely get a free 2 year community college education. I applaud you for supporting your family, but you need to focus on yourself. Look into school, talk to someone, find a useful trade or two year degree and make life better for yourself. Your family is mostly made of grown adults (minus the kids) and need to start acting as such. You mentioned wanting to do hair or be a teacher, so go for it. I worked my way through college at mcdonald's as a manager. It's fine and all , but if you want more go out and get more. Focus on that and everything else will fall into place as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 04:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Is he the GM or is a shift manager or department manager? Unless he's the GM he cant fire you. And unless he's the people department manager he shouldn't be doing the schedules/making your hours. Any fast food place will hire you due to your experience, so maybe try to find something else if it's not working out. And due to your living/income conditions you would more than likely get a free 2 year community college education. I applaud you for supporting your family, but you need to focus on yourself. Look into school, talk to someone, find a useful trade or two year degree and make life better for yourself. Your family is mostly made of grown adults (minus the kids) and need to start acting as such. You mentioned wanting to do hair or be a teacher, so go for it. I worked my way through college at mcdonald's as a manager. It's fine and all , but if you want more go out and get more. Focus on that and everything else will fall into place as it should.
Agreed.

The guy is not going to fire you. The corporate world and I'm sure McDonalds trumps them all really frowns upon unlawful termination lawsuits and such, so your boss I'm sure has to go through a series of exhaustive and lengthy "progressive discipline" stages. The larger the corporation, generally larger the process, because they have deep pockets and lawyers are on the hunt for cases against them.

Same is the case for discrimination (I'm not even talking sexual). If the man is enforcing certain policies against you but not others on an equal playing field than you can claim discrimination.

The deck is stacked against your boss actually.

Just go to work and do your job. If he tells you to do something do it. If he abuses his position go to his higher ups.

I'm sure McDonalds has a grievance procedure for workers that believe that they're boss is discriminating against them. Use that process if needed. Then his boss will be evaluating him a little closer.

You should not feel the need to look for another job due to this. If he continues to act like he's been, you could always mention to the higher ups that you went on a date.

Trust me HE is in a lot worse position than you are right now.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Agreed.

The guy is not going to fire you. The corporate world and I'm sure McDonalds trumps them all really frowns upon unlawful termination lawsuits and such, so your boss I'm sure has to go through a series of exhaustive and lengthy "progressive discipline" stages. The larger the corporation, generally larger the process, because they have deep pockets and lawyers are on the hunt for cases against them.

Same is the case for discrimination (I'm not even talking sexual). If the man is enforcing certain policies against you but not others on an equal playing field than you can claim discrimination.

The deck is stacked against your boss actually.

Just go to work and do your job. If he tells you to do something do it. If he abuses his position go to his higher ups.

I'm sure McDonalds has a grievance procedure for workers that believe that they're boss is discriminating against them. Use that process if needed. Then his boss will be evaluating him a little closer.

You should not feel the need to look for another job due to this. If he continues to act like he's been, you could always mention to the higher ups that you went on a date.

Trust me HE is in a lot worse position than you are right now.
From the McDonald's employee handbook:
Quote:
Any employee who feels subjected to discrimination or harassment should immediately report it to the Shift Manager. You can also report your complaint to the Area Supervisor or Owner as an alternative.

McDonald's is a franchise. The local franchise owner has millions tied up investing in several or even dozens of restaurants. Everybody works for the franchise owner. Corporate audits the franchise. With something like this, I'm not sure you can predict how it would be handled.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
I have been nice about this, but I think I am going to remove the sugarcoating. You need to learn about delayed gratification. Having an immediate boyfriend right now is your immediate gratification.

Have you ever thought about possibly dating a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant, an engineer, etc.? You can, and you significantly improve your chances of doing so if you're a teacher, don't have a boyfriend, and single. There are women who are married to nice men and these women live in nice houses and drive nice cars and have loving and supportive husbands. Why can't that be you?

Because you need immediate gratification and you closed those doors by having boyfriends that beat you up. Because you paid your attention and focused your energy on some guy from work who's not interested in you as long term relationship. Because you're looking for love from some questionable online site and become quickly infatuated with some random guy.

You open the door to one guy, you close the doors to others, including the nice accountant whom you could have date and marry. Right now, you're young and have the time and opportunity to work on yourself, whether's it's pursuing education like you said you wanted, or concentrating on how to become an assistant manager at your current job, or how to get that job that you want. What skills do you have to gain to get there and what steps do you need to take? One step at a time. Concentrate on the next step. One you get to that step, focus on the next step. You'll be amazed how many doors open to you once you have a decent job. You'll be exposed to people you don't get to meet right now.

I hope you look for long term benefits and not focus on what you want now.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Nice to get that out of my chest. With that being said, I would like to say that it's very admirable and honorable thing that you're so young and supporting so many people already by providing them food on the table, etc.

I am certain that you would qualify for food card from the Government. These programs are specifically created for people like you, your mom, sister and the kids at your home.

Can posters here point her to the right direction (website, etc.) to apply for food assistance? With so many mouths to feed, you could potentially qualify for hundreds of dollars per month.

If you can't find assistance here, I strongly suggest that you post about your situation and ask for help on the North Carolina forum on this site on how to apply. Some one can and will help you.

Part of working on yourself is take care of yourself and that include eating right.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Nice to get that out of my chest. With that being said, I would like to say that it's very admirable and honorable thing that you're so young and supporting so many people already by providing them food on the table, etc.

I am certain that you would qualify for food card from the Government. These programs are specifically created for people like you, your mom, sister and the kids at your home.

Can posters here point her to the right direction (website, etc.) to apply for food assistance? With so many mouths to feed, you could potentially qualify for hundreds of dollars per month.

If you can't find assistance here, I strongly suggest that you post about your situation and ask for help on the North Carolina forum on this site on how to apply. Some one can and will help you.

Part of working on yourself is take care of yourself and that include eating right.
Well my mom and sister get assistance but they dont exactly use it for food... They trade. Not my money ßo I can't say anything. Plus I get some food help from my church sometimes

Thanks for all you're advice and I appreciate your honesty but tbh I dont know any accountants or lawyers or anybody like that who would date me. I dont think I would have much in common so I can't blame them. Plus dont doctors and lawyers kind of marry their own?

I dont know why I am obsessed with having a boyfriend or husband. Its just something I have always wanted as far back as I can remember. I have always wanted a family and to be a mom. I think I would be good at it. I have made mistakes like when I lived with my first boyfriend before marriage but I have owned up to my mistakes and I try to make myself a better person and I think I deserve a chance at love. I wod love to find the right guy and make him happy I get really lonely. Im not close to my mom or sister and I dont really have friends I just want a connection so bad. Everyone else can have it so why not me you know?

Even though my last bf beat me some times (and this will sound crazy) I wonder if putting up with that is better then being this alone. I KNOW that's not true and wrong to think but thats where my mind goes some times :/ but I also know that is just the lonelyness talking

Last edited by belle woods; 02-03-2016 at 12:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 11:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From the McDonald's employee handbook:

McDonald's is a franchise. The local franchise owner has millions tied up investing in several or even dozens of restaurants. Everybody works for the franchise owner. Corporate audits the franchise. With something like this, I'm not sure you can predict how it would be handled.
Yeah Im not going to mess with any of that. I don't want to cause any trouble. My job had always been good to me.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I have been nice about this, but I think I am going to remove the sugarcoating. You need to learn about delayed gratification. Having an immediate boyfriend right now is your immediate gratification.

Have you ever thought about possibly dating a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant, an engineer, etc.? You can, and you significantly improve your chances of doing so if you're a teacher, don't have a boyfriend, and single. There are women who are married to nice men and these women live in nice houses and drive nice cars and have loving and supportive husbands. Why can't that be you?

Because you need immediate gratification and you closed those doors by having boyfriends that beat you up. Because you paid your attention and focused your energy on some guy from work who's not interested in you as long term relationship. Because you're looking for love from some questionable online site and become quickly infatuated with some random guy.

You open the door to one guy, you close the doors to others, including the nice accountant whom you could have date and marry. Right now, you're young and have the time and opportunity to work on yourself, whether's it's pursuing education like you said you wanted, or concentrating on how to become an assistant manager at your current job, or how to get that job that you want. What skills do you have to gain to get there and what steps do you need to take? One step at a time. Concentrate on the next step. One you get to that step, focus on the next step. You'll be amazed how many doors open to you once you have a decent job. You'll be exposed to people you don't get to meet right now.

I hope you look for long term benefits and not focus on what you want now.
This is excellent advice. I'm going to forward it to a feckless relative of mine.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 AM

In addition to whatever your family members get, they should also qualified for food stamps. They kids need it. The food stamps (I think they are like credit card now), can only be used to purchase food at stores. Please look into them.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Well my mom and sister get assistance but they dont exactly use it for food... They trade. Not my money ßo I can't say anything. Plus I get some food help from my church sometimes

Thanks for all you're advice and I appreciate your honesty but tbh I dont know any accountants or lawyers or anybody like that who would date me. I dont think I would have much in common so I can't blame them. Plus dont doctors and lawyers kind of marry their own?

I dont know why I am obsessed with having a boyfriend or husband. Its just something I have always wanted as far back as I can remember. I have always wanted a family and to be a mom. I think I would be good at it. I have made mistakes like when I lived with my first boyfriend before marriage but I have owned up to my mistakes and I try to make myself a better person and I think I deserve a chance at love. I wod love to find the right guy and make him happy I get really lonely. Im not close to my mom or sister and I dont really have friends I just want a connection so bad. Everyone else can have it so why not me you know?

Even though my last bf beat me some times (and this will sound crazy) I wonder if putting up with that is better then being this alone. I KNOW that's not true and wrong to think but thats where my mind goes some times :/ but I also know that is just the lonelyness talking
Daisy, if you're gonna stay at that job, I understand why you would make that choice.

You have to understand, though, that if you want your situation to be better, you have to be very careful to make smart choices.

So if you REALLY want a connection with a quality guy, you can't mess around with the manager at your fast-food job. Any time you find yourself tempted, you can remember the terrible date and the way he has treated you and stop yourself from flirting.

Loneliness is temporary, and the very last thing you need is to get pregnant accidentally by some random guy off the internet. You know very well how horrible it would be to try to bring a baby into your house now, with everyone else there and what is going on. Then you wouldn't be able to work like before and support yourself, and you would need assistance. You'd have to leave the baby with folks who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should.

It may sound stupid, but try to focus on showing some love to yourself right now instead of looking around and trying to get it from ... just anyone.

We can't choose our parents, and sometimes as adults we have to give ourselves the love we should have gotten from them to get through hard times. So when you feel lonely and want to reach out to some guy online, think about the younger version of yourself who needed guidance and good advice. Make a goal for yourself of what you want your life to be like, and keep your mind on that goal instead of the "get a BF" goal so that younger version of you can live a nice life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships