Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,753,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Having a kid used to be a dealbreaker. When my marriage started falling apart and I pictured my next relationship, I had basically decided that I would stay away from women with children. Figured it'd be easier to focus on our relationship, be spontaneous, and I wouldn't have to deal with any awkward meetings, scorn from ex-husband, etc.

Then when my marriage did end and it wasn't just a hypothetical any longer, I revisited my outlook. In the end, I realized it was kind of sexy for a single woman to raise a well-adjusted kid. It showed a lot of willpower and determination. And I'm not an obnoxious *******, so why should I be worried about having to win over a kid or ex-husband?

So now I am developing a relationship with a single mom. Makes for some challenges, mostly about coordinating our time together. And we've had the beginning discussions about the meeting. But I don't regret softening my stance on the dealbreaker.
I agree, but i don't know if I'd call your acceptance "sexy". Respectful is a better concept in my experience. I have a great deal of respect for single mothers, whose primary concern is the well-being of their children. If a man wants to be number 1 in the life of a woman who has, or will have, children, you will fail if she is a good woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,324,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yes, women who consumed alcohol (even occasionally). In brief: I was in my late teens, a drunk driver (woman) plowed into my car with my childhood best friend in it. His last words as his mangled broken body laid half way on my lap was "I cant feel my legs".

He died in the car, and part of me did, too. It took a few years to get over it, but its no longer a deal breaker.
That is terrible. So sorry to hear that.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,169,994 times
Not really. I still don't want to date someone that had a sleeping around past because I'm not that in the female version. I don't want to date someone that had a history of hitting a gf or others (unless it was a real case of life-death situation or him trying to protect a closed member from harm...retaliation in anger for the sake of who is more right isn't self-defense) nor cheated in the past.

Sorry to hear what happened hawaiiancoconut. It must be the most awful thing someone has to go through at that age.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,294,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Having a kid used to be a dealbreaker. When my marriage started falling apart and I pictured my next relationship, I had basically decided that I would stay away from women with children. Figured it'd be easier to focus on our relationship, be spontaneous, and I wouldn't have to deal with any awkward meetings, scorn from ex-husband, etc.

Then when my marriage did end and it wasn't just a hypothetical any longer, I revisited my outlook. In the end, I realized it was kind of sexy for a single woman to raise a well-adjusted kid. It showed a lot of willpower and determination. And I'm not an obnoxious *******, so why should I be worried about having to win over a kid or ex-husband?

So now I am developing a relationship with a single mom. Makes for some challenges, mostly about coordinating our time together. And we've had the beginning discussions about the meeting. But I don't regret softening my stance on the dealbreaker.

I'm doing the same as well. Currently talking too and spending time with a single mom of a 3 year old and 6 year old. None of this was really expected, since we officially met months ago and didn't have good impressions of each other. Started just chatting a couple of weeks ago on shared interest, which led to drinks a couple of days later. Come to find out, we both felt something when we went our separate ways that evening. We've both admitted that we came in with little to no interest that night, but left having interest.

Neither of us were looking to date either, so we're just seeing where things go for now. I have likely laxed a little on some of my dealbreakers, because I think I had some in place that were actually going to keep me perpetually single.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,386,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh my God. I am so sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That is terrible. So sorry to hear that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post

Sorry to hear what happened hawaiiancoconut. It must be the most awful thing someone has to go through at that age.
Thanks Guys. I'm blessed that I was able to walk away with just a concussion and a chipped tooth - given none of us was wearing seat belts .

It was an absolute deal breaker in my college years to date a woman who drank alcohol (as far as being serious/casual dating didn't count ). Ive not drank any alcohol since I was 19; mainly because I take my health seriously, and that tragic incident.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 PM

405 posts, read 241,738 times
For me it used to be girls who smoked, But now that I know I don't want to get married or have Children or potentially live with my S/O, I have opened up to the idea of dating a girl who smoked.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM

11,239 posts, read 8,334,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Just curious. If so what are they and what made you change your mind?

I don't really have any to share (sorry).
When I was in college, I was dating a girl and she told me she was bisexual. I was young, it freaked me out, and I ran away with my tail between my legs.

What an idiot I was. In 2016 (25+ years later!!!) that would not be a dealbreaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships