Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times

Advertisements

All four of my grandparents had false teeth from before I was born. My parents went through bridge-work and eventually they both had dentures. So in theory I should be losing my teeth in my mid-30s and by 50 I should be in full dentures. Right?

Growing up I had some fillings and in the military I got some more fillings. All of my fillings have been to fill in my crowns. The dentists say that the crevices in my crowns are very deep and by definition are 'cavities', yet without any indication of 'tooth decay' being present. So no 'tooth decay' but all of my crowns have been drilled on and packed with mercury-amalgam.

I have never flossed. I brush most days, but I have never brushed every day. I try to avoid sugar in my diet. This year I turn 57 and I still have all of my teeth.

I do not think genetics play a large role in our teeth. I think that if you see a dentist once-a-year, generally brush your teeth 3 or 4 times a weeks, try to avoid sugar, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:58 PM

251 posts, read 175,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
All four of my grandparents had false teeth from before I was born. My parents went through bridge-work and eventually they both had dentures. So in theory I should be losing my teeth in my mid-30s and by 50 I should be in full dentures. Right?

Growing up I had some fillings and in the military I got some more fillings. All of my fillings have been to fill in my crowns. The dentists say that the crevices in my crowns are very deep and by definition are 'cavities', yet without any indication of 'tooth decay' being present. So no 'tooth decay' but all of my crowns have been drilled on and packed with mercury-amalgam.

I have never flossed. I brush most days, but I have never brushed every day. I try to avoid sugar in my diet. This year I turn 57 and I still have all of my teeth.

I do not think genetics play a large role in our teeth. I think that if you see a dentist once-a-year, generally brush your teeth 3 or 4 times a weeks, try to avoid sugar, you will be fine.
My Dad is 75 and doesn't have full dentures either. He does have a partial and some work done, but what 75 year old man doesn't?

Genic...just like anything else.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,124,869 times
Quote:

Wrong. For example, my father had all his upper teeth pulled by the time he was 17 years old. Primarily because he didn't brush his teeth or practice good oral hygiene and abused them by chewing on hard stuff and having a very bad diet from the time he was born. He was a smoker and drinking starting at 13 years old.

Funny because I'm over 30 years old and I still got all of my original teeth (minus the two upper wisdom teeth that were pulled when I was stationed on the Midway) and the very first filling I needed was when I was 32 years old, but he will comment to me that I don't need to brush with "x" brand of toothpaste because when he was a kid they brushed with only water and baking soda. I then remind him that he also had all his upper teeth pulled by the time he was 17.

So family oral health history may play a part, but not as much as one may think.

I brush twice a day but no more then three. I also floss once a day (at night before bed). I also use mouthwash twice per day (first thing after brushing in the morning and last after brushing and flossing at night before bed). I'll be one unhappy camper if I have to lose a tooth or get one root canaled. I gave up coffee entirely just because my teeth started turning brown. I went from drinking two gallons of coffee a day for 15 years to absolutely zero. Worst headache I ever had which lasted a solid week.

Last edited by FC76-81; 03-01-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:

I have never flossed. I brush most days, but I have never brushed every day. .
I can't imagine what your breath smells like. Or I can, I guess...

Old 03-01-2016, 03:48 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
I lost my first adult-tooth, due to a combination of poor oral hygiene, lack of repair/realignment in my teens, and that jumbled and amorphous thing called "genetic factors", in my late 20s. Now in my 40s, most of my teeth have fillings. A half-dozen have crowns. About a dozen have root-canals. And another half-dozen are missing, including the two prominent front upper teeth. Those teeth that remain, have moved to grotesque and contorted positions, when their neighboring teeth were removed. Thus I have crowding of several teeth, with a ~1cm lacuna on either side of said crowding. Rather than biting off chunks of food, I tear into it, be it a steak or a crisp apple.

For some years, I wore an upper partial, which is to say a semi-rigid plastic implement that's secured at the existing teeth, and covers gaps. Since several of my existing teeth are askew, by say 30 degrees or more, when wearing the partial I had a region with effectively two rows of teeth – one behind the other. My dentist suggested that if the aesthetic effect doesn’t trouble me, it would be healthier to dispense with the dentures entirely; they're only a place for food to accumulate and for decay to set in.

An orthodontist examined me in detail, and averred that he really has nothing to offer. Existing teeth could be moved around, but they would not be stable once moved. They would continue to migrate, unless somehow reinforced, for example by implants.

The upshot of this is that I couldn't care less. I proudly give speeches and meet with relatively highly-ranked people, wearing a tailored suit and a trim haircut, but lacking upper front teeth. This has attained by now a level of idiosyncratic notoriety, and frankly, I enjoy it.

The effect on dating? Those who dismiss me for my teeth, are unworthy of further attention. Let poor teeth therefore be a discriminator. I welcome it!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I lost my first adult-tooth, due to a combination of poor oral hygiene, lack of repair/realignment in my teens, and that jumbled and amorphous thing called "genetic factors", in my late 20s. Now in my 40s, most of my teeth have fillings. A half-dozen have crowns. About a dozen have root-canals. And another half-dozen are missing, including the two prominent front upper teeth. Those teeth that remain, have moved to grotesque and contorted positions, when their neighboring teeth were removed. Thus I have crowding of several teeth, with a ~1cm lacuna on either side of said crowding. Rather than biting off chunks of food, I tear into it, be it a steak or a crisp apple.

For some years, I wore an upper partial, which is to say a semi-rigid plastic implement that's secured at the existing teeth, and covers gaps. Since several of my existing teeth are askew, by say 30 degrees or more, when wearing the partial I had a region with effectively two rows of teeth – one behind the other. My dentist suggested that if the aesthetic effect doesn’t trouble me, it would be healthier to dispense with the dentures entirely; they're only a place for food to accumulate and for decay to set in.

An orthodontist examined me in detail, and averred that he really has nothing to offer. Existing teeth could be moved around, but they would not be stable once moved. They would continue to migrate, unless somehow reinforced, for example by implants.

The upshot of this is that I couldn't care less. I proudly give speeches and meet with relatively highly-ranked people, wearing a tailored suit and a trim haircut, but lacking upper front teeth. This has attained by now a level of idiosyncratic notoriety, and frankly, I enjoy it.

The effect on dating? Those who dismiss me for my teeth, are unworthy of further attention. Let poor teeth therefore be a discriminator. I welcome it!
Sorry to hear about your teeth. That's terrible. It's times like this after reading such things where I really don't mind that I've never won the jackpot of the lottery.

My issue/problem is I do look at women's teeth very much and if they don't have good oral hygiene, I'm not interested. It's a huge turnoff to me.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't imagine what your breath smells like. Or I can, I guess...
I've had friends like that. A week out in town eating garlic pizza, smoking and drinking and they want to get close to me and talk. Bad combo! And the real kicker is I try and back up a little from them while they're talking but since they are drunk, they always seem to pull towards me when I'm trying to back away from them.

And don't even get me started on what it's like talking with chicks who've just got done eating kimchi, bugaong or balut. Dry heave city!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:11 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Default When Do Teeth Become a Deal Breaker?

When those teeth start to rake the skin off my D. Ouch!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Make sure they have you on the list to call if there is a cancellation and they can get you in sooner. Happens a lot in the dental world!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Make sure they have you on the list to call if there is a cancellation and they can get you in sooner. Happens a lot in the dental world!
Yes, I definitely already have However, it's a pretty long appointment so the chances are pretty slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships