Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It really depends on what age. An 18 year old who is working to pay for an education, or just starting out working their way up the ladder? Sure. I can answer no that I would not date this person because I am too old. Have been there and done that. And it would be dumb. They would not date me either.

That said, there is an age where if you have not moved beyond minimum wage as a regular means of earning, it does reflect on your ambition.

Certainly not MORALLY inferior. But depending on ones place in life, it can have a lot to say.
Your beliefs are not universal though. They are, of course, valid and real for you (and for likeminded people), but they in no way represent the rest of the world, or even the rest of the country, or even a particular state or city. Many people would negatively evaluate a low-wage worker and make assumptions about said worker's lack of ambition, but many people would not.

And being preoccupied with social status and using financial prowess as a main determiner of a person's ambition or respectability might say a lot about the superficiality of the person doing the judging.

And maybe that's ok. But the point is the world is huge and filled with diverse people, so it makes sense that we all have different opinions and beliefs about a variety of things. And nobody has a lock on being right.

Last edited by AnthonyJ34; 02-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
What does your personal experience have to do with the topic at hand? Your experiences and beliefs are relevant to you, but that's where the relevance ends.

Working a job shows ambition, at least as defined by a large segment of the modern world. Adhering to a job schedule, performing the work required, and maintaining that employment long-term would probably be considered 'ambitious'
I think it depends on one's definition of "ambitious". What you describe as "ambitious", I would define as "responsible", which although praiseworthy, is not the same as ambitious, I think.

In my opinion, being ambitious means wanting more than what one already has. There are plenty of people who are content to just pay their bills, not break any laws and have a good family and/or social life; and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. (In fact, I would much rather be married to a good solid electrician or insurance agent, for example, making $50-75k a year than I would a Donald Trump type! In fact, come to think of it, I would rather be married to a good guy making minimum wage than I would a politician or an unscrupulous CEO.)

P.S. Personally, I do think that one's personal stories on these kinds of threads ARE relevant because sometimes stories are better illustrators than just offering opinions.

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
But people here (many of them) are doing the same thing in regards to minimum-wage workers: negatively evaluating them and making all sorts of negative assumptions about them, even though nobody here knows anything about many of those people -- their personal backgrounds, stories, challenges, issues, etc.

They see a low-wage worker and start negatively assuming and judging.
People judge each other on everything, so salary probably isn't any different.

I used to be more driven with work, I used to actually care about the status of work and my job etc etc etc. I've since got to the point that I just don't give a rip anymore, work doesn't define me like it used to. I think some people never get to that point, they self identify through work, men are particularly bad at doing it.

Money isn't important to me, having enough to live the basic lifestyle I want is what I care about, and while my situation and wants are modest, minimum wage work, especially here in So Cal isn't gonna cut it. I've always made good money, I'm actually looking for a job in a similar field but I'll probably be taking a 15 percent or so pay cut to be able to do it, so long story short whatever works for some, might no work for others.

Working full time here making minimum wage means roommates, having to use public transport, which sucks here btw, and being broke as hell all of the time.

Not appealing to me. If that makes me a snob, I guess I'm a snob.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is "unambitious" because it is opposite of the definition of "ambition".

This isn't a value judgement. It is an issue of using words correctly.
Yah you know someone could value, for instance, activism. Maybe environmentalism. Or social justice. I am not an activist on certain issues. So if someone asked me, are you an environmentalist, and I said, well I donate some money a couple times a year. Couldn't that be said to be an environmentalist? No. That is not an environmentalist. Is that a BAD thing? No. It is not a value judgement. It is just using language to mean what it means.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
No, I would not date a person working for minimum wage unless this was back in my high school days

people that work for minimum wage have no business to be in a serious relationship or even think of marriage or raising a family

getting assistance from the Government is not acceptable, I do not believe people should depend on the Gov to take care of you or pay for your kids

if your not making a above average salary, you shouldnt be dating, because you cant take care or support them.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
No, I would not date a person working for minimum wage unless this was back in my high school days

people that work for minimum wage have no business to be in a serious relationship or even think of marriage or raising a family

getting assistance from the Government is not acceptable, I do not believe people should depend on the Gov to take care of you or pay for your kids

if your not making a above average salary, you shouldnt be dating, because you cant take care or support them.

Huh, why would you need to be able to take care of someone or support someone just to date someone?

How did kids get into this? Or marriage even?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:43 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
They really aren't. They are simply saying that they don't want to date them. And in turn being told how that is a bad thing.
Some are going beyond simply saying they wouldn't want to date a low-wage worker. We all have preferences, which is fine and natural. But to assume all sorts of negatives about a low-wage worker is, in my opinion, elitist and unfair.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Your beliefs are not universal though. They are, of course, valid and real for you (and for likeminded people), but they in no way represent the rest of the world, or even the rest of the country, or even a particular state or city. Many people would negatively evaluate a low-wage worker and make assumptions about said worker's lack of ambition, but many people would not.
The word ambitious means what it means. I have nothing against anyone who does not choose to be that.

Quote:
And being preoccupied with social status and using financial prowess as a main determiner of a person's ambition or respectability might say a lot about the superficiality of the person doing the judging.
Who is judging now? Social status and financial prowess are the only reasons you can come up with the be motivated to strive to be better day over day? Huh.

Quote:
And maybe that's ok. But the point is the world is huge and filled with diverse people, so it makes sense that we all have different opinions and beliefs about a variety of things. And nobody has a lock on being right.
Never said it wasn't.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
If I was in high school or college? Yes.

If I was dating someone and they lost their job and had to take what they could find temporarily and it was minimum wage while they searched for a better job? Sure.

If they planned to always make minimum, it would depend. Do they own their home outright? Do they drive a car that's paid for and/or do their own repairs?

Do they have money in the bank for retirement and/or did they inherit money that would allow them to work for less?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
If I was in high school or college? Yes.

If I was dating someone and they lost their job and had to take what they could find temporarily and it was minimum wage while they searched for a better job? Sure.

If they planned to always make minimum, it would depend. Do they own their home outright? Do they drive a car that's paid for and/or do their own repairs?

Do they have money in the bank for retirement and/or did they inherit money that would allow them to work for less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships