Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,138 times

Advertisements

Even if they are typically faithful? I agree that cheating is very very wrong and that if someone wants to be with someone else they should end a relationship first. But what if you're being blackmailed into staying and your heart is not in it? Do you think the trapped person is likely to cheat despite the fact that they have always been faithful? Do you think cheating wpuld be mpre acceptable in that type of situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,593,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippyTaco View Post
Even if they are typically faithful? I agree that cheating is very very wrong and that if someone wants to be with someone else they should end a relationship first. But what if you're being blackmailed into staying and your heart is not in it? Do you think the trapped person is likely to cheat despite the fact that they have always been faithful? Do you think cheating wpuld be mpre acceptable in that type of situation?
Well yes the more and more unhappy you get in a relationship it will only increase your chances of cheating.

I don't understand what you mean by blackmailed into staying?, if that occurred that's just as much reason to end the relationship as it is for cheating

Old 02-15-2016, 06:03 PM

15,097 posts, read 10,192,392 times
If a person's needs are not met, the temptation increases. Infidelity is often a two way street.... cheating is cheating.. no excuse. But often (ie not always) there is a series of things that lead to it.

Another poster here once told me "Fidelity is something we should continue to earn"... I think there is some truth to that.

Now question...I don't quite understand "blackmailed" in the context of this thread. Explain?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,844,086 times
Let's make this hypothetical blackmailing situation more interesting by turning the couple into the offspring of opposing families of Yakuza gangsters who are blackmailing each other by threatening to expose the one who is the police informant!

(Or you could just describe the situation you are in and the type of advice you need)

Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,593,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Let's make this hypothetical blackmailing situation more interesting by turning the couple into the offspring of opposing families of Yakuza gangsters who are blackmailing each other by threatening to expose the one who is the police informant!

(Or you could just describe the situation you are in and the type of advice you need)

Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,264,242 times
Blackmailed??? Really??

Come on.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 AM

51,378 posts, read 37,057,871 times
Yes it is not unusual for the unhappy person to seek even subconsciously, an "exit" relationship, the one that finally gives you the courage to leave, even if it's by getting "caught" to force an ending. I never cheated until the very end of my 15 year live-in relationship, and even then I didn't physically do more than kiss, but I did feel like I was in love, and in the end that gave me the determination I needed to bite the bullet and start a new life. Just don't expect the new relationship to last. I do feel he was meant to come into my life so I could do what my gut knew for 2 years I had to do, then when his purpose was served, the Universe took him away because I didn't need him anymore. Boy was my heart broken for a while though. I do feel bad that I couldn't break more cleanly, and sooner, from my ex, but we all do the best we know how to do at the time, and it is what it is.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Blackmailed?? Really?? How often do people get blackmailed? Is this even a real question? The answer is don't do anything that can get you blackmailed.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,988,851 times
Maybe the "blackmail" she is feeling is more like "If you cheat on me, I'll break up with you and you'll have to move out of my Mom's house, and you'll actually have to get a job and a place to live."

Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,717,153 times
Quote:
To cheat or not to cheat is a moral question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships