Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

Cripes, I haven't replaced anything because of a man, how silly and a complete waste of money, time and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 10:30 AM

209 posts, read 292,446 times
I would think that a few weeks of ice cream or chocolate therapy would be a lot cheaper. Bad thing is that you may gain a couple of extra pounds is all. Then you get into the exercise therapy mode which helps you forget a person too.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
After the ex left me following 25 years of marriage I "escaped" with my clothes and a very few pieces of old furniture. She took everything else. A few months later I inventoried my clothes. They were old and some were kind of worn. The ex had never seen a penny I earned she didn't want and couldn't spend and that did not include my wardrobe. Over the course of a few months I replaced my clothes with new slacks, sports coats, dress shirts - some colorful - tasteful silk ties, new shoes, et al. It lifted my spirits and caught the attention of a number of women at work. But sorry ladies, I did not date coworkers. Bad form!

A couple of years later I also replaced the ex with a former coworker I'd known for five years and always admired and respected. Much better!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I would think that a few weeks of ice cream or chocolate therapy would be a lot cheaper. Bad thing is that you may gain a couple of extra pounds is all. Then you get into the exercise therapy mode which helps you forget a person too.
The worst break-up I could not eat for a month. It was the best diet ever

Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 AM

964 posts, read 994,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I guess retail therapy may work for some, but it seems excessive to just replace stuff because of a break-up.
Agree. I've never heard of replacing anything after a breakup.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So what do you replace, if anything, after a break up.?
The cats! (j/k)

I'd only replace things that invoke very specific connections or images to that ex - so, some pictures or perhaps very nostalgic gifts. Maybe the sheets, if they're stained ...

Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
Nothing.

I have the money to buy a new phone, new wardrobe, etc...but I'm smart with my money and am also quite financially frugal. Why waste money replacing things, when, in the end, those things honesty don't completely erase the memory of that person?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I bought a house and got a drastic new haircut. It was fun! And cathartic. Shedding the old boyfriend gave me the notion that the old apartment and the old hairdo weren't working any longer, either. The new house also gave me something to occupy my time and my mind.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Recently a poster said she would replace her clothing after a break up.

This struck me as weird. Maybe because I could never afford to replace all my clothing in between every break up. I still wear jeans that are a good 10 years old...lol. I have yoga pants my ex husband bought a good 12-13 years ago!

I am however considering getting a whole new bed room set and mattress. At first I was just thinking comforter set but now thinking just start fresh and make my bedroom my special place that I have no memories of exes sharing my space. At this point my on,y hold back is the bed full of cats... I don't want to spend money for good linens, so the cats will be comfortable.

So what do you replace, if anything, after a break up.?
Don't replace the cats!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I am so good at replacing men... I don't even need all that. Crack a beer just like any other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships