Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:57 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Yeah I've been pretty sheltered most of my life. I wanted to travel abroad and study out of state but my mom kept me home during college and wouldn't even let me live in the dorms. I'm in my late twenties and my parents still try and guilt trip me into moving back to the same city as them. They wouldn't mind if I still live with them even. It's like they don't want me and my sibs to grow up. I don't watch TV so I feel like I live under a rock pretty much. What I have seen of life is probably still that of a high schooler. I'm still pretty naive. I also tend to go after or attract hot white guys with commitment issues. My life feels very much Sex in the Cityesque without the girlfriends. Sometimes I even feel like one of the guys I date. I'm trying to find a way to grow out of this. I thought about joining the military last weekend. Traveling and working abroad maybe. Maybe flight attendant. Peace Corps even. I don't know. Any suggestions ol wise one?
This makes a lot of sense now. You definitely need to get out there and figure out more about who you are. I would NOT advocate joining the military in order to do this. I know I'm going to catch hell from conservative CD members for saying that, but while I do think military training can show you what you are physically capable of, I don't think it's a good way to "find yourself." You won't know who you actually are in the end; you'll know who your military leaders wanted you to become. I believe the military should be for people who genuinely want to defend their country, not for those who don't have direction. Peace Corps may be a better bet, or even just joining a trip to a third world country for a few weeks to help out.

Therapy is a good idea. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with the Sex in the City thing, especially so young, or going out with hot guys of any race, but if you aren't figuring out how to relate people, then that's a key piece you are missing. You need to learn how to relate to people before you can really have a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
This makes a lot of sense now. You definitely need to get out there and figure out more about who you are. I would NOT advocate joining the military in order to do this. I know I'm going to catch hell from conservative CD members for saying that, but while I do think military training can show you what you are physically capable of, I don't think it's a good way to "find yourself." You won't know who you actually are in the end; you'll know who your military leaders wanted you to become. I believe the military should be for people who genuinely want to defend their country, not for those who don't have direction. Peace Corps may be a better bet, or even just joining a trip to a third world country for a few weeks to help out.

Therapy is a good idea. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with the Sex in the City thing, especially so young, or going out with hot guys of any race, but if you aren't figuring out how to relate people, then that's a key piece you are missing. You need to learn how to relate to people before you can really have a relationship.
I also don't know how to communicate with people on what I want and being honest about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships