Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can't help thinking this is going to end in disaster for this couple. She was hell bent on getting out of the area. I don't know him, but from talking to her, he doesn't seem too keen on it. Do you think one spouse moving across the country for work, and essentially running two households, is likely to cause significant marital issues?
We've done this twice. Once with kids, once without. Both times they were because of my husband's need to work and my graduate school. Both times were for a year. We've been married over 20 years now. It's not idea, but it doesn't mean the kiss of death all the time. Neither of us was running from anything, unless you could "running from poverty" as something (once he moved across the country, the second time I moved across the ocean).

Quote:
Strong relationships stay strong.
Agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 AM

780 posts, read 678,600 times
Currently, my husband and I are physically separated. He's in the Navy. He's not the only one who's spouse is miles away. He had a friend in the Navy with him, they were together for more than a year. They're in San Diego, and this guy's wife and child are in Chicago and always have been.

I don't think it's impossible to make it work.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
A friend of mine has had such an arrangement for quite some time now. The company his wife works for relocated to Texas and transferred her, so she and the kids moved 5 years ago. He is a NY state employee and is fully-vested in the retirement system, so moving would have cost him his pension. They're still married and he flies down to visit several times per year. He missed out on a lot of time and memories, but they made it work and he when retires next year he will be joining them down there.

Other than that, I've only known of short-term situations, where one spouse had to start at their new job and the other stayed behind until the school year ended, or until their house sold.
sincerely, that is great they are making it work...but I don't think this is the norm
I cant see making a MARRIAGE/FAMILY work when you only visit a few times a year

peeps change as they age, chances are they make it to his retirement, he moves there...and they have nothing in common anymore...

it takes a special couple to make this work, in my opinion!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
sincerely, that is great they are making it work...but I don't think this is the norm
I cant see making a MARRIAGE/FAMILY work when you only visit a few times a year

peeps change as they age, chances are they make it to his retirement, he moves there...and they have nothing in common anymore...

it takes a special couple to make this work, in my opinion!
Yeah, I don't know how they keep it together. Maybe it's a cultural thing, being they're both immigrants and are accustomed to practicality and just doing what they have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships