Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM

221 posts, read 318,221 times

Advertisements

...Especially in regards to a relationship.

For the first 25-ish years of my life I didn't try. Nothing came to me. Then after trying really hard (or so I thought) for a few years (strictly OLD), I finally found someone.

That relationship has since ended and after some time to myself, I feel ready to find it again. I've been trying pretty hard again for a few months (I know that's not THAT long) but I still feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Friends have told me to just stop. Especially the online dating, which I'm finding frustrating and a waste of my time. But I literally have never met anyone any other way. They say that when I just stop, I'll find someone.

It's never worked for me before, why would it work now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I could be wrong, but I've always thought the intent behind that statement was to say that people can get SO focused on a goal that they miss other opportunities around them.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Sure there's truth that you have a better chance of stumbling into someone that you had surprise chemistry with, yet you still have to put forth effort for that development to grow. Also, people just change their minds too. They may be into you one day, go to bed, and wake up and not be into you as much. When you're talking about dating, it can be really complex for some and has easy as getting a drink of water for others.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
Its not so much the Stop Trying that attracts folk, as the Scent of Desperation turning them away.

IMHO.

If you approach the other sex as a Human Being instead of a Potential Date, life runs a whole lot smoother and things pop up where you never expected.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:54 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I could be wrong, but I've always thought the intent behind that statement was to say that people can get SO focused on a goal that they miss other opportunities around them.
In addition, trying TOO hard can add an air of desperation, which isn't attractive on anybody. Those who have "stopped trying", so to speak, are less likely to have that aura about them.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Nope, I stopped trying about 3 years ago and had just as much success of when I did try, zilch.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
In a way. Not "stop trying" altogether as in live in your basement and never come out, but...stop trying so hard that it shows.

Being more easygoing and confident (for both men and women) is attractive.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
The meaning behind that statement is to focus on other things while at the same time...being open to meeting someone.

Don't go out expecting to meet someone or with the soul purpose of finding someone. You cannot force love to happen no matter how much you want to. In my own personal experience.....I genuinely stopped worrying about it and have gotten to the point of not really caring anymore.

If I come across someone I like, cool. If not, that's fine too. There is more to life than relationships.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
My friends always tell me that. They didn't look for anyone and bam they met their wives and girlfriends.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Isn't the saying "when you stop trying too hard it will come to you?" I guess there are different versions of the same saying. But the truth is, especially for a guy, that you don't want to come out desperate or needy when dating. On other hand a needy but non crazy woman could be a turn on. But if someone just sits at home and watches TV then nothing will come to him/her. I think this saying means that you should try to have fun with dating/friends, enjoy different activities, interact with people and there could be a spark with someone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships