Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

What makes certain people never viewed as marriage material?

I have been big in this dating with a purpose.. My purpose is marriage. Do you ever date someone and think this is fun for awhile, but I do not want marriage or a future?

What makes you feel this way? Do you ever change your mind later on?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 AM

35 posts, read 43,583 times
There are many reasons why a person would be considered not marriage material; different people have different criteria when choosing a partner. Religion, education, background, race, interests, personality..etc all play a role when choosing a mate. Dating is a way to test the waters to see if a person matches what you're looking for in a spouse (for most people anyway...some people date just to get laid).

Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
What makes certain people never viewed as marriage material?
Desperation, negativity, among other things

Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
No one is marriage material for me. I don't want to be anybody's wife, and I probably never should have done it in the first place. Or rather I guess...I'm not really marriage material. It doesn't matter. I don't see that as inferiority....I have things I want to accomplish in my life that don't have much to do with a white picket fence and grandkids and meatloaf on Thursdays. Seems to me as a woman that once you get married, your hopes and dreams take a big back seat to serving the needs of husband and kids, and good luck getting any support for your personal goals or being able to put your energy into them. Unless the white picket fence IS your hopes/dreams, in which case hey...go for it.

I gave this dynamic way too much of my life already. I'm happy that I raised (thus far) two very awesome boys who are smart and know right from wrong and will hopefully lead fantastic lives. But I've got stuff to do in the future and I'll be best doing it independently, with only voluntary relationships with other independent people along the way. Some of us aren't marriage material because we don't WANT to be.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
No one is marriage material for me. I don't want to be anybody's wife, and I probably never should have done it in the first place. Or rather I guess...I'm not really marriage material. It doesn't matter. I don't see that as inferiority....I have things I want to accomplish in my life that don't have much to do with a white picket fence and grandkids and meatloaf on Thursdays. Seems to me as a woman that once you get married, your hopes and dreams take a big back seat to serving the needs of husband and kids, and good luck getting any support for your personal goals or being able to put your energy into them. Unless the white picket fence IS your hopes/dreams, in which case hey...go for it.

I gave this dynamic way too much of my life already. I'm happy that I raised (thus far) two very awesome boys who are smart and know right from wrong and will hopefully lead fantastic lives. But I've got stuff to do in the future and I'll be best doing it independently, with only voluntary relationships with other independent people along the way. Some of us aren't marriage material because we don't WANT to be.

I think the biggest reason I personally struggle with being single, and not marriage material is because my hopes/dreams was to be a wife to my best friend. I never wanted a career and my home is my biggest hobby.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Is this going to be yet another one of your **** show threads? Haven't these issues been addressed enough?

Not yet.

OP, at the crazy risk of you actually responding to me, have you ever, ONCE sat down and made out a list NOT about all the things which are wrong with men because they don't live up to your freakish and unrealistic standards since you're an absolute gem (seriously, just ASK you!), but a list of what you would actually WANT in a man? In some degree of thoughtful and potentially meritorious detail?

And if so... would you be willing to share that list with us?

I'm going to Hell, I just know it...

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Not yet.

OP, at the crazy risk of you actually responding to me, have you ever, ONCE sat down and made out a list NOT about all the things which are wrong with men because they don't live up to your freakish and unrealistic standards since you're an absolute gem (seriously, just ASK you!), but a list of what you would actually WANT in a man? In some degree of thoughtful and potentially meritorious detail?

And if so...

would you be willing to share that list with know it...

We have already done that.

What I want and what I attract are vastly different. And I am no longer trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
I have accepted that the vast number of guys that want me are losers, and just need something from me for a limited time period.

My boyfriend is everything I would want in a husband, except for the fact he is not interested in moving in with me or sleeping over every night. So we can assume marriage is not his goal. He is content being self sufficient in his own home.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Well, if I weren't married, anyone who constantly repeats themselves or beats a dead horse/doesn't know when to QUIT because they can't grok the concept of "Nobody wants to hear it yet AGAIN" is certainly not marriage material!

But that's just me - I have a pretty low tolerance for "bovine waste" so to speak.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I think the biggest reason I personally struggle with being single, and not marriage material is because my hopes/dreams was to be a wife to my best friend. I never wanted a career and my home is my biggest hobby.
So you're looking to marry a bank account.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So you're looking to marry a bank account.
No not at all. I have never dated a man that had more money in the bank then I do. Actually quite the opposite. I have had my fair share of unemployed, and homeless men. This is where I was needed and not actually being wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships