Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 02:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
To me, if I'm looking for a girlfriend and have that as a SPECIFIC goal and a date doesn't work out, other than eliminating that person from consideration, I made no advancement towards that goal. That is frustrating to me.
And how many second and third dates do you go on?

I bet you grill them like you're filling a job that cost you $100k salary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What fun for her on that date...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And how many second and third dates do you go on?

I bet you grill them like you're filling a job that cost you $100k salary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What fun for her on that date...
No grilling here. I tend to let them talk and feel their vibe and typically they eliminate themselves or decide I'm not good enough for them and reject them. The dates NEVER end up being fun for me either.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
I wonder how much more frustrating it is going to be when you find the one who is *the one* for you and she goes down her lists of requirements and tosses you from the eligible pool in 60 seconds or less because *you* will not fulfill her requirement to move closer to her goal in life......

Old 03-15-2016, 02:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No grilling here. I tend to let them talk and feel their vibe and typically they eliminate themselves or decide I'm not good enough for them and reject them. The dates NEVER end up being fun for me either.

Hmmmmm...does anyone else sense something wrong with Dissenter's entire attitude going into these dates....aside from the payment issue?

Again...how many second or third dates are you getting. This is not just based on HER being wrong, it means you're not PICKING the right ones to date in the first place or you suddenly are changing your requirements or attitude once on the date...if that happens EVERY time and you never get a second date you're never gonna get married.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wonder how much more frustrating it is going to be when you find the one who is *the one* for you and she goes down her lists of requirements and tosses you from the eligible pool in 60 seconds or less because *you* will not fulfill her requirement to move closer to her goal in life......
I may be p$&@ed about it but she is doing me a favor in that instance.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:34 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,334,079 times
Just to add to the fun, calling someone cheap and then saying that the comment isn't an insult is really disingenuous. Cheap, when applied to a person, is an insult.

Also, I freely open doors, get the car when it's raining, carry the heavy stuff, and pay for most activities in my relationship. Still, I wonder about this sometimes. Does thinking about something that appears to be a tradition that is pretty anachronistic make me cheap? Unmanly? Incapable of knowing when someone is insulting me, or disparages the stance I take in wondering about something? Can't people just disagree, or really just ask why something is so important? I mean, I'm doing the man thing pretty good really, but if I wonder about it I'm all kinds of nasty things

So anyway, can someone tell me:

1. Why it's the man's place to pay for first dates?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:36 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,334,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmmmm...does anyone else sense something wrong with Dissenter's entire attitude going into these dates....aside from the payment issue?

Again...how many second or third dates are you getting. This is not just based on HER being wrong, it means you're not PICKING the right ones to date in the first place or you suddenly are changing your requirements or attitude once on the date...if that happens EVERY time and you never get a second date you're never gonna get married.
You think maybe you're a bit out of line making this personal? I don't happen to agree with much of what Dissenter says on this topic, but that's separate from his dating history.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You think maybe you're a bit out of line making this personal? I don't happen to agree with much of what Dissenter says on this topic, but that's separate from his dating history.
Seriously. I'm not going to answer her invasive question and give more ammo everyone here can fire at me.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:50 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,784,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Just to add to the fun, calling someone cheap and then saying that the comment isn't an insult is really disingenuous. Cheap, when applied to a person, is an insult.

Also, I freely open doors, get the car when it's raining, carry the heavy stuff, and pay for most activities in my relationship. Still, I wonder about this sometimes. Does thinking about something that appears to be a tradition that is pretty anachronistic make me cheap? Unmanly? Incapable of knowing when someone is insulting me, or disparages the stance I take in wondering about something? Can't people just disagree, or really just ask why something is so important? I mean, I'm doing the man thing pretty good really, but if I wonder about it I'm all kinds of nasty things

So anyway, can someone tell me:

1. Why it's the man's place to pay for first dates?
Thank you for phrasing some of my thoughts better than I did.

Regarding your question: Though I don't like it, I can very clearly see why it's the case. I wouldn't say it's his "place", but rather his "chosen obligation", and women respond accordingly. And while I don't like that either, I can't blame them for it...I'd do the same if the situations were reversed (and I'm not in a good frame of mind to come up with an appropriate analogy).

Like you, I do most of the underlined. In some cases, it's because I'm a nice person. In others, I'm trying to make a good impression. And in others, it's simply a matter of remaining "competitive", so to speak. And there's plenty of crossover between those three. But apparently, showing dislike for the existing status quo warrants insults.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times
can someone give cliffs of the 38 pages??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships