Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 01:38 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

FWIW, I met my ex online (Yahoo) in 1999. Whole different world back then.
No kidding! I met LH in 1999 at work. I met my best friend in 2010 in the back of a dumpster. We love to see the looks on people's faces when we tell them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Yes that is common question but when I said no one mentions it what I mean is that in this type of conversation no one has answered with "I met so through old(insert random old site). They will say "I met him at a party, or at church, or through Calvin, or at work, or at the mall... Because like I said no one that I'm closely friends with has formed a relationship using old.
Ah, gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
No kidding! I met LH in 1999 at work. I met my best friend in 2010 in the back of a dumpster. We love to see the looks on people's faces when we tell them that.
I sense a story behind that.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Neither of us shed a tear, and we went right back to being friends. Idk. But I have not replaced anyone.
So you didn't love him?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
I will weigh in on the asking of where did you meet. I've been asked this a lot and I've asked of a lot of other people. I think it's interesting how people met their partners. I also know very few people who met a long-term partner on OLD.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I will weigh in on the asking of where did you meet. I've been asked this a lot and I've asked of a lot of other people. I think it's interesting how people met their partners. I also know very few people who met a long-term partner on OLD.
I can think of three friends who met their now spouses on eHarmony and one from Match (all at least 5+ years ago), but I don't know anyone else whose had a relationship from OLD last more than a year or two, tops.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Most studies show that the there is no difference in the general characteristics of long-term relationship and marriage partners between on-line dating and traditional dating methods. This is to say that people's preferences change just because they go on-line to search out partners.

The big question is: is the cost the same? Most people naturally think the internet is the cheapest approach. I wonder.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The big question is: is the cost the same? Most people naturally think the internet is the cheapest approach. I wonder.
I guess it depends on how you think of it. I go out a ton more on dates because of OLD, so it adds up. Dating would be very cheap if I didn't have OLD as I would rarely be on a date. So, while that is good for savings, it isn't good for dating.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I sense a story behind that.
Yeah, but the punchline is more interesting than the story.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on Match to see if it's worth giving them another shot. Just using the age range of 35-48 and 25 miles of my zip code, it brings up 2000+ matches. Narrow that down to doesn't smoke and doesn't want kids (but may or may not already have them), and it drops to 160, 69 of whom haven't been on the site in over 3 weeks. And who knows how many of them are active users with paid memberships? I know from past experience Match advertises inactive profiles as active. So probably not worth it.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Yeah, but the punchline is more interesting than the story.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on Match to see if it's worth giving them another shot. Just using the age range of 35-48 and 25 miles of my zip code, it brings up 2000+ matches. Narrow that down to doesn't smoke and doesn't want kids (but may or may not already have them), and it drops to 160, 69 of whom haven't been on the site in over 3 weeks. And who knows how many of them are active users with paid memberships? I know from past experience Match advertises inactive profiles as active. So probably not worth it.

The bold is what bothered me about Match. Match was the last site I tried and I noticed the same trend on saw on the free sites. I saw several profiles of people that were on POF and/or OKC. I had a pretty good hunch that these people weren't going to pay for a membership either. I went on 3 dates from Match. Only one of them I went out with more than once, and it fizzled rather quickly. One of the dates I traveled nearly 80 miles for.

Sure, I saw a couple more profiles of quality compared to POF or OKC, but it wasn't enough to justify the cost. I initially signed up for a 3 month membership and I spent more time messaging and not getting much back in response. Then I'd quit for a couple months, get a little antsy and then renew for 30 days. I kept running into the same problem on the 2-3 different times I did the 30 day re up. The same people were on and you never knew who was paying for a membership and who wasn't.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
I moved to a different area so have decided to try OLD again up this way. Just the free sites though as I'm not paying for this anymore. I've had more success landing dates on POF and OK Cupid anyways, even though they haven't escalated to anything really. Match is good for virtual dating scammers I find. For example can you send 2 grand to Africa to help me pay for me to live over here? << that actually was said to me after 3 weeks of online discussion.

OLD is on the table but I'm not expecting much from it anymore. I just had a severely obese woman message me. I messaged her kindly stating I was did not have an attraction. I take care of myself both physically and mentally. I don't expect an athlete but a woman has to respect their body and not let it go otherwise there is no attraction.

What's displayed on the outside is a reflection of what's happening on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships