Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
It would be very interesting to see some of you high earners get knocked off your high horse and lose your precious jobs and be forced to take minimum wage and see how the other half lives.
Some of you have egos as tall as the Eiffel Tower and seriously lack empathy.

Just remember, nothing is secure. Job security is an illusion. You can lose it at any time.
Been there done that.... 2 years unemployed. Almost lost my home. Most of my friends are low income earners and I know what it is like (I'm one of the few fortunate ones in my circle). Despite limited options, even they still manage to pull more than minimum and support themselves.

However, what many people here are posting is that it isn't that they are making minimum wage. It is why they are making minimum wage and what are their plans for the future. The hypothetical "high earner" might loose their job and work low wages for a while, but they certainly don't plan on staying there very long.

This is also about relationships and dating. If a person isn't attracted to a particular demographic, you can't force them to suddenly "like" or be "attracted" to them. It isn't like posters here are saying that they would actively discriminate against career minimum wage earners, they just simply wouldn't feel attracted to them as a potential life partner. Call it prejudice if you wish but human nature is exactly that when it comes to finding a mate.... it is still individual preference.

Many of my newer acquaintances/friends from the office really don't know how the other half lives. I sometimes have to bite my tongue on particular lunch time topics. So That... I do agree.

PS> When I was unemployed for 2 years, my wife (she earns a fraction of what I make) still was capable of doing her part to float our expenses on her own. Certainly, not something a minimum wager can pull off easily. So yes... job security is never guaranteed but a spouse who is capable of doing better than minimum wage is certainly someone who offers a bit more financial security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
It would be very interesting to see some of you high earners get knocked off your high horse and lose your precious jobs and be forced to take minimum wage and see how the other half lives.
Having empathy and feeling for the people who have not had the same opportunities I have had is not the same thing as wanting to date them. That was explained up thread. Lots of bitter people seem to want to ignore that stuff.

Quote:
Just remember, nothing is secure. Job security is an illusion. You can lose it at any time.
Absolutely nothing is secure. Which is why smart people plan. I could lose my job today (unlikely since the company's investment in the development of this location is part of why I accepted it). And if I did, I would have 3 places just in my smallish city I could flip to. In the nearby big cities, the opportunities would be endless. And if not, our savings would keep us in place for quite some time.

What do people do? Get a job, sit and hope the ax doesn't fall? I'm on a "high horse" because I spent my 30 working years developing invaluable skills to the workplace? Because I bought a modest house in the suburbs instead of one of the McMansions that banks promised me I could afford with a variable rate mortgage? All of these people who "suddenly" lost their homes because their rates went through the roof, how could they NOT KNOW that if the bank tells you that you have no control over your interest rate that you have no control over your interest rate? And the news media helps them whine about "the economy". I do grant that the bank's practices were predatory on the clueless and will grant that protection from that would be a decent bit of legislation.

So yah, I have worked hard and been smart. I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to get an education when I was young. Do I feel grateful for the minimu wage job I had to help pay for that education? absolutely. I have made enough money to advance my education over the years. Do I feel the slightest bit BAD about this? Hells no. Do I feel un-empathetic? Given the amount of anti-poverty charity work and advocacy work I do, I think f you to that sentiment pretty much sums it up.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:

I'm not a high earner and neither is my partner. We both earn almost dead-on the median for 25-34-year-olds in our city. I've been laid off before, and had to go on unemployment insurance. I spent every waking moment of that time actively looking for better employment, and did even use up the whole year I was entitled to. Getting laid off is actually an opportunity - to leverage your job experience to get a better-paying job.

I am far from a snob. My bf did not go to college and I did not hold that against him when we met. He also paid his dues and toiled for 4 years at low wages so he could show on his resume that he's reliable and wouldn't have to work for that little again. It's not my responsibility to carry someone who does not do whatever is necessary to not make minimum wage.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times
Quote:

In my post, I elaborated that if it was a temporary situation, such as due to a job loss, that I would far more tolerant of it. When I posted, I had in mind those individuals who hop around from one minimum wage job to the next with little ambition to move up and improve their lives.

I agree with you that no job is guaranteed and that there should be some empathy towards those situations. However, I doubt I'd have very little in common with most people who are a long term minimum wage worker.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Having empathy and feeling for the people who have not had the same opportunities I have had is not the same thing as wanting to date them. That was explained up thread. Lots of bitter people seem to want to ignore that stuff.

Absolutely nothing is secure. Which is why smart people plan. I could lose my job today (unlikely since the company's investment in the development of this location is part of why I accepted it). And if I did, I would have 3 places just in my smallish city I could flip to. In the nearby big cities, the opportunities would be endless. And if not, our savings would keep us in place for quite some time.

What do people do? Get a job, sit and hope the ax doesn't fall? I'm on a "high horse" because I spent my 30 working years developing invaluable skills to the workplace? Because I bought a modest house in the suburbs instead of one of the McMansions that banks promised me I could afford with a variable rate mortgage? All of these people who "suddenly" lost their homes because their rates went through the roof, how could they NOT KNOW that if the bank tells you that you have no control over your interest rate that you have no control over your interest rate? And the news media helps them whine about "the economy". I do grant that the bank's practices were predatory on the clueless and will grant that protection from that would be a decent bit of legislation.

So yah, I have worked hard and been smart. I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to get an education when I was young. Do I feel grateful for the minimu wage job I had to help pay for that education? absolutely. I have made enough money to advance my education over the years. Do I feel the slightest bit BAD about this? Hells no. Do I feel un-empathetic? Given the amount of anti-poverty charity work and advocacy work I do, I think f you to that sentiment pretty much sums it up.
With all due respect, this comes across as a tad bit arrogant. I think the poster you're responding to may have overreacted a bit, but I think it was due to some misunderstanding. Anyone can lose it all, even with a lot of planning. The Great Recession is a pretty accurate illustration of that. But the point of the matter is that smart, ambitious people will pick themselves up and find the next opportunity eventually, even if that entails a short layover at a minimum wage job. When I was back in Michigan during the Great Recession, there was a professor working at Best Buy with my buddy. Failure can happen to anybody. It's how you react to failure that's important, particularly in this case. I would never hold it against someone if they were temporarily out of work and had to take a minimum wage job to get by. It's those people who ONLY hop around from one minimum wage job to another that I think I would have very little in common with, and therefore would not want to date.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I agree, like to tends to hang with like. I don't have a large circle of friends and family but everyone I do know either makes really pretty good money and are educated. I typically think of min wage jobs as jobs for teens, college kids or perhaps retirees looking to stay busy.

I never get these people demanding that burger flippers and the like to be making 15 bucks an hour, I means it's sort of ballsy and a silly entitlement mentality that seems to be so pervasive now. Heck, it's how Sanders is so popular, you start blathering on about free this or free that and you get'm lining up, that 's for sure. Bottom line if you don't like your lot in life, go get some job training that pays a better wage, it's how the world works people. There's still opportunities out there for people that have some ambition.

Burger flippers are learning this from their landlords who are now demanding $1200 per month.

Entitlement mentality is contagious.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
With all due respect, this comes across as a tad bit arrogant.
I find myself irritated by the VAST number of men on this site who think they are owed dates. When women don't give it up, they are

- lacking in empathy
- on a high horse

And whatever other vitriol they like to sling. And while we are at it, who uses EMPATHY to choose someone to date? Empathy grows as the relationship grows. But no one chooses their mate from options based on empathy.

It does not matter how you explain it. Call that arrogant.

Quote:
I think the poster you're responding to may have overreacted a bit, but I think it was due to some misunderstanding. Anyone can lose it all, even with a lot of planning. The Great Recession is a pretty accurate illustration of that.
Meh I would say yes... and no. I think it is wrong to blame the banks entirely for the mortgage bubble burst, as I mentioned. And we would have to be revisionist historians not to recall Greenspan's caution about irrational exuberance. The truth is that life is determined among many factors. And among the factors that influence our worlds, chance is one of them. But so are we. People who were hammered by the mortgage bubble burst took out those mortgages. The banks were bailed out. etc..

Quote:

But the point of the matter is that smart, ambitious people will pick themselves up and find the next opportunity eventually, even if that entails a short layover at a minimum wage job.
What difference does it make if smart people do smart things at different stages of their life? Why is one more laudable than an other? Because it does not make someone who is less smart feel all bad about themselves?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I find myself irritated by the VAST number of men on this site who think they are owed dates. When women don't give it up, they are

- lacking in empathy
- on a high horse
I didn't realize this thread was about either men or women specifically. If you want to get technical, the OP's call for empathy would likely benefit women more anyway, since they allegedly make $.77 for ever $1 a man makes (in the US anyhow). Additionally, the poster that both you and I responded to made no claims of being either a male or female. That said, I didn't really take this thread to be about either gender feeling entitled to anything. I read it as a call for empathy for those going through a rough patch in their financial lives, which is fair. I don't hold it against someone who's in between jobs, and making due with a minimum wage job until they get back on their feet.

FWIW, for every man on here expressing his entitlement to a date or sex, there's a woman expressing her entitlement for a man with X income, who has Y assets, and has well-defined physical features. Not one gender has a monopoly on the sentiments of entitlement with regards to a romantic relationship. Both are equally as guilty.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I didn't realize this thread was about either men or women specifically. If you want to get technical, the OP's call for empathy would likely benefit women more anyway, since they allegedly make $.77 for ever $1 a man makes (in the US anyhow). Additionally, the poster that both you and I responded to made no claims of being either a male or female. That said, I didn't really take this thread to be about either gender feeling entitled to anything. I read it as a call for empathy for those going through a rough patch in their financial lives, which is fair. I don't hold it against someone who's in between jobs, and making due with a minimum wage job until they get back on their feet.
Empathy is always wonderful. Empathy is not a characteristic on which to base someone to chose to date. The post was about choosing dates.
Quote:
FWIW, for every man on here expressing his entitlement to a date or sex, there's a woman expressing her entitlement for a man with X income, who has Y assets, and has well-defined physical features. Not one gender has a monopoly on the sentiments of entitlement with regards to a romantic relationship. Both are equally as guilty.
They I have no sympathy, empathy or any athy for.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Burger flippers are learning this from their landlords who are now demanding $1200 per month.

Entitlement mentality is contagious.

Or the companies that demand 2 years of experience for an apparent entry-level position. Yeah but only the workers are entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships