Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:11 PM

282 posts, read 236,274 times

Advertisements

Matters by what you define by fashion. Because I've seen what modern fashion is about and it's just terrible.

A woman on a first date that's not in a dress/skirt pretty much kills it for me. I'll write it off if she's otherwise great and ask her to dress up for a date next time. But to answer your question, yes, it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
A guy either dresses well or he doesn't.

My last squeeze dressed well.

It doesn't matter if its jeans and a tshirt or a suit or boardshorts and a singlet; second hand or brand new

If you've got style and taste it shows. If you have none, that shows too.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Depends so much on your approach to dating, the venue, and so on.

-If you have the attitude that you have many options and want someone who will really appreciate YOU for who YOU are...then dress in ways you find comfortable and indicative of your style.

-If you are more trying to bend yourself to impress your date in the hopes of succeeding in keeping their interest and going forward in the relationship, then you had better gauge their tastes and dress appropriately. (I don't really recommend this.)

I have options. I need someone to accept me for who I am, and I'm kind of quirky and weird. I wear my boots, and underneath I've got brightly striped socks, I wear old Tripp pants with just enough hardware on 'em to be a bit unusual, not crazy baggy and not skinny (the kind they don't really sell anymore, and I have just been lucky to find on Ebay) and I take off the stupid straps. So they are basically just black pants with a few D-rings. And the ubiquitous GWAR t-shirt...why?...because that is my thing, because I like to talk about the band, because it makes me in my comfort zone and more friendly and less nervous.

Is that going to appeal to most/all men? Probably not, if they had to decide what their date would show up wearing. I'm not very feminine/girly. Oh, well. If a man is looking for that, he's never going to like me, and I can only change so much.

However, I am VERY capable of going "elegant lady" if the occasion demands it. So if a man invited me to a symphony, I'd be able to step up no problem.

As for men...I really don't like the rap or country style genres. A date would lose points with me for a cowboy hat, but saggy pants and a "Tap Out" shirt would really put me off. Other than that, not in grubby clothes or sweats...? Dressed more or less appropriately to the occasion? I also don't care for pretentiousness, so there is such a thing as overdoing it, and as someone who has circulated in the goth scene a bit...that's what I'm thinking when I say that.

I know all of that sounds pretty high school, and I'm 37 freaking years old, but there are grown adults who still certainly run around dressed like cowboys, gangstas, and goths, among other things, so it is still relevant. Some styles will tell me that our interests will never be compatible, just as my style would indicate that to some men.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
I dress real nice most of the time, so I expect the same from a woman I'm dating.

When I'm not dressing real nice, I'm wearing workout shirts, tanks, snapbacks, joggers, sweats, tights, etc., so I find it very attractive when a woman wears items like that. That more than likely means she exercises a lot.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
I date a person....not their clothes.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
When I'm out running errands, typically its T-shirt and jeans. I get a lot of compliments, that I don't give a about, from women about when I'm at work and wear my suits or my dress clothes at clubs.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:14 PM
m75

5 posts, read 3,522 times
Yes, how they dress certainly helps. I girl I was seeing one time pulled up to my house in a pink fuzzy sweater and pink uggs...she's 23.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:45 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I've dated very few men who have "good fashion sense." Like, only one SO dressed more business casual a la Banana Republic.

My husband lives in t-shirts, hoodies, cargo pants/shorts, and flip flops.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:56 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I've never been one to focus on clothing as long as the don't look like trash....

I like casual and down to earth but I think it is more important to me that it reflects their personality.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Entirely agree.

I make more than reasonable efforts to look good and be well-assembled at all times, simply because it reflects who/what I am. I look for, expect and appreciate the same in any woman I would date.

Fashion is very subjective and changes constantly, however, Style is timeless. In women I definitely like elegant simplicity, whether dressy or casual. For example, she can never go wrong with an Herve Leger-type dress, complementary shoes, and and elegant evening clutch for a night out. But I still like a touch of formality when she is casual, e.g., fitted jeans, complementary top and Louboutin 'Pigale' python pumps would be awesome -- even if I had to pay for them.

I see a lot of attractive women who make themselves less-so by how they dress. It makes me wonder, "If they are so uncaring and sloppy with themselves, how would they be with me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
It used to not be something that matters but now I admit it matters a lot. Physical presentation reflects the way a person feels about themselves. A person that does not put effort into presenting themselves as nicely as they can generally are not to keen about themselves. So in general a man that does not look presentable is not viewed as attractive to me.

Im into fashion, and put a lot of effort into conveying my unique self with my style. So of course I also prefer man that use their outfits and general styles to represent their personality and lifestyle.

I like men that are confident, laid back, very masculine, strong and are trendy/cool but not over the top. So when it comes to everyday where I like a man in a nice pair of denim, with a nice shirt that fits where he is going(somewhere laid back a tee is fine, somewhere slightly nicer a button up, or nice sweater shirt, and timbs. There something about timbs lol-perhaps the cool swagger.

I like a man that can pull of chinos and a nice shirt and nice leather shoes if we go out somewhere, a man that can rock a nice suit when need be, and a man that can throw on clean current gym shoes(not gym shoes from years ago that aren't in) and a nice sweat suit if we're going on a walk. I like men that like and collect sneakers(admit it's a weird quirk that I like lol). I also like when a man wears a nice SnapBack hat that coordinates nicely with what he's wearing if he's a hat type of guy.

So yes based on all of the above I tend to really pay attention to certain styles and looks and I love men that don't just have one style or look, but for the most part i like the denim jeans, nice shirt, and timbs look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships