Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

237 posts, read 224,637 times

Advertisements

The older you get, the less such age differences matter. It's not like she's 20 and you're 16. You are both adults now. My husband is 3 years younger. My best friend is 10 years older than her husband.

I will say that some women gravitate towards older men because they typically act more mature than guys their own age, plus they are more established financially. That's not to say that younger guys can't be mature and financially established, but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Last edited by corgifreak; 03-15-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaf77 View Post
Well, I have a crush on this woman who happens to 28 years old (well name her Sally). I will be 24 soon. She is in dental school with my sister. Recently I assisted her in clinic and afterwards we went to Starbucks along with another student. While at Starbucks, the other student and Sally asked me if I had ever had a girl friend. I told them I had never had one and then the other student suggested (jokingly) to Sally that I could date her. She told him that was gross since I was about a little over 4 years younger than she was. I did not mind the age difference but I guess she did. However, this may be due to the fact that I look young for my age. Also, she is slightly taller than I am.

I am kind of bummed now because I like her and potentially wanted to ask her out. There is a dinner dance coming up and she is single. My sister and her group of friends from the school are going, but I don't know if she would want to give the image that she is dating me since so many of her classmates will be there. I am thinking about asking her so she is not alone but Sally and my sister went together last year. (They just accompanied one another).

So, based on the comment she made at Starbucks, should I ask her? Maybe, feel her out more?
She called you gross dude. Do you really want to date a woman who is mean?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM

57 posts, read 153,623 times
That age difference is nothing. When I was 24 I was knocking down 40-year-old chicks because I was sick of the drama that chicks my own age brought to the table.

If she thinks you're "gross" for being four years younger, either you're a young 24 or she's a really old 28. Do you have a career and your own place and car? If so, the age gap is a nonissue. If, on the other hand, you're still living at home and mom's paying your bills and she's about to be a dentist, then I can see how she views you as a baby.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post
If she thinks you're "gross" for being four years younger, either you're a young 24 or she's a really old 28. Do you have a career and your own place and car? If so, the age gap is a nonissue. If, on the other hand, you're still living at home and mom's paying your bills and she's about to be a dentist, then I can see how she views you as a baby.
I suspect this is the case. She is living like an almost-30-year old independent adult and OP is still living like a high-school boy.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Its unlikely to happen, OP.

Just imagine your buddy/wing-man you go clubbing with suddenly took interest in dating your younger sister. Awkward.

Ive leaned, it isn't a good idea to date any of your sisters close/hangout friends.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:33 AM

854 posts, read 585,659 times
Most women find younger men attractive but refuse to date them because we're thinking 10-15 years down the line when he dumps you for a younger woman.

If a woman dates a younger man usually she is not thinking of the future, she is more in the mindframe of DTF rather than DTLTR.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I would ask her, then allow myself to feel the rejection. Builds character.

4 years really is nothing but if it's not a match, it isn't going to happen.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM

454 posts, read 310,722 times
Quote:
Well, I have a crush on this woman who happens to 28 years old (well name her Sally). I will be 24 soon. She is in dental school with my sister. Recently I assisted her in clinic and afterwards we went to Starbucks along with another student. While at Starbucks, the other student and Sally asked me if I had ever had a girl friend. I told them I had never had one and then the other student suggested (jokingly) to Sally that I could date her. She told him that was gross since I was about a little over 4 years younger than she was. I did not mind the age difference but I guess she did. However, this may be due to the fact that I look young for my age. Also, she is slightly taller than I am.

I am kind of bummed now because I like her and potentially wanted to ask her out. There is a dinner dance coming up and she is single. My sister and her group of friends from the school are going, but I don't know if she would want to give the image that she is dating me since so many of her classmates will be there. I am thinking about asking her so she is not alone but Sally and my sister went together last year. (They just accompanied one another).

So, based on the comment she made at Starbucks, should I ask her? Maybe, feel her out more?
Gross b/c you are 24 and she's 28? Seems to me like you are the mature one here. I mean, that's not any kind of serious age difference and when she gets a little older, she might appreciate it more!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I know but I just keep thinking I should ask because that only happened once. Plus, I just asked my sister about being Sally's date for the dinner dance and my sister was bewildered. She basically thought I didn't know what I was talking about since she was a little over 4 years older than me.
4 years is nothing. Even though it seems like she doesn't think of you as a potential partner, I think you should ask. If she says 'no", you won't be any worse off than you are now. I say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it's worth a shot. At least you'll know you tried, and you won't be left wondering "what if" the rest of your life. Maybe she only thinks of you as her friend's "kid brother", but that could change over time, even if she turns you down this time. (That's me, ever the optimist!)

Besides, anyone who uses the word "gross" isn't out of your league maturity-wise, I say. But don't take it personally if she turns you down. It quite often takes a lot of persuasion to convince an "older" woman (she really isn't that much older, but whatever) to take a younger guy's interest seriously. Usually that's in cases were there's a much bigger age difference, but obviously, it can apply in cases like yours, too.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:42 PM

57 posts, read 153,623 times
The best rule I've heard for determining if someone is too young is still age divided by two plus seven. So if she's 28 and follows this rule, she should be fine dating anyone 21 and up.

When I lived in East Tennessee, the standards were even more liberal. You'd have the younger person stand in a beer barrel and if her head reached over the top, she was old enough. If not, you cut the barrel down a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships