Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I dunno if someone has already started a thread about this. If so please forgive me. I have talked to a guy recently and he says he doesn't celebrate "Pagan" holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, V-Day etc.) Would that be a dealbreaker for you to move forward with someone? For me, it took me back some because I remember having a foster parent who was a Jehovah's Witness. Didn't celebrate anything, and not only that, but she was an evil person on top of that, but that's beside the point. I like my holidays, especially Thanksgiving because I look at it as a time to be with family. Anyways, what is your take on it?
Well, is he really strict about it? Does he just not celebrate them or does he rigorously reject them?

I don't celebrate those days either but if somebody invites me for Thanksgiving, I will go. Maybe he will, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 AM

72 posts, read 67,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I'm glad I wasn't too shallow to not want to go any further. He texted me saying those thing, and when I didn't answer back, he said "Well it looks like your interest level took a nosedive"
Regardless of whether it is shallow or not....

Why is it so bad to be considered shallow? What is wrong with being shallow?

It seems to me that basically made this thread to ask everyone to validate that you were not "shallow" or, in other words...

OP: "I don't like this guy for reasons X, Y and Z, but I'm still a good person, right??"

Person 1: "Yup, you are still a great gal!"

Person 2: "Totally agreed!"

OP: "Geeze, thanks guys, I feel great already!"

Old 02-17-2016, 04:39 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
I'm the kind of person that just goes with the flow. I honestly would probably just roll with it.

Wouldn't bother me too much.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
I'm not the type who celebrates holidays wasn't my thing and still isn't. However, Thanksgiving and Christmas is family time and I celebrate it because it means a lot of to my mother.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:17 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I could got without most holidays, no problem.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:40 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Although I have nothing against a person not celebrating a given holiday (or any holidays), I don't think I could date such a person as holidays are such a big part of my life, LOL.

I'm already planning and buying Halloween decor. And no, I'm not lying.

Actually, because he knows me so well, my husband got me fake tombstones for Christmas.

I just can't even see it working out...me + a no-holidays person...I even leave out candy "from the Leprechaun". Everybody jokes, "JerZ, it's almost Arbor Day, don't you have some giant tree party all set up yet?" I'll celebrate ANYTHING...

Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 PM

583 posts, read 712,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FycBST2 View Post
Regardless of whether it is shallow or not....

Why is it so bad to be considered shallow? What is wrong with being shallow?

It seems to me that basically made this thread to ask everyone to validate that you were not "shallow" or, in other words...

OP: "I don't like this guy for reasons X, Y and Z, but I'm still a good person, right??"

Person 1: "Yup, you are still a great gal!"

Person 2: "Totally agreed!"

OP: "Geeze, thanks guys, I feel great already!"
Interpret it how you wish.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM

583 posts, read 712,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, is he really strict about it? Does he just not celebrate them or does he rigorously reject them?

I don't celebrate those days either but if somebody invites me for Thanksgiving, I will go. Maybe he will, too?
He says he doesn't partake in that type of thing. He sees no reason to.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,459,649 times
I stopped celebrating all holidays, Im just not a festive person, plus I dont like celebrating religious holidays because Im non religious, so I definitely dont celebrate Christmas or Easter

most holidays are so commercialized , they try to make people spend more money because it's a holiday!

Valentines Day sale, Black Friday sale, Christmas sale, Presidents day sale, Easter sale, Fourth of July Sale, Memorial Day sale, Labor day sale! Back to School sales, they try to make people feel they have to celebrate and spend money and use the holiday as an excuse to spend more.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,302 times
Yes I like parties and gatherings, it's not so much about the "holiday" itself but what it represents which is family/friends coming together. I don't celebrate Easter but Christmas and thanksgiving has more to do with family vs religious reasons.

Also I love Valentines day and its a deal breaker for a guy to not participate because he thinks it's stupid. One of my friends husband does not like Valentines Day and has never got her anything and she secretly does not like it but she goes along with it. I felt bad for her this past Valentines day when she saw all the great things my fiancé did for me and her husband did nothing for her.

Whatever is important to you does not have to be explained period. Like someone else stated if some people view it as shallow so be it. A lot of people think Valentines day is lame, stupid, whatever but that isn't going to stop me from celebrating it because it's important to me and it doesn't matter how anyone else feels about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships