Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 5,592 times

Advertisements

I'm 29, male, and single, live in the United Kingdom. I should also add (if this is relevant) that I have Asperger's Syndrome.

What activities are the best way to meet single people, other than online dating and Meetup? I can't have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I want to accomplish two goals - meet new people and a long-term partner. I'm not sporty, so sporting activities aren't useful to me.

My problem is finding an activity that is appropriate for me, and enjoyable. I looked at Meetup.com for my area but couldn't find much that was of interest, the groups I were interested in were inactive - one since mid-2014, and another early 2015!

I keep myself looking presentable, try and make myself interesting, learn interesting subjects for polite conversation etc. and am well-educated (I went to university) but I have not yet met anyone.

I have never been on a date before in my life, but come close to it, the girl I met didn't turn up (and didn't even let me know); but this was way back in 2007.

What activities would you recommend? If anyone wants to make a list of 3 good ones to try (I was taking advice from some relationship blog I read which suggested I take up three new activities to meet new people) then please let me know.

Also, I am attracted to certain types of women, in terms of personality, namely the "girly girl" type and also geeks as well (I am also a geek, to be fair).

Aside from white/English/British people, I am attracted to Asian women (over here in the UK Asian refers to women of Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan descent rather than what Asian American defines it as) and I have been (and am) attracted to American or Canadian women (I was friends with some when I was in university, but it never got beyond friendship. Since then, aside from tourists, I haven't really met any. As it is though, there does seem to be evidence that British women/American men relationships are popular, this article being one of them.).

It's not a race fetish or anything like that but who I am attracted to (I had friends of different backgrounds, race, ages). I am not seeing them as stereotypes, but as individuals.

Last edited by a580-1986; 02-24-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Just put yourself out there whenever you can.

If you have never been on a first date I recommend a speed dating event for you. Even if you don't meet anybody there, you will see you benefit from it. It will make you way more relaxed once you have an actual date.

Speed dating is like a crash course and it may sound frightening but it really helps to gain confidence.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:54 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Default Best activites to meet single people?

Comic cons/ Star trek conventions?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM

346 posts, read 730,909 times
Do you like running at all? Do you have a crazy sense of humor? If so, look up the hash house harriers. I don't know about long term, but you'll certainly make friends there. They have chapters all over the world.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times
As a guy, my best experiences meeting single women were:

Classes of any kind - painting, dancing, cooking. Wine tasting, though I wouldn't call it a "class", had a ton as well.

Co-ed sports groups. I know you said these weren't up your alley, but some aren't very "sporty" (the last one I was in included things like Cornhole and Skeeball. Hardly the most athletic of activities.

I do NOT recommend the geeky events. Just trust me on this, I'm a geek too. I mean, go for the sake of going if you like, but don't go to meet a single girl.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 5,592 times
Thank you to everyone so far.
As for the advice above, I didn't know that, so thank you!

Old 02-27-2016, 12:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Co-ed sports groups. I know you said these weren't up your alley, but some aren't very "sporty" (the last one I was in included things like Cornhole and Skeeball. Hardly the most athletic of activities.
Kickball is probably one of the better ones for meeting dates if you don't have any sort of decent ability in any sport. In the US, kickball leagues are mainly done for the purpose of either finding dates/sexual partners or getting completely intoxicated afterward, or both!

Volleyball is a female friendly sport. A decent option for those not into kickball and can play it. It's a more challenging game than kickball.

Sports leagues can be a good option, but not automatic.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,834 times
Join a charity group or a fan group as well.

Also involve yourself on courses and classes and see how that´s going.

But go to things you like. Don´t try to join groups fo things you don´t care nothing about.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:59 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
What are the three activities you most enjoy doing? I'd start there as that is where you are most likely to be in your comfort zone and relaxed which will make it easier to interact with others. Once you get comfortable in those environments, branch out.

I agree with speed dating as a great way to practice having conversations with the opposite gender, especially if you are rusty or haven't had much practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships