Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Agree. College really isn't an optional thing nowadays. I haven't worked anyplace that would hire a receptionist without at least a bachelors in a decade.
Yet the majority of Americans do not have a 4-year degree. And truthfully, many jobs should not require a specif degree of any kind in order to perform the job duties of those jobs. On-the-job training is where many people learn the particulars of how to do a job. But many employers demand a degree (any degree) simply as a weeding out tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 967 times
I would, totally, but I'm a guy, so maybe the standards are different?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM

854 posts, read 585,726 times
I don't make any value judgments about people (men) who work minimum-wage jobs. I just filtered them out because at some point, if a relationship gets serious, I would expect him to pay half the rent and I can't see that happening on such a low income.

Also, right from the get-go he's going to need some discretionary income for going on (cheap) dates, and if you're on minimum wage, I don't see where you would find that money.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Yet the majority of Americans do not have a 4-year degree. And truthfully, many jobs should not require a specif degree of any kind in order to perform the job duties of those jobs. On-the-job training is where many people learn the particulars of how to do a job. But many employers demand a degree (any degree) simply as a weeding out tool.

I did a Cortana search and only 30 percent of Americans over 25 hold a bachelors degree. So I'm not so sure that companies are requiring receptionist to have a BA as job requirement.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM

930 posts, read 700,201 times
Truth be told, and this may be unpopular, probably not. In most cases, I am likely not hanging around people who make minimum wage. If it's a temporary layover while they are lining something up more in line with their skill set, that's one exception. However, I am not hanging out with many people who make minimum wage. People tend to associate with people who are most like them. I hang out with other college educated professional types who have ambition. These types of people are not typically making minimum wage.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
Truth be told, and this may be unpopular, probably not. In most cases, I am likely not hanging around people who make minimum wage. If it's a temporary layover while they are lining something up more in line with their skill set, that's one exception. However, I am not hanging out with many people who make minimum wage. People tend to associate people who are most like them. I hang out with other college educated professional types who have ambition. These types of people are not typically making minimum wage.
Yeah, I agree, like to tends to hang with like. I don't have a large circle of friends and family but everyone I do know either makes really pretty good money and are educated. I typically think of min wage jobs as jobs for teens, college kids or perhaps retirees looking to stay busy.

I never get these people demanding that burger flippers and the like to be making 15 bucks an hour, I means it's sort of ballsy and a silly entitlement mentality that seems to be so pervasive now. Heck, it's how Sanders is so popular, you start blathering on about free this or free that and you get'm lining up, that 's for sure. Bottom line if you don't like your lot in life, go get some job training that pays a better wage, it's how the world works people. There's still opportunities out there for people that have some ambition.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,939 times
It would be very interesting to see some of you high earners get knocked off your high horse and lose your precious jobs and be forced to take minimum wage and see how the other half lives.
Some of you have egos as tall as the Eiffel Tower and seriously lack empathy.

Just remember, nothing is secure. Job security is an illusion. You can lose it at any time.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Only if we were both under 25*, or if s/he were retired, or if the job was a second or third job, or if the person was almost independently wealthy and just needed a little extra.

By the time a person is 25, I think s/he should be self-supporting (beyond minimum wage, I mean) and well on the way to establishing a career/skilled trade. If not, I think the person is in danger of becoming a taker, either from a S.O. or through government assistance, or both.

*(However, if s/he were going for an advanced degree of some kind in a practical career field such as medicine, I would extend the age limit to allow for that.)

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post

Yup, true and true, but what "should be" and what are aren't the same, and I like to prepare for reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I did a Cortana search and only 30 percent of Americans over 25 hold a bachelors degree. So I'm not so sure that companies are requiring receptionist to have a BA as job requirement.

I'm talking about the places I've worked, which are professional places. Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of places that don't, but I haven't worked at them. But living and working in some place like Boston or SF, or even Chicago, is different than Topeka or Kansas City.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:36 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post

Just remember, nothing is secure. Job security is an illusion. You can lose it at any time.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships