Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it is a "life sentence", just that calling it a string of years and years and years of "bad luck" is totally bogus.
Right, and Checkered also said:

Quote:
Dates just don't happen. If you have not been dating and find it a monumental task to approach women, be comfortable around them, and have a chance at dating, then you really need to seek some professional help to work out the roadblocks in your life which are holding you back.
which is something that a lot of the dudes on this board aren't willing to do. Nothing is hopeless, but a lot of people need to take a hard look at their behavior and expectations to understand why they're not getting the results they want.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-29-2016 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

which is something that a lot of the dudes on this board aren't willing to do.

True. I have luck at dating, I haven't been having luck finding a monogamous relationship with a person I want one with. I date them, sleep with them, sometimes for years, but I can't find the monogamous relationship I want.

Guess what. Common denominator! It isn't bad luck, it is me. My picker. My actions. My inactions. I'm to blame. No one else, and certainly not luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:21 PM

405 posts, read 241,023 times
Quote:
Which is an issue in itself.

how is that an issue?.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBrown333 View Post
how is that an issue?.

A human being, a naturally social creature, decides it isn't worth it to invest energy into making a connection with another human being?

That screams "there is an issue". Even those most introverted of people need some socializing, we are, as a species, mentally and emotional messes without social connections. Someone that thinks interpersonal connections aren't worth putting energy into, for like over a decade, screams freaking issues.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No. I said I can determine how attracted I AM to someone by looking at them. I don't know or care how others do it, I know what is best for me.
You could very well be writing off the perfect match for you because she doesn't come bundled as tall and curvy. Maybe try broadening your horizons instead of focusing on "type".

Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
At 30 you should be in the right spot to facilitate a family (mentally, spiritually and financially) provided you actually want one and can find a decent girl worth having a family with.

Perhaps times have changed though. The amount of "still living at home until I can afford my dreams" threads are pretty astonishing on these boards.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You could very well be writing off the perfect match for you because she doesn't come bundled as tall and curvy. Maybe try broadening your horizons instead of focusing on "type".
I can see how sometimes "type" can be hard to let go of for guys. A good example: I went to an art opening one evening. A guy who was either a co-owner of the exhibit space, or a friend of the owner, was standing to one side, dressed in a nice leather jacket, his version of dressing "sharp". He was scanning the room throughout the evening, surveying the women as they came in. He never approached anyone. Why? Because (I concluded) the women were dressed more informally than what he was looking for, and were average-looking. No one came in who was wearing heels and something like a cocktail dress or "date" dress, looking hot. A few women were wearing skirts or dresses, but nothing trendy or fashionable. Others were wearing jeans or casual pants, and their fashion sense didn't jibe with his.

Was he missing out on a great potential girlfriend? Well, maybe not, if what he wanted was someone he could dress up with and go out with to certain types of venues, someone he could hit the cocktail circuit with, the trendy parties, etc. I kind of get it, in spite of the general nature of my posts that people should get past their fixation on "type".

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
At 30, it is not too late to meet someone to establish a family with kids. However, most normal, never married women who are interested in having a family usually try to meet their SO by early 20th. So every year from now your chances will diminish somewhat. That does not mean at all that you are doomed. That does mean that you have to have realistic expectations about the appearance. character, etc of someone you are trying to date...

Old 02-29-2016, 01:12 PM

405 posts, read 241,023 times
Quote:
A human being, a naturally social creature, decides it isn't worth it to invest energy into making a connection with another human being?

That screams "there is an issue". Even those most introverted of people need some socializing, we are, as a species, mentally and emotional messes without social connections. Someone that thinks interpersonal connections aren't worth putting energy into, for like over a decade, screams freaking issues.

I was talking about relationships lol, me personally I have plenty of friends and a pretty active social life (doing something every weekend usually), also throw in hanging out with my brothers and sisters (7 of us total 5 boys and 2 girls). I say that regarding relationships I have probably in my life only twice put in effort into going on a date (and both times I did get dates with the girls I wanted to) my last time putting in effort into that aspect was 2013, I feel this year I will make an effort as of right now, but If I change my mind and decide not to, I have plenty of other avenues of making connections with people.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:16 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can see how sometimes "type" can be hard to let go of for guys. A good example: I went to an art opening one evening. A guy who was either a co-owner of the exhibit space, or a friend of the owner, was standing to one side, dressed in a nice leather jacket, his version of dressing "sharp". He was scanning the room throughout the evening, surveying the women as they came in. He never approached anyone. Why? Because (I concluded) the women were dressed more informally than what he was looking for, and were average-looking. No one came in who was wearing heels and something like a cocktail dress or "date" dress, looking hot. A few women were wearing skirts or dresses, but nothing trendy or fashionable. Others were wearing jeans or casual pants, and their fashion sense didn't jibe with his.

Was he missing out on a great potential girlfriend? Well, maybe not, if what he wanted was someone he could dress up with and go out with to certain types of venues, someone he could hit the cocktail circuit with, the trendy parties, etc. I kind of get it, in spite of the general nature of my posts that people should get past their fixation on "type".
I'm surprised to see you write something like this because your whole post is based on a guess you made about him, not knowing a thing about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships