Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Not sure what age range is young but it hasn't been tough for me at all. I'm 28 btw. For me being a parent did not change anything in terms of men interested in being with me. I'm not the representative of all single moms but honestly I think people believe that because they aren't attracted to single mothers that all men think like them and that this means most single moms struggle. That's the power of projection-you start to assume that everything you believe and experience is what others experience. I know there are single mothers that never get remarried, that struggle with dating, that do have men running in the other direction, but I also know plenty of women like myself, who don't have any issue at all in the men department. In fact my issue is always opposite-I feel like men place me on a pedestal far too often and tend to want to step in and have more of a role in my life than I want them to, and are willing to commit before I'm ready for it.

As bad as it sounds a lot of men that I've dated come from single parent households or have women in their family that are single mothers so they are more understanding. But I believe this may be partially cultural-blacks have a higher single parent household and so a lot of the men I've dated don't seem to be as bothered by it. On the other hand I do know that there are black men that would not date a single mother--I just don't run into them.

I think the op and others like her, have a tough time, but that isn't the case for all of us.
The single mother thing isn't just a black thing, plenty of white women are single mothers. My mom was so I see both sides of this equation. Being a kid raised by a single mother and then being a man that went on to have dates with single mothers.

I think as shallow and crappy as it sounds you might have a better shot dating as a single mother if you're a hottie. You probably are an attractive enough woman and being that you're getting closer to 30 the demo of single women that are childless shrinks every year as a woman ages. I pulled up some website and the percentage people who are childless is only around 19 percent for women under 40. That basically means that 80 percent of the general population has kids so that also probably adds to a more accepting attitude toward dating parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:55 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I feel like the OP is like one of those people who pins all of her hopes on winning the lottery, endlessly trying different strategies and combinations of digits to hit the jackpot.

She needs to stop focusing on some magic mix of male attributes and simply get her **** together without a man.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Single mom's are scary.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Being single myself and childless, I much prefer to date someone that doesn't have children
This especially applies when you are really young. You don't wanna be a 22 yr old person dating someone with kids already, you should be out doing things that young people do, fun trips, going to festivals, wine tasting, whatever is your bag. Yeah, you can do that stuff with a person that has kids, but it just gets harder, have to have sitters for the kids for activities that aren't age friendly, can't just pick up at the spur of the moment and drive to Vegas for some fun, whatever it is. I'm not trying to be mean here to the single parents, but I went out with a couple of single mothers and it was always a planned event, one of them was my GF and she couldn't ever spend the night at my house as she wanted to be there for her son in the morning, I get it, really I do, but low 20's is a time for less responsibility, not more, more responsibility will always come as you get older.

Young people should enjoy themselves and be as free as you can... because trust me, life and responsibility comea barreling down at ya, like the light in the tunnel.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Other parents were not involved in my last relationship. My last boyfriend has a great relationship with his exinlaws. The mothers are not involved. So no, outside parents issues effecting the kids. All the kids involved had no recollection of their bio parents even being together. His kids just don't like my kids. They like me.
They are indirectly involved. Your daughter has the scars of losing her biological father and her step father, and both of your children are effected by the behavior of your son's father. Your now ex-boyfriend's kids vividly remember such incidents as their respective mothers selling their things for drug money. The children may not have any memory of their parents as couples, but they have all been subject to a lifetime of instability and poor parenting (not suggesting you are a bad parent, btw). They don't have the benefit of all of their parents cooperating as a unit, and it's no surprise that his kids would push you away when things are getting too close to a family arrangement; the only way to avoid getting hurt again is to keep a safe distance.

His kids may like you... but they don't like you enough to accept your children

Old 03-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Single mom's are scary.

LOL

Don't be a silly goose as my MIL says.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL

Don't be a silly goose as my MIL says.
Think about it, they have to be the mom and dad.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Think about it, they have to be the mom and dad.
They have a hard job and I have respect for single mothers, I was raised by one. I make no bones about not wanting to date women with kids when I was single, but that doesn't change my respect for how tough a job it is.

Keep your chin up momma.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
This thread, along with the dude who says he is into big chicks but won't commit, and the however old introvert virgins are so tired on city data.

I married a single mom, but it was with expectations we were having kids in the future. No way I would've dated a smom who wanted no more kids.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
They have a hard job and I have respect for single mothers, I was raised by one. I make no bones about not wanting to date women with kids when I was single, but that doesn't change my respect for how tough a job it is.

Keep your chin up momma.
Yeah teaching a boy to shave is rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships