Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:00 AM

576 posts, read 818,376 times

Advertisements

There's this guy at my work who just got hired 3 months ago. Initially, We hardly talked to each other and I was indifferent towards him. This all changed few weeks later when I ran into him in stairway-the first thing he asked was if I go to the gym, to which I replied yes and asked him why he was asking. He proceeded to tell that he saw me the previous day at the gym while he was on treadmill and I was on different machine -but wasn't sure if it was me and that I looked very familiar . I confirmed that he was indeed right. The funny thing is ,I didn't even notice him at the gym that day. After chatting briefly ,I came to conclusion that he variably visits that gym as me -He visits other locations .So it was mere coincidence that we ended up at the same gym that day. Similarly, I go to different locations depending on where I am and the traffic . I've gone back to the same location few times but my gym schedules haven't coincident with his.

In addition,We work in completely unrelated departments.(we have very minimal work-related contact) However, we seem to run into each other walking in and out of conference rooms, hallways ,elavotors and staff rooms. He now always make it a point to smile ,ask how I'm doing and If he is not rushing off somewhere for work, we'll end up chatting briefly about basic stuff.ie if we have gone to gym lately etc.I see him see him around 1-3 times a week if I'm lucky.

He's got this reserved yet friendly geeky nature that I just can't get enough.There's no indication that he is anything towards me other than just-being a -pleasant friendly professional capacity but I'm curious about him, and therefore want to talk to him more, spend some time with him. And I don’t know how to deal with it, and what is considered appropriate

To get to the point: I'd like to get to know this guy a little better. He's nice (or seems to be), and we have a lot of the same interests. I want to ask him to hangout platonically without pressure of being a date.How do I go on about it?

Last edited by MissmamaAnnie; 03-16-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,087,515 times
See if he wants to go to lunch on a workday--that's usually a pretty neutral outing. If you've got any other work friends, ask them, too, so it seems like less of a one-on-one "date".

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-16-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
When you run into him, tell him you are going to this place (maybe a new place or some place neraby) for lunch and ask if he wants to join you. Or if it's after lunch, tell him you're planning to "stop by" this restaurant/bar/name the place after work and ask if he wants to meet you there.

Just make it casual when you ask, and don't worry about it if he declines.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM

462 posts, read 545,607 times
Next time you run into him just say "hey I was just going to grab a cup of coffee, want to come along?". If he is interested he will join you. If for some reason he is really busy at work but likes you he will counter offer. If he doesn't counter offer, forget about him until he asks you out.

It is probable he feels the same way as you but might be uncomfortable because if you reject him he will still have to see you on occasion at work or the gym. Most guys are greatly fear rejection. The fact that he did start a conversation with you indicates he is interested, but was probably looking for a sure fire sign. By asking him for coffee he will realize you are interested unless he is totally socially inept. But let him take it from there after coffee, it is OK to lead a guy to water, but best to let him take the drink for himself if you get my drift.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,544,928 times
He's going to know what deal is however you do it. You ain't fooling anybody

Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,875,991 times
Set up a gym workout with him.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,717,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
See if he wants to go to lunch on a workday--that's usually a pretty neutral outing. If you've got any other work friends, ask them, too, so it seems like less of a one-on-one "date".
Yep, lunch.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM

576 posts, read 818,376 times
We both use various locations so I was thinking to ask him to be my workout buddy and go workout sometime.Do you think he will see right through this?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
We both use various locations so I was thinking to ask him to be my workout buddy and go workout sometime.Do you think he will see right through this?
Probably. Besides, working out together is on a different level, to me, than "just lunch" or coffee.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,798,340 times
While talking, somehow mention your bf.

Example: "My bf doesn't work out as much, so I go alone for the most part."
"My bf doesnt like this xyz restaurant but I do, so I often go there for lunch."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships